PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Options

Comments

• happyandcontented
    Options
    No they are not cheap. I could only afford to have one.
    I actually paid for my own pension. My contributions from my salary were quite substantial. I've also paid for my state pension if I actually ever get it as they keep moving the age further away.

My Champagne moment today was taking the dog out for a long walk in the beautiful countryside. I'm going to make an inidan Fakeaway for my tea. Will taste better and will save pennies towards my cruise!

Many of us have, but the workforce of today are keeping the economy going which obviously has an impact on our pensions as global markets affect our invested pension provision.

Additionally,their productivity and contribution to the coffers also affects the longevity, or otherwise, of the state pension.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning......

Well not exactly a champagne moment as such but I'm having huge fun having a major bedroom sort out. I do love a good clear out and tidy up. :rotfl:

I have decided not to dispose of any clothing or linens but rather to decant what I won't be using over the winter into a couple of suitcases and just put them in the loft bedroom for now. I will revisit them in the spring. I am aiming to empty a Chest of drawers and get rid of it. It will make my bedroom appear a lot more airy and spacious.

Graciefields. I often do "fakeaways" too. Cheaper and healthier than the real thing but just as tasty. I have a hearty casserole simmering away in the slow cooker......no potatoes or dumplings Though :rotfl: it's back to strict paleo now.....

I haven't weighed myself but I just know I gained a few lbs on my holiday. ;)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Got my plumbers final bill today. The good news is it's £550 less than my revised budget. The bad news is it's waaay over my original budget, :rotfl: still it's worth it.

The really bad news is my cooker is definitely not up to much......just another example of the kind of tat Miss Haversham left behind. :rotfl: It means that I will probably have to replace it sooner rather than later so I'm thinking I may as well crack on with the kitchen refit next year instead of 2020 as planned. I'll think about it in the New Year.

I am thinking I might cancel next years Iceland trip or at least postpone it for another time. My cruise last week was an unexpected bonus holiday so I don't mind not bothering next year. I would rather concentrate on licking the house into shape first.

Right back to the sorting.

Have a great day.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Gracie - I've also paid for all my own pension. Always had full-time job (apart from periods of unemployment). So that was 18-60th birthday. I guess I'm remembering my fathers words there too - as in "Do a full 40 years worth - and you've done your bit/paid your way" and he started getting very antsy once he'd done his "40 years worth and paid his way":rotfl:

I know we're told "the generation after you is paying for yours" and I just think "Words...words...you could just use a different set of words and take my pension from some other fund - ostensibly. Makes no difference which bit of the Government coffers it comes from...".

I'll "blame my father" for that one - he brought me up to pay my own way directly regardless and I've always done so all round....oh well...
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Gracie - I've also paid for all my own pension. Always had full-time job (apart from periods of unemployment). So that was 18-60th birthday. I guess I'm remembering my fathers words there too - as in "Do a full 40 years worth - and you've done your bit/paid your way" and he started getting very antsy once he'd done his "40 years worth and paid his way":rotfl:

I know we're told "the generation after you is paying for yours" and I just think "Words...words...you could just use a different set of words and take my pension from some other fund - ostensibly. Makes no difference which bit of the Government coffers it comes from...".

I'll "blame my father" for that one - he brought me up to pay my own way directly regardless and I've always done so all round....oh well...

Most people pay their own way but...

The logic behind you thinking that you pay in monies which sit there just waiting for you to claim your dues is unsound.

The monies paid in are invested and therefore, are affected by the economy as it is all your working life and that of others. Ongoing, all pension schemes are affected by the vagaries of the market, the economy and of the productivity of those who come behind you.

What other 'pot' would you have the government use for pensions if GDP fell drastically? NHS, Policing, Security?

You really don't want to seem to give any credit to anyone but yourself. As the saying goes 'no man is an island'. We are all interdependent to a greater or lesser degree.

It seems to irk you that those of us with children feel they are contributing to the economy and are working for the common good meaning: to the benefit of all demographics.

Altruism is a good trait and it comes back to you.
    Options
    I did point out that it's just "words" that we are told about where our own contributions go for our State pensions. The government could just as easily choose to use words that tell us they come from a different source of Government revenue.

Child benefit is a hangover from the days before people had the choice we now do as to whether to have children are no. It is outdated now - but there are strong vested interests in keeping the status quo - as I can see.

Ways of thinking can hang on for decades after it's clear they are due to have gone - as we could see when it came to slave-trading or women not being deemed to be equal. A new way of thinking will happen - person by person and I expect always takes a few decades before the "pendulum swings" and that new way of thinking has become the norm.
  • happyandcontented
    happyandcontented Posts: 2,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 December 2018 at 6:36PM
    Options
    I did point out that it's just "words" that we are told about where our own contributions go for our State pensions. The government could just as easily choose to use words that tell us they come from a different source of Government revenue.

Child benefit is a hangover from the days before people had the choice we now do as to whether to have children are no. It is outdated now - but there are strong vested interests in keeping the status quo - as I can see.

Ways of thinking can hang on for decades after it's clear they are due to have gone - as we could see when it came to slave-trading or women not being deemed to be equal. A new way of thinking will happen - person by person and I expect always takes a few decades before the "pendulum swings" and that new way of thinking has become the norm.

Why should the government do that if it is not true?

Are you really equating the government (and by extrapolation, peer) support of families with those two issues? CHB is means tested now too.

I assume by 'new way' you mean 'your way?'
    Options
    I would be genuinely interested to know what you mean by this.

This is where you started.

This is where I finish. I don't like arguments.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    No they are not cheap. I could only afford to have one.
    I actually paid for my own pension. My contributions from my salary were quite substantial. I've also paid for my state pension if I actually ever get it as they keep moving the age further away.

My Champagne moment today was taking the dog out for a long walk in the beautiful countryside. I'm going to make an inidan Fakeaway for my tea. Will taste better and will save pennies towards my cruise!

That isn't how the state pension works. When you were paying NI and tax it was all spent on pensions and other things. When you get your state pension it will be being paid for my the tax payers/NI payers at that time. The government never had a fund and there is no fund now so unless lots of young people pay there will be no pensions.
  • humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2018 at 8:29PM
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    I had a total hysterectomy n ovaries removed at 37.I went straight into a surgical menopause, n yet Wasn't given HRT until 18 months later .I was literally like a mad woman :( I think this has a lot to do with my anxiety issues now :(

We all react differently don't we. I was lucky, I never had PMT either although my sister suffered terribly with it.

The mad woman bit made me think of PMT as my sister certainly was for a week or more every month.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback