Penalty Charge for mistake on Dental claim form

Options

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    woeestme wrote: »
    Wow, gatekeepers for the system out in force here.

I could give a long answer explaining the illegality of the "banking and legal system" based on natural and common law but the post would just get deleted.

Liverpool University did a study the last time the Govt squeezed the poor on ESA: one person in a coma was found fit to work, and 150 people committed suicide directly as a result of the Govt actions. The question is can the Govt be sued for malpractice given the results of the study?:rotfl:

Doubtless you gatekeepers will come out in force again claiming everyone on ESA is lazy etc.

Oh yes, I forgot, I'm now a customer and no longer a citizen in Corporation Britain.

All of which is irrelevant to your failure to pay a prescription charge!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

I could give a long answer explaining the illegality of the "banking and legal system" based on natural and common law but the post would just get deleted.

Liverpool University did a study the last time the Govt squeezed the poor on ESA: one person in a coma was found fit to work, and 150 people committed suicide directly as a result of the Govt actions. The question is can the Govt be sued for malpractice given the results of the study?:rotfl:

Doubtless you gatekeepers will come out in force again claiming everyone on ESA is lazy etc.

Oh yes, I forgot, I'm now a customer and no longer a citizen in Corporation Britain.

It's a shame you didn't put this amount of research and effort into finding out whether or not you were entitled to a free prescription...
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, I'm currently on ESA. I recently went to the dentist and thought I was eligible for subsidised treatment. I wasn't sure which ESA I was on and mistakenly put 'income based' on the form whereas I'm actually on 'contribution based ESA', which doesn't entitle me to NHS treatment.

Anyway, in addition to the dental costs which I told them I would pay, the NHS Business Services Authority have given me a penalty charge of £100, which I'm not allowed to contest legally. If I don't pay it, it'll be left to a debt collection agency to chase me for the money.

According to the NHS Business Services Authority, because I signed the declaration at the dentist, I'm not entitled to contest.

On the letter it states this is a 'civil penalty' and that ignorance on the issue is not a defence.

I'm guessing this is some sort of Tory/New Labour policy to extort money from those in the lowest level in society.

I'm trying to understand what legal authority they have to impose this penalty on me? Somebody in the NHS Business Services Authority has decided this is a useful way of collecting money off people.

Anyway, do I have any recourse here?

Well this will eventually go to court where you can contest it. But you wont win.

you claimed free treatment when you weren't entitled to it.
  • woeestme
    woeestme Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All of which is irrelevant to your failure to pay a prescription charge!

So the evidence I've presented in no way relates to this cynical penalty charge, which exploits the fact that many people will be confused by the terminology of contribution or income based ESA.

Your statement completely ignores the inconvenient truths...a bit like the gaslighting MSM.
  • Guest101
    Options

FMOTL - what a load of rubbish.
  • woeestme
    woeestme Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The bottom line is that the NHS Business Services Authority does not have a legal right to impose this penalty charge based on their manipulation of the legal person.

And where does the penalty charge money go? Back into improving the NHS? Or a private company?

Why am I paying a penalty charge to a private company which has no interest in sustaining the NHS?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    So the evidence I've presented in no way relates to this cynical penalty charge, which exploits the fact that many people will be confused by the terminology of contribution or income based ESA.

Your statement completely ignores the inconvenient truths...a bit like the gaslighting MSM.

What is confusing about the terminology? They are very clear to me and the thousands of others who collect their prescriptions without a problem.

The penalty does not "exploit" those on benefits, it punishes those that choose to avoid paying. Given how stretched the NHS is, this can only be a good thing.

The money goes back into the NHS. No private company is involved in the process, assuming people pay up when they should.
  • Guest101
    Options
    The bottom line is that the NHS Business Services Authority does not have a legal right to impose this penalty charge based on their manipulation of the legal person.

And where does the penalty charge money go? Back into improving the NHS? Or a private company?

Why am I paying a penalty charge to a private company which has no interest in sustaining the NHS?
    NHS BSA are not a private company. Yes they do have the power to impose this, if you fail to pay you'll be taken to court.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Well don't pay it then.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    (Contribution-based does NOT count)

This is what you ticked, you did not mistakenly put Income based you ticked the box above.

I too received a fine in the post after a visit to the Dentist. Difference with our stories is I told the Receptionist I was on Contribution based and not eligible for free treatment but she informed me I was.

I contacted the NHS and explained what had happened and they deducted the fine leaving only the dental charges to pay, ones I was more than happy to pay on my visit to Dentist.

Might add that I informed my Dentist what had happened when I received a fine and they said that if the fine was still payable once I had explained to the NHS then they would pay it as they were unaware of the rules at the time (this was quite awhile ago) needless to say training was given to staff members to ensure this did not happen again.

This is not the case with you, you ticked the box you pay the price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure