PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Thanks caron - the thought has crossed my mind to try that recipe. I do occasionally read that blog and have tried a few of her recipes (though I tend to feel the need to add a bit extra food to some of them though - as I've got a standard size appetite and it feels like she has a small one).

Apji - I get what you mean by thinking about that girl. I admire people that can cope with blindness or near blindness - as I'm no "weakling" but it's not something I could cope with myself - so they're stronger than me that they can. A couple of hours of slight eye problems the other day had me thinking "If ever I get cataracts even - I'll have the operations within days of being 'ready' to", as I'm watching a friend of mine now (in this remote area and living more remotely than me) having problems with that and her life restricted whilst she is waiting for the NHS to deal with them. Which has reminded me - she's the one I'm having lunch with tomorrow - and I've never really found out how "into" music she is (as I feel music helps a lot - a fact I often forget). Might help her cope a bit better while she's waiting (and I'm trying to persuade her to pay and get it sorted LOL).

Personally - I dont like Christmas/New Year or the month of August and that's even more the case in such a quiet/family-centred area as this is (very different to my busy/focused on singles Home City I moved from). So - I've always used end of year as a time to plan/catch up a bit indoors etc. So I tend to think it's best to try and think as positively as possible about end of year time and try and use the time for that purpose.

It does sound to me like you are making some very positive moves all round re getting to know new people. Imo there is a "hit rate" of 50% success rate at trying out new groups/individual people - some you win and some you lose. But I think a 50% hit rate is reasonable imo. Two new groups coming up for me next week on top of the groups I'm already involved with - so if only one of them is a "hit" = its worth it imo.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=MrAPJI;

Whenever I feel down in the dumps I think of one particular young lady that I had the good fortune to meet. Our paths crossed in an airport in Canada and since that day I've taken 'nothing' for granted. Let me introduce you to 'Molly' who as well as being a motivational speaker, also has a youtube channel :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSOCxsy4bc[/QUOTE]

What a brave and inspirational young lady. I'm not surprised she has so many followers :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks caron - the thought has crossed my mind to try that recipe. I do occasionally read that blog and have tried a few of her recipes (though I tend to feel the need to add a bit extra food to some of them though - as I've got a standard size appetite and it feels like she has a small one).
    Yes - I tend to get less portions than specified too!
    However, can't report back as I've not made it into the kitchen yet, so it's been put back until tomorrow!
    Best laid schemes of mice and men etc. as I been on the phone/online with elder son sorting out his application as he hit a "wall" with the last example he needed and had got himself into a bit of a paddy. Still all sorted now - good his "old Maw" still has her uses:rotfl::rotfl:.
    Think dinner will be egg, beans and toast with maybe a few mushrooms chucked in.:)

Re inspirational speakers, I was very moved hearing this guy speak a few years ago at an event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Andrew a real fighter against the odds.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Irenadler wrote: »
    Not as bitter cold today as the week-end, picture me and dog doing our Bambi on ice impressions Saturday and Sunday mornings... :) I thought 'Blimey! If the dog is struggling, I've got no chance of avoiding eating pavement!'

yes there were a couple of dogs having the same problem in the park where I walk, one leggy spaniel puppy in particular had to be lifted out of the frozen pond, his back legs couldn't get purchase to jump the 18inch wall :rotfl:

I also noticed ice floating down the river :eek: I did hear a forecaster on the telly say that we haven't had such low temps for 5 years - how easily we get out of the habit of dealing with this.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Crumpets with raspberry jam and tea for breakfast.

I'm having an avocado and tomato salad for lunch with the last of my pistachios and a WM roll.

Yoghurt and fruit about 11.

It's still dark outside and it's nearly 8!
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The pasta sauce got divided ,3/4 into pots in the slow cooker with extra chilli, onions peppers and mushrooms. Tea tonight.with cheese!
    The other 1/4 went in the pasta , it did have veg in but added same extras, made a bit of garlic bread, and dumped a ton of extra mature cheese on top and it was yum!!!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been going to bed later, getting very engrossed with my sock or fairisle hat making, my eyes don`t close to nod off in my chair when my brain is busy like that. So I wake later in the morning and get going later, quite nice too, I have no need to leg it to the allotment to get a whole stack of work done before it gets too hot. Its the hibernating season and I go with the flow

Cold soaked oats with a few prunes, followed by home cooked ham and some emmental. Nothing now until lunch and I think that is going to be a slice of leek quiche, warmed from frozen. Last meal, heated turkey casserole in a bowl

In betweeners, fruit plate, dark chocolate, berry crumbleand soya cream and I won`t be hungry for anything else
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Yes - I tend to get less portions than specified too!
    However, can't report back as I've not made it into the kitchen yet, so it's been put back until tomorrow!
    Best laid schemes of mice and men etc. as I been on the phone/online with elder son sorting out his application as he hit a "wall" with the last example he needed and had got himself into a bit of a paddy. Still all sorted now - good his "old Maw" still has her uses:rotfl::rotfl:.
    Think dinner will be egg, beans and toast with maybe a few mushrooms chucked in.:)

Re inspirational speakers, I was very moved hearing this guy speak a few years ago at an event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Andrew a real fighter against the odds.

As soon as I saw 'less portions than specified,' I knew you meant Jack Monroe, even without checking back. I think Jack does have a small appetite, judging by her size and figure. I'm sure some of her 'for two' recipes, were for her and a small child, No way does 150g of pasta feed two people.

I'd not been able to eat due to tummy trouble, but seem to have recovered.
    Yesterday I went shopping and demolished a three pack of Welsh Pantry ham and cheese pasties, outside Heron Foods, outside Aldi and inside Aldi. I was so hungry that I didn't care. Normally I would never do this. Normally I would never buy pasties, either. Needs must!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2018 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Jack Monroe has a normal figure. She's not skinny and I know I take into account her figure and think "She must be using right size quantities then - because she has right size figure". (Yep...I'm the one that literally takes a quick look at the person presenting YouTube cookery videos before I decide whether to make them). So I switch straight on to another one if it's either a young girl acting daffy and dancing round the room literally and giggling OR if they're plump. Either way - I think "Next please" and switch through and start listening if I can see they're slim and "serious". I wouldnt even look through the "Two Fat Ladies" cookbook - as I obviously don't want to eat the way they do LOL.

But I think she probably is scaling-up the quantities she uses for herself and her child - rather than it being 2 adult size appetites.

EDIT; Quick check later and I use 113 grams of pasta for myself when cooking - as I measure in ounces and it's 4 ounces. So yep....150 grams would be one adult and a rather young child. Further edit: quick check for a spaghetti bolognese recipe as an example and first one that came up uses 350 grams of spaghetti for 4 people (though again one comes to the "If it's 4 people - then maybe 1 or 2 of them are children" thing).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning,
    Yes I tend to work on the premise that if a Jack Monroe recipe serves 2 that it will do me once as a main meal and once for a lunch portion.
    Still bitterly cold and frosty here though it was very dark and overcast earlier it has brightened a bit now thankfully.
    I'll suss what the pavements are like and if not too icey might venture out for a bit, if they are like glass I'll contemplate some housework;).
    I think today will be another no breakfast day, I'm not feeling hungry at the moment so will probably go for an early lunch option which will feature LO baked beans and something:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure