Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    It will give you pleasure to have the birds fluttering around outside your window so probably worth the expense :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 14 June 2018 at 12:14AM
    Options
    Follow-up appointment today at the Very Big Hospital, so I absconded to the nearby town afterwards and did a bit of shopping. I probably shouldn't admit that on here. :D

I spent quite a while trying to find a cardigan I liked, completely unsuccessfully, but did manage to fill a long-standing want in my wardrobe with a rather lovely scarf. Not that I don't have far too many scarves already, but I had been on the lookout for a plain white one for a very long time and now I have it.

Hospital was really interesting as I had the dressing removed and no longer need to wear a sling (apart from where there's a need to give a visual signal that the arm needs space). The bone hasn't started to heal yet but the surgical wound is healing very well. I did get to look at a whole set of xrays so I understand better what's going on. For someone who's squeamish, I'm surprised how closely I wanted to look! I did treat myself to coffee in the restaurant while waiting for my appointment, but took snacks in so I didn't buy lunch while I was out.

I've walked soooo far today: 18,000 steps! I was very tired by this evening. Tomorrow is a physio appointment but that's within easy reach of home.

I'm signed off work till near the end of July.

Spends:
    Travel £9.80
    Coffee (entertainment) £1.70
    Donation £1.00
    Clothes £15.00
    new charger cable (I forget what that comes under) - £3.50
    Housekeeping £1.00
    Gifts £11.98 (starting Christmas shopping!)
    Holiday (sand-proof phone bag) - £1.49

MS stuff:
    Got a lift there so only had to get a single ticket home - saved about a fiver.
    Took lunch and water.
    Put back a top and trousers I nearly bought.

Confession time:
    Could have gone straight home instead of spending about £45.

ETA - I had a phone call from DS1: their buyer needs to leave her current accommodation in two weeks' time and hadn't thought to tell them! They thought they were still working to the middle of July. It sounds as though I need to get an action plan and my lists need to be more about clearing and decluttering ready for their stay rather than sorting finances out.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    So: today I need to focus and see visible progress, fitted round a physio appointment and some extraordinarily windy weather.

Here are the lists:
    General:
    • wash hair
    • physio appointment
    • grocery shopping
    • check if prescription has come through

tidying/decluttering:
    • wrap sold item and check if payment is through/take to Post Office if paid
    • tidy round in lounge
    • categorise paperwork currently strewn over dining table
    • tidy round in bathroom and take any recycling out
    • message DD about where to put her ornaments while DS2 uses her room
    • tidy DD's room of anything that shouldn't be there
    • our bedroom (worst room!) write out a plan of action with 14 items - one a day till 'moving' day!
    • Kitchen - measure cupboard space for a box for overflow of spices which currently get in the way

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    I think I've been overdoing it - fit for nothing this evening so I'll be off to bed soon. I made a little progress on the lists but just ran out of oomph. I did get lots of washing done, though, and dried once the wind dropped.

I knew it was going to be an expensive week for cleaning products: lots running out at once. As I can't carry much it's going to be either little and often (more expensive), bulk order online (lack of storage) or try to organise buying for when there's someone with a car.
    General:
    wash hair - done
    physio appointment done
    grocery shoppingdone by DH
    check if prescription has come through

tidying/decluttering:
    wrap sold item and check if payment is through/take to Post Office if paid not paid yet
    tidy round in lounge done
    categorise paperwork currently strewn over dining table
    tidy round in bathroom and take any recycling out done
    message DD about where to put her ornaments while DS2 uses her roomdone
    tidy DD's room of anything that shouldn't be there
    our bedroom (worst room!) write out a plan of action with 14 items - one a day till 'moving' day!
    Kitchen - measure cupboard space for a box for overflow of spices which currently get in the way

Spends:
    Housekeeping £11.48

10th coin savings 20p.

• Cherryfudge
    edited 16 June 2018 at 11:37AM
    Options
    Oops, didn't manage to post last night. Yesterday I spent £3.20 on groceries, used up a bit from the freezer and cupboards and entirely failed to find a suitable bathroom cabinet that we like and can collect and is under £300! 10th coin savings 15p.

I had a really nice time chatting with a colleague who came round to see me, and I didn't walk too far - the foot has been telling me I overdid it earlier in the week. Today the arm is achy but to my delight an irritating stitch has now come off so I feel another step has been taken to being back to normal. Keep up the physio :D.

It's rainy today and we have loads of DIY jobs to do - at least DH has. So far he's mended the latch on the bathroom door, fitted a new chain to a sink plug and is about to fix a pan lid. I haven't done anything so productive and DS needs to borrow my laptop so I shall report back later, hopefully with something to show for it.

• Cherryfudge
    edited 18 June 2018 at 11:19PM
    Options
    I didn't get much done today apart from laundry (small loads) and shopping. Oh, and proof reading DS2's assignment. This evening DH had to see someone about something for a committee and I'm friends with his wife so I had a lift over there and we had a catch-up. Only done about 5,500 steps but I'm ready to sleep.
    Spends:
    Housekeeping £17.78
    MS stuff:
    Made puddings to take to a BBQ tomorrow.
    Mended some summer trousers so I can wear them again.

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad your arm is healing nicely :) You'll soon be back to normal.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 June 2018 at 7:22PM
    Options
    Hi Cherry,I've just been catching up on your diary,I'm so sorry to hear you had a fall too,I think i got off lightly as at least i didn't break anything,I hope you have a speedy recovery and your arm doesn't give you any trouble xx
    Edited to say congrats on the dolls house,I've had such fun doing mine,I buy stuff from The Dolls House Emporium and another site called Minimum World,I always wait for the sales as they are usually really good,they both do a range of furniture that is just basic wood you can paint yourself so I buy that and paint it myself,I used to use chalk paint but now use Matt emulsion as it looks the same and as the furniture isn't being used it won't wear !!!55357;!!!56842;
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Thanks SA and OBL :) Another dolls' house person, eh? Mine is 1/16th scale so a lot of things are too big but I love miniatures and there's no rush to get it kitted out.

I finally got round to posting a few items for sale and have two buyers - only a fiver's worth but I'd rather it went to someone who will enjoy it.

Nothing spent yesterday: the puddings for the BBQ helped use up some ingredients and today I'm planning on banana bread and yogurt cake which will probably get sliced up and frozen because I do not (repeat, not) need all those carbs in one go.

So far today I've downloaded a recipe book for 99p which will come off my voucher, and sent DS2 for kitchen paper (£1) which is bulky for me to carry. I need to go shopping properly later so I'll post separately with final totals.

I don't think I mentioned our kettle sprang a leak and rather than buy another DH commandeered one that his Dad had stuck in a cupboard because it was too heavy. So temporary M/S but it takes ages to switch off and we don't want to ruin the kitchen units with steam...

Here's last week's list, amended for today:
    tidying/decluttering:
    wrap sold item and check if payment is through/take to Post Office if paid - buyer is in hospital so this is on hold
    categorise paperwork currently strewn over dining table
    bake banana bread
    bake yogurt cake
    tidy DD's room of pile of papers and empty bin
    our bedroom (worst room!) - just do something!
    Kitchen - measure cupboard space for a box for overflow of spices which currently get in the way
    Put baking stuff away
    Improve area under bottom larder shelf

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I'm glad your arm is healing nicely Cherry.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure