BBC Iplayer

Options
why on my PC do I have to register/sign in, yet on my smart tv it is available without doing so ??

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They've started asking people to log in - that's spreading across different platforms. It hasn't hit your smart TV yet (it has hit mine) - if you really want to, you can look for a software update for your TV!
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    so I'll have to faff about on the tv too... where would this update be. What would that do then - then there would be no need to log in/register ?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you sure you have not already signed in on tv ??

All the other catchups are going down the sign in route.

I now have had to sign in on my Smart TV .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @castle96
    The TV manufacturer is responsible for supplying updated software for the TV.
    Normally they provide a menu option in the TV setup to check for new software which you can then install.
    Now some TV manufacturers stop updating TV's after a while. Mine did after 1 year - thank you Samsung.
    And at some point in the very near future the BBC iplayer will stop working on TV's which do not have a login screen for their app.
    The BBC have to enforce logins as part of commitments made to the Government.
  • castle96
    Options
    thanks all. Sky > Services > Software …… no. Nothing to adjust or update. Maybe it is auto ? TV 3 yrs old Samsung Smart

Is this new 'sign in' some way of checking whether you have a licence ??!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    castle96 wrote: »
    thanks all. Sky > Services > Software …… no. Nothing to adjust or update. Maybe it is auto ? TV 3 yrs old Samsung Smart

Is this new 'sign in' some way of checking whether you have a licence ??!

You say "on your smart tv" and then say SKY. Which is it. Sky don;t make tv's as far as I know.

And iplayer /bbc catch up on sky is really a different platform to "real" iplayer. And sky (presumably) pay the bbc for this, so no need to sign in.
  • castle96
    edited 10 November 2018 at 11:07AM
    Options
    I access my viewing via Sky on the smart TV. Sorry, obviously I should have said this.
    So no sign in if I use Sky rather than Freeview - good.

Still wonder why I would have to do it on PC though, but no worries.

Still wonder whether this is a 'tracing' services for licences
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Options
    You only need to register once,then when you login it remembers your info.

Like a lot of other things.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Recently had to log in to use BBC I Player on my 2* Now TV boxes - bit of a faff as I had to log into the website on another device via browser on the same network. But hopefully its a one off.
    Some time ago I had a similar faff with ALL4 - so far hasn't happened with ITV Hub or Channel5
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll know if you already logged in as it will ask you which user wants to log in - we have one for me, missus, and grandkids, which saves having loads of cbeebies stuff on our watch next lists. My youview box asked for a login ages ago, smart TV asked recently but I only used it while youview box was having a fit, so may have been wanting a login ages ago. I'm sure you right that it is linked to licensing, but doubt they can trace where you are logging in from, although you have to give them your details when you create an account so you can login.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure