Ryanair not honouring price after "Hold Fare"

Options
On Tuesday I used Ryanair's "Hold Fare" feature on their website to hold the price of a trip for 24 hours by paying £5.

The next day I logged in to their website and could not find any sign of this held fare. The trip was even missing from the "Saved Trips" section where I had saved it to the day before. The cost of the flights had now gone up by about £35.

Then out of the blue I receive an e-mail from Ryanair saying "I acknowledge receipt of your recent refund request.", and that I would shortly be getting a refund of £5. I did not make any such request.

I contacted Ryanair about this, they said the payment had been declined, but when I called my bank, NatWes said the payment had been approved, provided an authorization code and said the problem must be at Ryanair's side.

So I went back to Ryanair and despite admitting that this was a problem on their side, they say they are unable to honour the original price, or even give me extra legroom seats for free to make up for it.

One could easily think that this is foul play and that Ryanair are cancelling "Hold Fare" requests when they know the prices will go up. Or it could be a simple error on Ryanair's side.

But either way, I am now going to have to pay over £35 more than I would have, had Ryanair not caused this issue.

Any suggestions on whether there is anything else I can do here?

Comments

• leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Well it's obviously not common or the travel press would be all over it, as would TripAdvisor, (where the Ryanair conspiracy theorists usually wax lyrical on).
  • Warren_Peece
    Options
    Hi Wow.
    I had a similar problem recently.....
    On the 9th Jan I searched for a flight and successfully 'held the fare' by paying a fee of £9.44. The following day, I allowed this to lapse as I had not been able to confirm with the other passenger
    The problem arose on 10th January, when I attempted to 'hold the fares' by paying again, to hold the fees on two searches. I had trouble making the payments and was advised by Ryanair Chat line to attempt trying in 'incognito' mode. When I did this, instead of 'holding the fares', the flights were actually booked. In addition, a fee of £4.71 was subsequently taken from my bank account, along with the costs of the bookings....
    I have had a 'form response ' from Ryanair, which completely missed the point, so I have re-iterated my complaint an am 'waiting out': with little hope of a refund.

I wonder how unique our problem is?
    Regards
    Warren
  • purplelemon
    Options
    Hi Wow.
    I had a similar problem recently.....
    On the 9th Jan I searched for a flight and successfully 'held the fare' by paying a fee of £9.44. The following day, I allowed this to lapse as I had not been able to confirm with the other passenger
    The problem arose on 10th January, when I attempted to 'hold the fares' by paying again, to hold the fees on two searches. I had trouble making the payments and was advised by Ryanair Chat line to attempt trying in 'incognito' mode. When I did this, instead of 'holding the fares', the flights were actually booked. In addition, a fee of £4.71 was subsequently taken from my bank account, along with the costs of the bookings....
    I have had a 'form response ' from Ryanair, which completely missed the point, so I have re-iterated my complaint an am 'waiting out': with little hope of a refund.

I wonder how unique our problem is?
    Regards
    Warren

Ouch! So when you clicked the button to hold the fare, it placed the booking??

Sounds like your attempts to pay the hold fee were a little different to mine, as for me it said the payment was successful, but the next day was told it wasn't.

I never got anywhere with Ryanair, and ended up having to book the flights at the higher cost.

Hope you get your refund.
  • Milburac33
    Options
    RyanAir have just done the same thing to me

When I went to pay for an £11.76 'Hold fare', they charged me the full price of the flights, and looks like they have booked them, but sent me an email confirmation for 'Hold Fare' at the full price of the flights

Did you get your money back ?
  • purplelemon
    Options
    Milburac33 wrote: »

When I went to pay for an £11.76 'Hold fare', they charged me the full price of the flights, and looks like they have booked them, but sent me an email confirmation for 'Hold Fare' at the full price of the flights

Sounds different to mine, they didn't charge me for the flights, only said the hold fee didn't go through.

If the confirmation e-mail you got says it was just for holding the price, hopefully, you'll be able to request your money back.
  • Mightyduck
    Options
    Milburac33 wrote: »

Hi Milburac - did you ever get your money back? They exact same thing just happened to me. I tried to pay £11.76 to hold a fare, and instead the full amount for the flights PLUS the £11.76 has come out of my account. I have tried to open a dialog with Ryanair and they've said it is "because you booked the flights" which I did not.
  • ciao.sara
    Options
    the exact same thing JUST happened to me.

I wanted to hold the fare of a ticker for €11 - and I am 100% sure that I clicked on "€11 check out" - but after I checked out I got a text from my bank saying that I paid €330.

There is clearly a problem with their website, as mine is not an isolated case. I cannot believe that authorities have not taken action on this yet.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you spoken to RA customer services - assuming they exist?

Do you have screen shots? My guess is RA will say user error & Tango Sierra

All I would say to anyone who wants to book with RA is to screen shot every part of the process
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure