WARNING! CarTrawler / Argus Car Hire - PepeCar AVOID!

Options

Comments

• PGoldy
    PGoldy Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I hired a car over a month ago with CarTrawler and when I turned up at the site to pick it up, no car was available. The company were not helpful or apologetic for their error. I have waited for other a month for a full refund even though they case was clear cut from the beginning. Dealing with customer service at Cartrawler has been equally unhelpful and annoying. They do not respond to your emails or calls. I have requested to speak to a manager at many stages only to be met with numerous excuses and failed promises. I would strongly advise against using this company in future based on my experience.
  • Friendlyadvicejoe
    Options
    DO NOT USE. We got scammed into paying A LOT more!
  • mbaird
    mbaird Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 July 2016 at 2:02PM
    Options
    How ever can this company still be in business. We hired a car to collect at Faro airport, we purchased insurance before we left the uk through Argus. When we arrived at goldcar desk which is where the car hire was. We were told very clearly that the insurance was no good and they don't pay out, adding they had hundreds of complaints about the insurance company. We were told we could leave 1100 euros on our credit card, but if we had any damage etc the insurance wouldn't pay, so we should purchase their insurance 151euros, I refused, they were quite aggressive with us and said if we didn't put deposit on our card OR buy their insurance, we couldnt have a car. We had no choice then to buy there insurance. I tried to ring Argus to no avail. Ive so far sent over 30 emails, and they just fob me off. Disgracel don't go near Argus and goldcar car rental they are complete robbers
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 July 2016 at 2:46PM
    Options
    mbaird wrote: »
    they were quite aggressive with us and said if we didn't put deposit on our card OR buy their insurance, we couldnt have a car.
    This is normal and they were correct. Your separate policy to cover the excess is nothing to do with the hire firm and will pay the hirer, not them, in the event of a claim. So they need to have the deposit from your card if you decline their own cover. It's not true that you had no choice.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 July 2016 at 10:08AM
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    This is normal and they were correct. Your separate policy to cover the excess is nothing to do with the hire firm and will pay the hirer, not them, in the event of a claim. So they need to have the deposit from your card if you decline their own cover. It's not true that you had no choice.

Yes correct. If you don't take their cover you WILL have to leave a deposit. After all, if you stroll up and say no thanks to insurance they have no idea what you've got sorted - you could be lying. They've got to cover themselves in case you do have an accident.

But they can get a bit funny if you say no. They seem to rely a LOT on commission for this sort of thing so can get really pushy.

Got to just say no, ignore them, say no however many times it takes etc. Not uncommon for them to try this tactic of saying your insurance is no good. I had a guy in orlando telling me I was an effing stupid brit who though he knew it all and I'd be sorry if I had an accident because my insurance didnt count. Of course I knew it did so ignored him. He was well upset though.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • NeverAgainArgus
    Options
    Stay away from Argus or any affiliate. I wish I found this forum before renting through them. It would have saved me the frustration of dealing with them and saved my money. Hopefully I can save you and continue my campaign to drive them out of business.

I booked them online and when I showed up at the rental agency I was asked for ID. My passport had just been stolen so I presently my US gov issued ID and a birth certificate and a visa and a copy of my passport photo. I was declined!!! I needed a car and went to the next company over and was given one. I asked three other companies if my ID was enough and they all said yes.

The problem is that Argus/Car trawler/car hire would not refund my reservation fee!! I had to rent another car and they rudely declined to refund me!!

I am posting this story everything month across every review site I can find until they either offer a refund or shut their doors. Please help by not using them and spreading the word. This kind of customer server is unspeakable today and we have other options.
  • People be careful of this company.....

Its a rip off. I tried to make a booking and their system wouldn't accept it. Then I had a second attempt and again it failed. Then on the next day all of a sudden it accepted my second one!!!! The booking was for a car for July 31 until Aug 7th. When the +ve reply came in i did not check the dates on it and why would I if up untill then their bookings were correct. When i got to Athens the lady at the desk couldn't find my reservation (ofcourse) and she found a reservation of mine from the 9th till the 12 of August!!!!!dates i wouldn't even be in Greece. But the odd thing was that the price i payed for 7 days was reflecting for only those 3 days. When i pointed this out to the desk people they couldn't do anything about it so i had to make a new booking with an extra cost of €157. I wrote a letter to argus car hire and they answered that everything was in order and that i should be at the airport on time on the 9th to pick my car!!!!!They didn't even bother to read what i was saying. After that treatment i was veeeery annoyed and i wrote to them again and again even on their facebook page. They kept on saying that it was me who did a wrong booking. I can understand if one would make a mistake once but 4 times is practically impossible. When i mentioned a lawsuit they immediately replied saying that everything was in order on their behalf but they would return my €30 front pay. When i told them that i need the whole extra amount they said no because the price i paid was correct for 3 days (even the most expensive company wouldn't charge that much) the man from agus car hire even made a booking to prove to me that the price was right and although he booked it for the next day, in order to be expensive, he couldn't really reach the price I paid but still they had the nerve to sent it to me (a screenshot) I immediately send them a propper booking with the correct 7 dates were THE PRICE WAS MATCHING what I paid......they never replied. Then i decited to take the to court and i asked for an address and an addressie. The address they send me but an addressie they never did, the reason being that probably somebody acted on his/her own and they couldn't pach it up to management. Now me and my lawyer are working on sewing the company and we are gathering all the facts. We also asked from other people who had similar experiences to contact us with facts amounts dates etc and -not surprisingly- they are a lot. (Who ever is interested please contact me)Having said that I have to tell you that they had a lady on facebook, named Sarah with no surname whom she tried to answer my questions and when I asked her questions back too.....she couldn't handle it and she referred to copy paste answers.
    Please contact me in order to be included / new law suit with all the details, dates location etc.
    What a company!
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "Quote" Now me and my lawyer are working on sewing the company
    Sounds to me like you have been "stitched up"
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • People be careful of this company.....

Its a rip off. I tried to make a booking and their system wouldn't accept it. Then I had a second attempt and again it failed. Then on the next day all of a sudden it accepted my second one!!!! The booking was for a car for July 31 until Aug 7th. When the +ve reply came in i did not check the dates on it and why would I if up untill then their bookings were correct. When i got to Athens the lady at the desk couldn't find my reservation (ofcourse) and she found a reservation of mine from the 9th till the 12 of August!!!!!dates i wouldn't even be in Greece. But the odd thing was that the price i payed for 7 days was reflecting for only those 3 days. When i pointed this out to the desk people they couldn't do anything about it so i had to make a new booking with an extra cost of €157. I wrote a letter to argus car hire and they answered that everything was in order and that i should be at the airport on time on the 9th to pick my car!!!!!They didn't even bother to read what i was saying. After that treatment i was veeeery annoyed and i wrote to them again and again even on their facebook page. They kept on saying that it was me who did a wrong booking. I can understand if one would make a mistake once but 4 times is practically impossible. When i mentioned a lawsuit they immediately replied saying that everything was in order on their behalf but they would return my €30 front pay. When i told them that i need the whole extra amount they said no because the price i paid was correct for 3 days (even the most expensive company wouldn't charge that much) the man from agus car hire even made a booking to prove to me that the price was right and although he booked it for the next day, in order to be expensive, he couldn't really reach the price I paid but still they had the nerve to sent it to me (a screenshot) I immediately send them a propper booking with the correct 7 dates were THE PRICE WAS MATCHING what I paid......they never replied. Then i decited to take the to court and i asked for an address and an addressie. The address they send me but an addressie they never did, the reason being that probably somebody acted on his/her own and they couldn't pach it up to management. Now me and my lawyer are working on sewing the company and we are gathering all the facts. We also asked from other people who had similar experiences to contact us with facts amounts dates etc and -not surprisingly- they are a lot. (Who ever is interested please contact me)Having said that I have to tell you that they had a lady on facebook, named Sarah with no surname whom she tried to answer my questions and when I asked her questions back too.....she couldn't handle it and she referred to copy paste answers.
    Please contact me in order to be included / new law suit with all the details, dates location etc.
    What a company!
  • KaiserBill
    Options
    I have recently returned from a couple of weeks in Portugal

I rented a car from Lisbon Airport through Argus Car Hire. It was actually provided at Lisbon by Budget. When I handed the guy at the Budget desk my voucher from Argus showing what I paid he said wow, you got a very good deal here. And I had. Had I booked direct with Budget it would have cost me a great deal more.

Did I have any problems - no. Did I have any trouble - no.

The whole thing was very smooth and easy, I would be very happy to use Argus again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback