Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    editor1 wrote: »
    Geoff,

You were within the 14 day Cooling off period, so you can Null & Void any contract you have with OFTM and change supplier - they have already deducted a DD payment from you which should cover all associated costs of your small stay with them.

Here's a link to help you with this issue: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/nireland/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-switching-energy-suppliers/you-ve-changed-your-mind-about-switching-gas-or-electricity-suppliers/

The 14 day cooling off period starts from when a supplier accepts an application to switch - not when the supply starts. I read the 20th Nov as being the start of supply - I may be wrong.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hengus,

You are absolutely correct, and actually though the OP had Switched very recently, not actually resumed full service from OFTM, which takes about 20-30 days. However, the CA advice is correct, and i think there are major concerns about a lack of T&Cs OFTM dispatches with their Welcome Packs - indeed, both OVO Energy and First Utility had clear and precise T&C's contained within their Welcome Packs upon joining - OFTM seems to just have them posted online and keep changing them, which ain't good I'm afraid.
  • star_trek_fan
    Options
    Like everyone else, I've had enough of this firm and the price hikes. I accept the increase in wholesale prices but being on a fixed income, the 80% hike in my winter payment has impacted my budget badly. The Jan increase is the last straw. Only been with them since July and despite giving them monthly meter readings, I have yet to receive a bill, so no idea if I'm in credit or not. Run the CEC comparison and the GNE 2 year fix works best for me - I have done the calculations also on a spreadsheet using foxy's Jan 19 figures so know GNE works out cheaper. So I'm off. Wouldn't be surprised if foxy went out of business before Xmas.
    #77 Make 2019 in 2019 £164.04 / £2019
    Weight loss challenge#11 5 lb
  • domjon1
    domjon1 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If Switch date is a few days after they hike their DD I'd check what credit you have and if above £50 quid cancel any further payments, that is instruct your bank to cancel the DD now and then worry about any fallout - they have enough on their plate and don't seem too managerial savvy presently.

However, please remember funds are in danger during the timelines between changing a supplier if the business hits the wall, which could be anytime soon given two energy price increases in the space of a week, regardless of the DD debacle.

cheers, yeah I've cancelled the DD. I'm £100+ in credit and final bill will be just under £100 so should be ok. Sod em
  • System
    Options
    Hengus,

You are absolutely correct, and actually though the OP had Switched very recently, not actually resumed full service from OFTM, which takes about 20-30 days. However, the CA advice is correct, and i think there are major concerns about a lack of T&Cs OFTM dispatches with their Welcome Packs - indeed, both OVO Energy and First Utility had clear and precise T&C's contained within their Welcome Packs upon joining - OFTM seems to just have them posted online and keep changing them, which ain't good I'm afraid.

I am not sure what you mean by ‘full service’. Transfers of supply go through in anything from 17 to 35 days from application to switch (this includes the 14 day cooling off period). Setting up an online account can take anything up to three weeks more as the gaining supplier has to wait for validated meter readings from industry. From the day that the transfer went through, the supplier was providing a service and payment is due for that service. Trying to use the ‘cooling off’ clause to null and void a contract for the reasons stated (without proper legal advice) is not going to worry the supplier - but that is just my lay opinion.
  • bs7
    bs7 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, just had a shock when I run the Energy Club figures again. Had not realised if's a £50 exit fee charge for both gas and electricity, so can only emphasise again to those on OFTM's Fixed deals to stay the course until they hit the wall, with, or without all the crap associated with their increases to DD payments from December of this year financially we'll be far worse off if leave due to their crass management skills.

I'm not sure why you are obsessed with providing this advice again and again. You seem weirdly keen for people to stay on the same 'fixed' package as your parents!!!

For people that don't want to run the gamble of who they end up with when OutFox cease trading (a matter of time now it seems - there's no way they'd be doing this increase straight away after all the bad press unless they really had no choice, and having no choice suggests their finances aren't great at all, and the more people that leave the more that the price will keep having to go up as non-fixed rate customers subsidise the fixed rate ones) and don't want to have to wait weeks and weeks of any credit being returned, and don't want to pay a Direct Debit payment 40% higher over the next few months then there's an argument that OTFM's supposed changes to the contract have not been properly implemented and are not binding: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5929770
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like everyone else, I've had enough of this firm and the price hikes. I accept the increase in wholesale prices but being on a fixed income, the 80% hike in my winter payment has impacted my budget badly. The Jan increase is the last straw. Only been with them since July and despite giving them monthly meter readings, I have yet to receive a bill, so no idea if I'm in credit or not. Run the CEC comparison and the GNE 2 year fix works best for me - I have done the calculations also on a spreadsheet using foxy's Jan 19 figures so know GNE works out cheaper. So I'm off. Wouldn't be surprised if foxy went out of business before Xmas.

I had the same issue and after 94 days contacted them, they were pretty quick in doing the bills and readings, although screwed up, partly my fault I was sending in total readings, as I had been on BG free time I should have been sending in the Act 1 reading from the meter not the total on the IHD, which was where I was getting my readings from. The IHD went in the bin about 3 months ago after it wouldn't connect for about 2 weeks.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • Lijong
    Lijong Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I need some advice...

I am currently £672 in credit with OTM. I intentionally wanted to be in credit because A. I didn't want winter price hikes and B. I am seriously ill and didn't want to leave my wife in debt and thought by being in a lot of credit this would help her out after I go.

Given their recent price increases I requested they give me my credit back. This was on the 20th and they have ignored all my emails. will not speak to me about it on chat and despite a further 3 emails to them they keep ignoring me.

My ? is, if they go bust will I get my credit back? If I switch now will this force them into repaying me?

Thanks Li
  • System
    Options
    Lijong wrote: »
    I need some advice...

I am currently £672 in credit with OTM. I intentionally wanted to be in credit because A. I didn't want winter price hikes and B. I am seriously ill and didn't want to leave my wife in debt and thought by being in a lot of credit this would help her out after I go.

Given their recent price increases I requested they give me my credit back. This was on the 20th and they have ignored all my emails. will not speak to me about it on chat and despite a further 3 emails to them they keep ignoring me.

My ? is, if they go bust will I get my credit back? If I switch now will this force them into repaying me?

Thanks Li

In the event of a supplier becoming insolvent, your credit balance is 100% protected by the Ofgem Safety Net. If you are on fixed price tariff, your prices will not change.
  • Lijong
    Lijong Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I am on Zapp November. I did ask OTM and they were not even too sure what deal I was on (I kid you not) 3 times they got it wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure