PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Burnt Le Creuset Pan

Options

Comments

• shetitasatic
    Options
    My Le Creuset pans have discoloured over the years and I have regularly used bleach to revive the colour inside. I leave overnight to soak with a slosh of bleach topped up with cold water - the difference is amazing!! As the previous poster said they do need a good wash out to remove any lingering bleach!!
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Mine have recently been rehomed after constant use since 1976 - the older I got the heavier they got. I used a tablespoonful of bicarb in pan full of water, bring to boil and leave overnight. That used to shift most of the discolouration, and what was left I considered a badge of honour that they were actually being used for cooking rather than for decorating the kitchen.
  • Greenwellies_2
    Options
    Thanks everyone, the tin foil technique wouldn't apply as these are enamelled cast iron pans.

Today I went to Asda, I brought some thin bleach and hey-presto it's almost like new!

Thanks to everyone :)

Greenwellies
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    glad i have found this thread, 2 of my set are looking a bit discoloured so will give this a go tonight, i love my pans they took some getting used to but am fine with them now, will have to make a trip to the factory shop near me as there is a few bits i want
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • mudpie
    Options
    I had an awful incident with some home made pasta sauce and had made several attempts to remove the burnt bits and stains. The best method seems to be boiling one scoop of stain remover washing powder (such as Vanish) with a few inches of water. It takes about half an hour on the heat. I did wash the pot out several times afterwards and then coat the inside with cooking oil. The care instructions say this should be done to restore shine.

I don't think it is a good idea to do this too often as it could damage the enamel but once, in an emergency, should not be too bad.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    How interesting that this thread has revived after so long. I use two less invasive methods. Let a tomato-based sauce like Bolognese cook and go cold in the dish and then a plastic spatula will lift some off. And then cook white basmati rice by absorption and this will remove much of the residual discolouration, without any fear of contaminating the inside of the dishes with toxic cleaning products. My big LeCreuset is the old orange colour, over thirty years old and was my Mother's before mine (too big for her now!). It is not perfect but I am not ashamed of it and the enamel remains intact.

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    How interesting that this thread has revived after so long. I use two less invasive methods. Let a tomato-based sauce like Bolognese cook and go cold in the dish and then a plastic spatula will lift some off. And then cook white basmati rice by absorption and this will remove much of the residual discolouration, without any fear of contaminating the inside of the dishes with toxic cleaning products. My big LeCreuset is the old orange colour, over thirty years old and was my Mother's before mine (too big for her now!). It is not perfect but I am not ashamed of it and the enamel remains intact.

SL

Exactly the same as mine (I also have an oven tray that is waiting to be passed to me as it doesn't fit in my mums oven) I love the discolouration on mine, it reminds me of all the use its had and the meals that were cooked in it for me as a kid, I don't want it perfect.

love the volcanic orange colour too - only bit that is missing is the plastic lid cover that used to go over the lid handle if using it on the stove - my mum forgot about it once and apparently plastic melts in the oven :rotfl:
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• honeythewitch
    Options
    I boil mine with a dishwasher tablet, and I just use bleach to remove stains.
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    - probably a daft question but should I care about the enamel changing colour?

I haven't 'til now?
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • pjaj
    pjaj Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2018 at 2:22PM
    Options
    I've tried the vinegar / baking soda method to no avail.
    If it's LeCreuset then DON'T use anything abrasive, wire wool, steel scrubbers, Bar Keepers Friend, metal tools etc, you will permanently damage the enamel IMHO, LeCreuset enamel is relatively soft and easy to damage.
    I did find this method on an American site It got far more votes than any other.
    Add about 1/2 inch of Hydrogen Peroxide to the pot. Add about 1-2 tsp of baking soda.
    Heat until it starts to bubble up. It needs the heat to start the reaction. Simmer about 10 mins..and brush with a green scrub brush. Repeat as needed.
    It gets into the bond of the carbon and lifts it of the pan. It will bubble and stink, so turn on your vent. But it won't harm the enamel.
    I'm going to try it as soon as I can get some Hydrogen Peroxide.

Yes, peroxide method works without damaging the enamel. Personally I wouldn't buy LeCreuset ever again. They are over priced, the off white enamel is far from non-stick, food burns onto it very easily, it's easily damaged and scratched and there seems to be no method of refurbishing it.
    Sent from my abacus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport