NI Credits problem

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Sorry - but Adobe Acrobat does not let you edit a form - you need Acrobat pro for that....
    Anyway - I have an appointment at the JCP with the DEA - which should help !

Honestly there is no helping some people. As I have said already, throwing up pretend roadblocks and inventing imaginary issues will not get you an ESA award.

Ignoring all the help here will not get you an ESA award.

Telling everyone forms cant be filled in online will not you an ESA award.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    yes but...

yes but...

yes but...

strangely I, also with illegible hand writing and unable to use the phone, managed to make a credits only ESA claim, which was ported to UC without really any difficulty at all. There are hoops, we all have to jump through the same ones.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If completing an ESA form, and entering the ESA process, is too arduous for the OP, he could always purchase voluntary NI contributions. (Post 2016 under the nSP)
    https://www.royallondon.com/global/documents/goodwithyourmoney/topping-up-your-state-pension-guide.pdf

But, I expect there may be forms to complete........
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 10:42AM
    Options
    Update - (for anyone still interested)
    I have heard from JCP with instructions to fill in a UC claim on-line

The link requires me to create a UC account - done
    .....And to answer the questions - including under HEALTH :
    Does your condition restrict your ability to work or look for work?

"YES"

Do you have a fit note ? - I said "NO"

I was told that I could put NO until I had got one from my GP and carry on with the rest of the form

then......

"From which date have you been unable to work?"

But I AM able to work - just not full time

What do I put down here ?
    It won't let me proceed any further until this bit is completed.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 11:12AM
    Options
    I had a similar issue, the software is written in a way that, as I think you said previously, it doesn't permit you to say that you're both disabled and able to work - the opposite of what inclusive employment strategies are supposed to do.

I can't recall for certain what I ticked but I think at that questions I added that day's date and then later on it offers you free text options and asks what work you could do. I made it clear there that I am disabled but consider myself fit for work and outlined what I could do, and also explained that there wasn't an option for disabled but fit to work.

When I had my job centre appointment I'd already been put in the not fit to look for work group, because I'd been assessed as that on ESA (which was credits only whilst I was a student) and I was a bit worried that I was contradicting this by logging job seeking activities. i didn't want to be claiming erroneously, the work coach went through all of my answers on the bit that you're doing now and said it was all fine and reflected reality.

So in summary, I'd add todays date, or if there's a specific date when you became disabled that date, and at the next free text opportunity (which will appear a few questions along) write a paragraph explaining that you put todays date and why. It's a poorly written application process
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having done a bit of googling I am not totally sure that there is an option to have a NI credits claim only for UC in your circumstances.

I would give the Universal Credit helpline a call on Monday to check:

Universal Credit helpline (full service)
    Telephone: 0800 328 5644
    Textphone: 0800 328 1344
    Telephone (Welsh language): 0800 012 1888
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Calls to this number are free.

I wouldn't want you to go through the whole process of applying (as you know you are not entitled to any UC) to find out that your NI credits will not be paid.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    w06 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue, the software is written in a way that, as I think you said previously, it doesn't permit you to say that you're both disabled and able to work - the opposite of what inclusive employment strategies are supposed to do.

I can't recall for certain what I ticked but I think at that questions I added that day's date and then later on it offers you free text options and asks what work you could do. I made it clear there that I am disabled but consider myself fit for work and outlined what I could do, and also explained that there wasn't an option for disabled but fit to work.

When I had my job centre appointment I'd already been put in the not fit to look for work group, because I'd been assessed as that on ESA (which was credits only whilst I was a student) and I was a bit worried that I was contradicting this by logging job seeking activities. i didn't want to be claiming erroneously, the work coach went through all of my answers on the bit that you're doing now and said it was all fine and reflected reality.

So in summary, I'd add todays date, or if there's a specific date when you became disabled that date, and at the next free text opportunity (which will appear a few questions along) write a paragraph explaining that you put todays date and why. It's a poorly written application process

Thanks - I'll confuse them by putting the date that I became disabled - 04/09/1990 - no idea whether it will be accepted though !
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    What does it mean by "You can't add an entry to your journal until you've made a claim"
    on the webpage ?

I have been told that I can claim NI CREDITS based on my circumstances
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 12:00PM
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Having done a bit of googling I am not totally sure that there is an option to have a NI credits claim only for UC in your circumstances.

I'd been wondering that.
    If no UC is payable (because of excess income / capital, etc) I seem to recall that the claim is eventually closed. I'm not sure it's possible to maintain a UC claim just for NI credits (without any UC payments being made). I suspect the computer is likely to say NO.

The OP may wish to look at this F of I question:
    "Please could you provide the regulations and/or guidance that describe the process for making a "credits only" claim for Universal Credit, when someone in a Full service UC area doesn't meet the NI contributions conditions for new style ESA or JSA, but also has too much income/savings for Universal Credit. "

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/claiming_new_style_esa_or_jsa_wh

If I read the response correctly, the process is that they are directed to claim JSA via a "JSANC1 form to complete and [an] .... interview" by a work coach. Then "The Work Coach will assess their entitlement to an NI credit, based upon the evidence in the form, inform them of what they need to do or keep on doing, and set them a fortnightly day of attendance."

How this works in practice is anyone's guess.
    I would be surprised if a UC call-handler or a JC work coach would have the faintest clue of this procedure.
    I suspect it was overlooked in the glorious design of UC thence the "There is no internal guidance for Decision Makers" comment. (And no provision in the way the UC computer was programmed to allow for this eventuality).

I'd be very interested to here how he gets on. Perhaps he could get a sensible family member to assist him through this process.
    If he meets a DWP brick wall, the OP may want to get his MP involved in this process.

Given the overwhelming financial benefit of voluntary class 3 NI contributions -
    c.£740 buys c.£245 per year of increased index linked SP entitlement; a payback period of 3 years.
    - the OP may just decide to purchase additional (post 2016) years now before the cost increases in April 2019.

If he's struggling with putting dates on forms and is asking "What does it mean by "You can't add an entry to your journal until you've made a claim", then I'm afraid I can't see the OP successfully negotiating this particular UC / legacy benefits minefield.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    I'd been wondering that.
    If no UC is payable (because of excess income / capital, etc) I seem to recall that the claim is eventually closed. I'm not sure it's possible to maintain a UC claim just for NI credits (without any UC payments being made). I suspect the computer is likely to say NO.

The OP may wish to look at this F of I question:
    "Please could you provide the regulations and/or guidance that describe the process for making a "credits only" claim for Universal Credit, when someone in a Full service UC area doesn't meet the NI contributions conditions for new style ESA or JSA, but also has too much income/savings for Universal Credit. "

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/claiming_new_style_esa_or_jsa_wh

If I read the response correctly, the process is that they are directed to claim JSA via a "JSANC1 form to complete and [an] .... interview" by a work coach. Then "The Work Coach will assess their entitlement to an NI credit, based upon the evidence in the form, inform them of what they need to do or keep on doing, and set them a fortnightly day of attendance."

How this works in practice is anyone's guess.
    I would be surprised if a UC call-handler or a JC work coach would have the faintest clue of this procedure.
    I suspect it was overlooked in the glorious design of UC thence the "There is no internal guidance for Decision Makers" comment. (And no provision in the way the UC computer was programmed to allow for this eventuality).

I'd be very interested to here how he gets on. Perhaps he could get a sensible family member to assist him through this process.
    If he meets a DWP brick wall, the OP may want to get his MP involved in this process.

Given the overwhelming financial benefit of voluntary class 3 NI contributions -
    c.£740 buys c.£245 per year of increased index linked SP entitlement; a payback period of 3 years.
    - the OP may just decide to purchase additional (post 2016) years now before the cost increases in April 2019.

If he's struggling with putting dates on forms and is asking "What does it mean by "You can't add an entry to your journal until you've made a claim", then I'm afraid I can't see the OP successfully negotiating this particular UC / legacy benefits minefield.

8 years at £740 per year would eat up too much of my savings - even if I am to benefit in the long term - so I will fight to the end to get DWP to pay for me !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure