PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour turned off gas supply

Options
My neighbour for the last week minimum has been going into my gas meter box and shutting off my gas supply between 7 and 8.30pm and turning it back on at 6am when he leaves for work!! So at night I've had no hot water or central heating and after exhausting every other thing it might be I finally clicked what's been going on and I was right!! When I opened the box that houses the gas meter and checking what position the handle should be with a neighbours gas meter it was obvious mine had been deliberately turned off.

Funnily enough he'd complained about the boiler vibrating after the heating has been on for a few hours and he said he couldn't get a proper nights sleep, well whenever I heard it usually literally 5 minutes after it started making the vibrating noise I turned the tap on which relieved the pressure and stopped the boiler from vibrating!

But for my neighbour to take it upon himself to turn my gas off is surely against the law? Tampering with someone else's gas supply being the offence?

Had I not had a backup form of heating in the form of an electric fan heater I would have been freezing and 1 of the nights before I got the fan heater I was so cold because the temperature was -4 outside that my skin even changed colour to a purply blue colour, this is due to long term illness which has led to poor circulation.

I have emailed the landlord to broach this subject with my neighbour even though I've no actual proof it was definitely him, but the times it goes off and comes back on all coincide with when my neighbour leaves for work (when the gas supply comes back on) and when he comes home from work it mysteriously turns off between 7pm and 8.30pm, I got picked up by a friend of mine tonight at 8.15pm and as we drove off to go to the supermarket I saw my neighbour clear as day come out of the front door and when I checked the gas meter shortly after I'd got back at around 10pm the gas supply had been turned off!

Does anybody else have any further advice I need to be aware of??

Comments

• Fisa002
    Fisa002 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    I suggest you install a small hidden camera and catch him. That!!!8217;s all the proof you would need. Am pretty sure it!!!8217;s illegal what he is doing.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stick a padlock on the meter box

Tell him to stop
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Labtec81
    Labtec81 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stator would I be able to do this? As it would include drilling holes in the side of the meter box at both the front and side of the box, to accommodate a padlock, I just wondered if this was illegal to do as it would then restrict access to the gas supply company as well who wouldn't be able to get access if I wasn't at home should they need to for any reason.

Also drilling the box would cause damage to it and I don't really know who owns the gas meter box as in the gas supplier or whoever.

I'm happy to put a padlock on it of course, just don't want to break any laws while doing so.

And I would tell the neighbour doing it to stop but he's the type of person who'd deny it anyway and just carry on doing it... Also he's said things about me in the past while walking upstairs to his flat like I wouldn't hear him, along the lines of I'm a f*cking cripple which he denied saying to the landlord when confronted by him but soon back tracked when he was told I'd recorded him saying it, even though I actually hadn't.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 1:24AM
    Options
    What's it got to do with the landlord? Why are you expecting them to broach it with the neighbour - it's not their responsibility what your neighbour gets up to.

Might be more effective to ask them to get the boiler looked at if it's vibrating so much it can be heard next door.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Labtec81
    Options
    Well obviously one of his other tenants is interfering with my gas supply!! And of course it's their responsibility to confront my neighbour if he's causing a nuisance by what he's doing!

So ask me again what it's got to do with the landlord, hmm let's see... It's one of HIS tenants interfering with another tenants gas supply, who do you suggest to contact if not the landlord!!

Clearly the landlord should get involved, if I were a landlord I'd want to know if I had multiple tenants if one of them was causing a nuisance to another of my tenants! And obviously the landlord has the power to do something about it, even just having a word with him might stop it from happening again.

And the boiler is being looked at BUT the fact it vibrates does NOT give my neighbour the right to turn off my gas supply!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 February 2018 at 2:00AM
    Options
    I agree that the only thing you can do is lock the box the meter is in. Its the same as having a meter behind a locked front door, the meter guy wouldn't be able to access it without you being there.

But perhaps you could leave the padlock off if you know when the meter needs looking at, just for that one day. Or phone and see if you can get an appointment for meter reading. or give a key to a trustworthy neighbour with instructions to only give it to someone official.

But I am afraid there is no 'of course' in this instance with what a LL has to do. He doesn't 'have to' chastise another tenant in a case like this. Sorry. All you can do is obtain evidence and see if the police will chase it up. No guarantees there I'm afraid with murders, robberies, car crashes etc going on much as what your neighbour may be doing is interfering with your gas supply and creating a situation for you.
  • Labtec81
    Options
    Thanks for the advice deannatrois, I'll proceed with the padlock and hopefully that will be an end to it.

And AFF8879 I agree with you but the boiler doesn't actually vibrate that loud, I think it's more the pipes with trapped air, I did what others have suggested in the past and bled all the radiators to get rid of any trapped air but very little came out of the radiators at all, it's just that the proximity to my neighbours flat is very close, from door to door you're talking not even 1 metre, so he can hear the slightest noise and vice-versa.

Anyway since I turned the gas back on and restarted the boiler I've had the heating on for the last 4 hours with no noises whatsoever.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Labtec81 wrote: »
    Well obviously one of his other tenants is interfering with my gas supply!! And of course it's their responsibility to confront my neighbour if he's causing a nuisance by what he's doing!
    It might be 'obvious' to you, but as you still have no direct proof at present, it's a little premature to be expecting your landlord to intervene.

Your landlord isn't your parent and you're not a child, so in the first instance it's your responsibility to ascertain who's turning the gas off and then to confront the person doing it.

Depending on the reaction you get, you might then decide inform the police, especially if it keeps happening, because actions like that are harrassment.

You would then tell the landlord for their information, or if you wanted to install some kind of locking device on the box.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you're going to confront the neighbour, I suggest you do record the conversation, even if it's with a phone in a pocket, so you have some record of it.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Labtec81 wrote: »
    I just wondered if this was illegal to do as it would then restrict access to the gas supply company as well who wouldn't be able to get access if I wasn't at home should they need to for any reason.

I'm happy to put a padlock on it of course, just don't want to break any laws while doing so.
    The valve for everywhere I've lived has been inside the property, so if they can cope with getting through a locked front door I expect they can handle a padlock.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure