Options
2»

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7596995

The parents will get the hint and the kid(s) can carry on playing. Cost wise its probably cheaper and more effective than any remedial action you can do on your side.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2018 at 1:38PM
    Options
    loveka wrote: »
    The only sound proofing you can get (we have the same problem as you) is fencing that is the same as used on motorways. However, I am not sure if it would help with impact noise. Hence we didn't buy it.

A loud water feature can help. A 6 foot brick wall, as well as a fence, with maybe some bamboo might make a difference. But you would lose space as it would have to be on your side.

If it is your fence, legally they can't touch it with anything. You could claim the cost of anything they have destroyed.

I feel your pain. The thud, thud accompanied by very loud screaming really is the pits.

Thank you.
    I'm thinking of plywood on my side of the fence, then rubber sound proofing, then a 6 ft wall. On my side of the wall, trees and dense vegetation. That should help provide some insulation from chav disease.
  • PhilE
    edited 13 July 2018 at 1:39PM
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7596995

The parents will get the hint and the kid(s) can carry on playing. Cost wise its probably cheaper and more effective than any remedial action you can do on your side.

He has refused to put up a net.

I did the polite approach a year ago.
  • PhilE
    Options
    If the fence is at the stage where it's soon to break .... I'd just use 2-3 horizontal bits of wire .... and grow a prickly bush there. Really prickly .... I might even paint it with jam to attract wasps if they really pee'd me off once that's up.

Bugga Em.

Chavs need to be stopped.

I can't understand why any parent would allow their kid to kick balls against any property boundary fences ... without confiscating the ball and smacking them on the 4rse and sending them to their room.

I agree, we must all make a stand against the chav.

They used to kick three balls a day over(father and kids), smashed up plants and ornaments, pound the fence and if anyone complains he gets offended. The police have stepped in on that account, and are firmly on my side. They are not impressed by his behavior, and have informed me they will be keeping an eye.

The noise isn't a criminal matter though, its a statutory nuisance. The council have informed me they will be having a chat with him. But I also want a nice, dense barrier up there. Prickly holly together with fast growing trees could be the way to go.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want really prickly bushes plant a Pyracantha hedge.
    Pyracantha (Firethorn)

Pyracantha is a fast-growing, evergreen hedging plant with thorns making it an excellent security barrier or screen. It has white flowers in the summer, followed by bright red, yellow or orange berries in the autumn (depending on the variety) making it an attractive ornamental garden hedge. Pyracantha can also been grown against a wall, trellis or fence and is self-supporting.

Why plant a Pyracantha hedge?

Thorny branches - excellent for security
    Fast-growing
    Evergreen
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    And?

Its a public forum and I've posted about an issue, as we all do.

The police have stepped in regarding criminal damage, its the sound issues I'm working on now.

You say you want trees to deflect the balls, but you needed something like that before, which is why I mentioned it.

Had you planted trees last autumn, they would be establishing by now, but for your own reasons you didn't. You've lost a year.

Some trees we planted here in 2014 are now over 15' high. None cost more than a fiver bare-rooted.

If you just want something prickly for security, then pyracantha, as mentioned above, is good.

Sound is much more difficult. I persuaded a noisy neighbour to plant leylandii, which deadened the sound in his barren yard considerably, but it was not as effective as having him change his behaviour. Laurel bushes I planted around 2014 are really getting going now, but I'm not sure they will make much difference, no matter how thick they get.
  • PhilE
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    You say you want trees to deflect the balls, but you needed something like that before, which is why I mentioned it.

Had you planted trees last autumn, they would be establishing by now, but for your own reasons you didn't. You've lost a year.

There was a reason for not planting trees, please don't assume that someone is not taking advice, without knowing their full situation.

The balls coming over has been minimized by the police having a chat. I'm going to have trees as ball deflectors put up anyway.

Vegetation wont do much for noise, which is why I'm exploring soundproof fencing, a wall with rubber insulation/plywood.
  • PhilE
    Options
    One thing I may do one day if I'm inclined, based on a video I saw.

Get a microphone next to the fence plus loudspeakers that plays back all loud noises at high volume, three times. Easy to do on a laptop.

So every time they bang the fence, they hear the noise they made three times. Then have opera playing constantly, in a 10 second loop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure