Paying for a wedding in Dubrovnik

Options
Hi all

I have had a look through the forums and found some really useful info.

I am getting married in August in Dubrovnik. We have paid all of our deposits via transfairwise.

The outstanding amounts all have to be paid after the wedding.

Hotel bill - €7,000
2nd day party €2200
Other items €2000

I have a revolut card which I use a lot when I travel, I also have a monzo card which I have not used yet.

What would be the best advice when paying such large amounts? I am thinking to use Revolut for it and maybe my partner can signup for one also just to keep the total amounts separate.

Am I correct in thinking there are no limits of spend with Revolut if I use the card and it is not a withdrawal?

I have already been verified on revolut. Any other advice or methods would be very welcome. I am considering to start adding the funds this week to the card since the exchange rate is currently pretty decent.

Thanks in advance for any help & guidance.

Paddy

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    So they'll take a debit/credit card for the balance?

If so perhaps open a Metrobank current account and put enough GBP in it to pay the bill. A zero fee credit card (eg Barclaycard travel card, Halifax Clarity) might be better/safer but you'd need a big limit.

Hotels in Croatia (like a lot of other countries with a minor currency) have an annoying habit of quoting prices in EUR but then charging you in Kuna when you're there. Normally not an issue as they usually use a reasonable exchange rate, but for that sort of amount I'd be wanting a firm quote in the currency I'm going to be paying in!

Suggest you ask them what currency they're actually going to charge you in. If Kuna, then ask them what exchange rate they'll be using.
  • paddyob
    paddyob Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I will double check with them. The contract is stated in Euro so I'd like to think they will stick to that.

Yes we will be paying by debit card ideally, I could get a credit card if it works out better.

Would you advise against Revolut?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    paddyob wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I will double check with them. The contract is stated in Euro so I'd like to think they will stick to that.

Yes we will be paying by debit card ideally, I could get a credit card if it works out better.

Would you advise against Revolut?
    I think you'll find they'll charge in Kuna, everywhere in Croatia in tourist areas you see EUR prices but they charge in Kuna. Every hotel I've booked there quoted price in EUR but charged in Kuna.

Sorry never used Revolut so don't know anything about it. Others on here seem to use it so hopefully someone else will be along to advise...
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Paying just a small amount of each part of the booking by credit card may get you some consumer protection (Section 75) for the whole booking.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Revolut will be fine, if used correctly. Your annual limit is probably £25k unless raised. If you avoid paying on a weekend your funds will be converted to local currency at the interbank rate (make sure they don't take pounds and use their own rate).

Monzo likewise (MasterCard rate any day).
    Evolution, not revolution
  • paddyob
    paddyob Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go with 2 revolut cards.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    See if you can get the Tandem credit card: not only does not make any charge for foreign currency transactions but it even pays a small amount in cashback. Sadly, I doubt if it would give you a high enough credit limit to cover all your expenditure, but worth exploring.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    The only thing I do with my revolut card is to freeze it when I'm not using it.

Of course the only rider on that is you have to remember to unfreeze it before you try & make a payment otherwise the payment fails lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure