Dreams and wishes....

Options

Comments

• Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So far......today has been a NSD, but I'm going out for cocktails and dinner with a girly chum, and popping into Co$tco to buy KW some porridge (I know, the romance is never-ending with us!!), so it's going to be a spendy night out!

I'm also feeling a bit grrr, as my annual student loan statement has come through, and even though I was only at uni for a year doing my PGCE, and received a small discount on my tuition fee, I STILL owe £12,879!!

Dilemma time - unless I get made redundant and am unable to find another teaching job, I will now always earn over the threshold to pay back my loan. I currently pay £63 a month directly from my salary, it seems to help me pay, after interest has been added, approximately £340 off the total owed.

I'm tempted to clear the lot using my mortgage savings, as having the loan does lower the amount a bank will give me in mortgage terms, and also I feel like I'll never pay the money back otherwise.

However, it's also a lot of money to come out of the fund....

What to do??
  • Kittikins
    edited 9 August 2017 at 4:59PM
    Options
    As I haven't yet wasted money on anything (not that I've had opportunity to do so), I'm putting my final £1 coin into the jar). I have to go to a cashpoint to get cocktail money anyway, so it'll be nicer to do that with an empty purse....or something like that?!?!!

I now have a bigger jar as well, as I've just finished eating all the Marmite from the biggest jar and it's been washed out awaiting coins

Saving today £1
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I don't have any experience with student loans KK but this MSE article might help you decide

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-repay

Enjoy your cocktails & dinner !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Kittikins
    Options
    Thanks for that Skinty, just had a good read through and will not be paying it off!!

Feeling a bit CBA about actually getting up and out of the house now, it's sooooo rainy and bleugh :(
  • Kittikins
    Options
    Had a lovely evening with my friend, catching up on our news and enjoying a cocktail or three.... :) She lives very near the town centre, so we were able to walk in to find a restaurant and back (I wouldn't want to do it late at night on my own).

She's also booked DD and I in to look after her two gorgeous kitties this weekend whilst she's away, so we're looking forward to that and pizza, icecream and Netflix are on the agenda for the evening's entertainment. The cats are so cute and we have plans with KW to go bowling, swimming and to Ikea for much needed cinnamon buns etc!!

Despite feeling a bit 'tired' this morning, I still got up at 6:30 and went for a swim on my way home so that I could be back in time to take DD to her netball camp for the final day. I felt much better after my traditional 20 lengths :)

I bought a packet of Percy Pigs for the lovely children who drew my class sign and still have £14 and some pennies left from the £50 I took out of the bank yesterday. I found another 5p outside the same shop I found 5p the other day, so that, plus my 35p change, have gone into the jar.

£75.55 - I'm loaded, I tells ya, loaded!!!!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Ive been told that the student debt isn't bad debt so I think you are doing the right thing. Well done on keeping fit - I'm keeping fat! Glad you will be busy with kittens at the weekend. Sounds like you will have fun. Well done on finding 5p!
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Kittikins
    Options
    I'm way off being fit....I'm pretty much round like a ball :) but swimming is the only exercise I actually enjoy, as it gives me space to think without feeling too guilty or lazy. I'm trying to make the most of our annual membership, which only cost as much as 5 physio sessions but seems to have done more for a dodgy injured shoulder in a shorter time span!

KW, on the other hand, is becoming even more handsome by the day; he's working out 3 or 4 times a week after work (the joys of part-time working, he can go whilst it's quiet and crack on with it) and whilst I didn't think he needed to lose weight, he's getting rather chiselled in appearance *swoon*.
  • Kittikins
    Options
    92p moved from current account into savings pot :) I have very few transactions, other than cash out, during the month, but the only "perk" of being a single parent is getting my CHB and tax credits on a weekly basis. So, every Tuesday and Friday, my account gets a little boost, and it's lovely to see the balances go up!

I've got to go and pick up a book from the library in the nearest town that will be the book I use to base this term's English on. I must get some clearing out and tidying done as my room is getting me down and I know I have misplaced a lot of stuff I want for next term and it can only be in one of the collection of bags full of papers and general carp that I lugged home from school in July!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Good it sounds like you will have a busy day. I'm tidying too. Well done on saving the 92p. Every bit helps.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Kittikins
    Options
    Dear Reader, I've been spending....

I had £14 in my purse when I went out to the library yesterday, I took out £40 and have £6.50 left today...I bought some carp I really didn't need, £1 on 4 of DD's favourite choccy bar that we can take out to bowling with us tomorrow to save on buying expensive rubbish there, cheapie and delicious dinner out for me and KW and £30 went on tickets for an event for my parents as daddykin's birthday present later this month. Not sooooo bad in the grand scheme of things, but I'm kicking myself a bit about the couple of quid I spent on crap food. I blame the venue I bought the tickets from - they didn't take credit cards, so I had to go to a cashpoint..... ;):)

Food is another area where I have problems. I'm very overweight, don't like it, but suffer emotionally and tend to eat to reward or punish myself. I'm much better than I used to be, but have the occasional slip up.

73p transferred into savings account online and 5p from my purse into the jar. I was going to put the other 50p to round down my money, but need to buy pizza and icecream for DD and I tonight, so feel I 'need' my money for the weekend's shenanigans.

Today we're off to pick up some more jeggings for her as the other ones didn't fit - hopefully one of these new ones will, and that will be a £16 spend on clothes only. We also need to go to IKEA to pick something up for KW and probably buy a cinnamon bun or two.....then we're off to town for some free street festival thing and might walk past KW who's helping in a shop on our way back to kitty cuddling, pizza and Netflix.

Off to read everyone else's fab news of savings now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure