Help, been sold a stolen car

Options

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you read my comment about no proof, that is in relation to the idea of compensating people. My point is precisely that we do accept that it happened at the moment because there is nothing to gain, but if they were liable to be compensated for the full amount, we couldn't just accept it as there would be so much to gain. If such claims were possible then taking money out of the bank and making it disappear would obviously be easy.
    I have not for a moment suggested they didn't pay the £15,000 in this instance; there's no reason for them to make it up.

Well there is a way for OP to be compensated and civil law works on the balance of probability.

But heres a question for you, if they didn't pay the £15,000 then how did they end up with the car?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I answered one point of the OP's regarding compensation and have since then replied to questions raised to me. What is it with people at the moment asking questions and then complaining when people answer them?

Maybe if you hadn’t of jumped in with both feet.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Well there is a way for OP to be compensated and civil law works on the balance of probability.

But heres a question for you, if they didn't pay the £15,000 then how did they end up with the car?

They did pay the £15,000. Are you listening to me? I said that if we compensated people in cases like this then there would be false claims.

A civil case is an entirely different thing from compensation for criminal acts. It's simply not relevant to what I said. I hope the criminal is convicted AND that they can sue him, but that's something else entirely. They need to get the police involved and identify him before they can do that though.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Maybe if you hadn’t of jumped in with both feet.

Maybe what would would have happened? What's your point?

I made a comment; it's a forum; that happens. If you want me to stop replying to you I suggest you stop trying to make cryptic posts. Do you think you are "helping the OP"?
  • marie3196658
    marie3196658 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Well at least you have a starting point!

Obviously you will need to let the police know this address, but I would start googling the person and seeing if you can track down whoever sold it to you and if they are still at that address.

Your next step would be a court claim against them.

How long did they own the car for?

We have owned the car since November 2017
  • marie3196658
    Options
    So have you involved the old bill? am bloody sure i would of by now i'd be staking the area out looking for the toe rag

Yes the police are involved
  • marie3196658
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    You did an HPI check. Sending off the paperwork is irrelevant. Did you meet the t&c's for their guarantee?

Yes I think so and the hip ch3ck was done with experian who are looking onto it for me
  • marie3196658
    Options
    Is that a serious question? Giving £15,000 in cash to any private individual for a car is careless. Giving £15,000 in cash to someone you don't even have a verified name and address for or when you haven't seen a V5 is very careless. Doing it when both are true is insane.

There was a V5 in place, which had the guys name and address of where we went and the correct VIN number which we double checked on the windscreen. I don't mean to sound nasty towards anyone for criticising our purchase and how we did it but we did everything we could of done to make sure that vehicle was not stolen and we were failed because the car had been cloned
  • marie3196658
    Options
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/55/55-ask.htm

Did you have the car insured OP? It appears the ombudsman might side with you depending on whether you took reasonable steps and acted in good faith.

As for no proof they paid the money to anyone....I daresay OP didn't have £15,000 sitting around the house and would have withdrawn it from a bank account shortly before completing the purchase.

You said it was at the address on the V5.....was it just outside the house or did you actually see them enter/exit the house at any point?

We went outside a block of apartments which he entered onto. We didn't see which apartment he entered but he returned with all the paperwork which we checked and said his wife was inside getting the baby to sleep. We thought this was a good enough reason why he didnt invite us in
  • marie3196658
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    If nothing else I hope this shows skimping on an HPI check when paying by cash can be a false economy.

When making what is often the second biggest purchase of your life it really is better to be safe than sorry.

We didn't skimp on a hpi check. We did one and it came back clear. The problem is however that the number plates were false and so I was checking a car that hadn't been stolen rather than the car we were buying, which should of had different number plates had it not been stole, we have taken every step we could to make sure we wasn't buying a stolen car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure