New Broadband provider with low WiFi speeds

Options
I have just changed broadband providers to direct save telecom and the WiFi speeds within the house are terrible. There are 5 people that live in my house, we all own mobile devices which require WiFi, which is pretty typical in this day and age. I have just rung them to see what can be done, and the customer service representative was far from helpful.
When I explained the situation to him he very quickly reminded me that the service they provide does not cover WiFi connection and that any problem I had with WiFi is basically my problem as they only guarantee speeds which are wired.

This customer service representative didn’t offer to check my speeds or wanted to find a solution to the problem without it costing me more money or buying products to enhance the WiFi speeds around my home. This is something I have never had a problem with previously with other broadband providers so was reluctant to spend money where I never previously needed to.

As my line only went live on 2nd of October I asked about what cooling off period they offered as I was a new customer and as they were offering me very little to work with I would like to cancel the contract. The representative said that if I cancel now I would have to pay a cancellation charge of £199.99. Which I think is ridiculous...

Can anyone offer any advice for my current situation as I feel like they really have me over a barrel even though they are not providing me with the service that I am paying for.

Many thanks

Comments

• Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Just been on their website, which speed/package did you purchase?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Delskip82 wrote: »
    I have just changed broadband providers to direct save telecom and the WiFi speeds within the house are terrible. There are 5 people that live in my house, we all own mobile devices which require WiFi, which is pretty typical in this day and age. I have just rung them to see what can be done, and the customer service representative was far from helpful.
    When I explained the situation to him he very quickly reminded me that the service they provide does not cover WiFi connection and that any problem I had with WiFi is basically my problem as they only guarantee speeds which are wired.
    This is true of every ISP that provides a service via a wire to your property. Wi-Fi performance can be affected by many things (the construction of your house, other wi-fi networks in the area, baby monitors, microwave ovens, etc) so the ISP can't guarantee what you will get with their kit.

Delskip82 wrote: »
    Can anyone offer any advice for my current situation as I feel like they really have me over a barrel even though they are not providing me with the service that I am paying for.
    They are providing exactly what you are paying for - an internet connection that is a certain speed at the router.

What you could do yourself:
    Get your own router with better wi-fi signals
    Add wi-fi repeaters where needed
    Use powerline network wi-fi repeaters
    Set up your own mesh wi-fi network

Now BT & Sky are advertising their own mesh wi-fi kit to ensure coverage of your whole property but it is a paid add on with their services.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked your speed at the hub not wifi .
    That will tell you what is arriving at the house .
    That is what you are paying for not for wifi connections .
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Both posts are correct, but the OP has not said what package they purchased, if they went for cheapness without checking, they have probably got it!
    OP, what did you purchase, and have you done a proper speed test?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You've got to give it at least 10 days for line speed to settle down before assuming there is any problem.
    Google Dynamic Line Management.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take your mobile device into the room with the Rueter hub and do a speed test there. This will give you a representative speed of a wired connection assuming other people in the house aren’t using the Internet at the time.

You also need to check that the Wi-Fi channel is not conflicting with your Neighbours, hopefully the Rueter will be set on automatic

PS Apple voice recognition can’t spell Rueter
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    PS Apple voice recognition can’t spell Rueter

Try saying row-ter (to rhyme with cow-ter).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh. Say it the American way.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Always pronounce it as 'rowter' and not your 'rooter' to an australian - it has an entirely different meaning :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure