Lifetime ISA

Options
Hoping someone can help me, me and my partner are saving for a deposit for our first home together and are wanting to change to a LISA (currently have a HELP TO BUY ISA) can you only apply for a LISA online or do most banks offer them (currently with Halifax) also if we transfer what is in our help to buy isa to a new LISA does this effect how much we have already paid into our help to buy isa for the tax year? So we have £4,000 in our current one can this be transferred straight over to the LISA without effecting this I’m confused and don’t want to try and contribute too much into a new ISA in one year HELP!

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jordan_c wrote: »
    do most banks offer them
    There are only three institutions offering cash LISAs, namely Skipton, Newcastle and Nottingham Building Societies. There are stocks and shares products too but these are generally less suitable for those aiming to buy their first property in the next few years.
    Jordan_c wrote: »
    if we transfer what is in our help to buy isa to a new LISA does this effect how much we have already paid into our help to buy isa for the tax year? So we have £4,000 in our current one can this be transferred straight over to the LISA without effecting this I’m confused and don’t want to try and contribute too much into a new ISA in one year HELP!
    The maximum payable into a LISA is £4K per tax year, even if that's transferred from a non-LISA ISA (such as a HTB ISA), but in total you can pay up to £20K into ISAs in any tax year. However, if there are two of you then you can each have a LISA (the 'I' stands for Individual, they're not joint accounts as such) and pay £4K per tax year into each one.

All this and plenty more info at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-isas/.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure