PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyer's mail arriving - not even exchanged contracts yet!

Options
My buyers have been delaying for around 6 months now.
Their solicitor said yesterday that they cannot exchange/complete within the next 6 weeks.

Yet, today, post has started arriving for them at the property. I have told no one their details, so it's a mystery.
BUT if they want to start paying all the bills,that'll be fine by me :j

Anyone else had this with buyers?

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    There was a thread recently about this I would check your internet/sky/virgin sub to make sure they haven't tried to set that up too.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    In the past we had some mail arrive for a potential buyer,it looked to be as a result of a possible home insurance quote they did on the property,and then managed to get on a few mailing lists.

Either return it "not at this address" or leave it in a pile on the side for when they eventually move in.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depending how paranoid you are, it might be worth keeping an eye on your credit reports just on the offchance they are using your address for taking out loans, or for ID theft.

Othherwise do as needananswer suggests.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Depending how paranoid you are, it might be worth keeping an eye on your credit reports just on the offchance they are using your address for taking out loans, or for ID theft.

Othherwise do as needananswer suggests.

Solicitors are trying to get answers as I write.

The thought had crossed my mind that this could be some kind of scam as the property is unoccupied. A Council Tax bill has arrived today addressed to them (not opened it but looks like one).
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    Solicitors are trying to get answers as I write.

The thought had crossed my mind that this could be some kind of scam as the property is unoccupied. A Council Tax bill has arrived today addressed to them (not opened it but looks like one).
    Hmm.. Send it to them and with luck they'll pay your CT for you......
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    They are more than welcome to all the bills. Empty properties cost just as much to run as occupied ones!
  • lotteryman
    Options
    I' say G_M has a very good point
    If you are receiving mail, and particularly council tax bills that has all the hallmarks of potential fraud - once they are on the council tax register their names will show up when any credit searches are done allowing them all sorts of access to financial services.
    I would open what you think is the council tax bill - if it is contact the council and get them removed off the property. Also check the voting register to see if they have put themselves on that and, if so, get them removed.
    Simply sending mail back will not necessarily stop them if it is fraud - you need to be pro active.
    I would open ALL mail they receive as this may give you a better insight into what they are upto -
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    It can take months to get on the register, so I would be wary but don't panic.

I moved in July and only got on the register in Dec when they did their yearly update.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Take the mail to your solicitor or post it and request that your solicitor returns it to them because they haven't yet exchanged and it could all fall through.
  • lotteryman
    lotteryman Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 7:16PM
    Options
    the fact that it's been going on for 6 months has given them plenty of time to get up to no good!

I always adopt a 'plan for the worst, hope for the best' approach.
    What reason has their solicitor given for the delay ?

Might be worth doing a few checks on your own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport