Full and final settlement help thread

Options

Comments

• myamyamoo
    Options
    Thank you for your quick reply. Yes zinc did say it was open until the 25th.
  • David2Prit
    Options
    When speaking with Moorcroft, do not mention that you have the money on hand, but that you were getting it from a third party to help clear this debt, but only at the original amount Zinc offered.

Start a little lower though :)
  • terman
    terman Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Mr &Mrs Terman, and welcome to DMP land:beer:

Just my two penn'orth , for what it's worth, to add to the advice given by fatbelly (below).

1. Accounts don't necessarily get defaulted in a timely manner. They should do but some creditors don't always play ball. One of mine took 2 years, although I subsequently challenged this and got it backdated. 2 others defaulted after 9 months. One never defaulted at all, always marked my file as AP (arrangement to pay) and no amount of arguing persuaded them to default. the AP marker will be on my credit file for 6 years after that debt (my smallest incidentally} was settled in full 2 years ago:mad:. The earliest defaulted one should drop off my credit file next month:j

2. When I sent off my CCA requests it cost £1 for each one which I sent by Postal Order. I have been reliably informed that it is now a FREE service. I'll try to find some reference to the change and post a link.

3. Save your F&F fund wherever you like so long as, as fatbelly advised you, it isn't connected to any financial institution where you have debts. Creditors have the Right of Offset' and could(although I don't know of any case where they have) use your savings against the debt owed to them:eek:. When I started my DMP, one of the few banks I didn't owe anything to:o was Nationwide and I opened a Basic Account with them which was the only type of account I could get with such a rubbish credit history:o. I do all my transactions online and opened a couple of Online Saver accounts with them which make it simplicity itself to sweep money back and forth from one account to another. Make sure when opening accounts for yourself that the financial institution you use isn't connected in any way to your creditors. Lots of banks are part of banking groups and under the same 'umbrella' as several others.

4. With F&F payments, it would be eye-wateringly expensive for you to use Postal Orders once the 'poundage' is added, that's if the creditor would accept them (which I doubt they would) for what would still be a relatively large amount of money:eek:. I have a Basic bank account since opening my DMP and it does not offer a chequebook. When I negotiated my F&Fs recently, for several thousands of pounds in some cases I did the final stage by phone once it was all agreed. I just gave them my debit card number and it was all done and dusted instantly at no extra cost:j. The confirmation letter of their acceptance of your F&F offer should detail the different ways they will accept payment from you, I assume you are paying your monthly DMP payments by Standing Order from your Bank Account (most DMPers advise NOT to set up DDs for this;)) so the creditor will already be aware that you have banking facilities. I can't see a good reason not to do a direct payment from your Bank Account for the F&F, either by a single electronic payment that you'd set up yourself from your bank account, or over the phone using your Debit Card. The only thing you'd need to do is make sure the sum to cover it had been transferred to your Current Account before you do it. I don't think Savings Accounts have facilities for paying someone else other than yourself but I've never tried and really don't know:o

Incidentally, debts still with original creditors don't stand as good a chance of being accepted for F&Fs as those with DCAs who buy them for pennies in the pound. If you haven't been paying on a DMP for all that long the chance is remote anyway. Creditors need to think that you are never going to be able to repay by regular means, either because you have had some life-changing event like redundancy etc which means your available income has dropped massively or, heaven forbid, that you've become seriously ill or divorced or something equally life-shattering. Paying token payments of £1 a month per creditor would possibly hasten the day, although I've been paying £1 to one of my creditors for nearly 2 years and they still won't accept a F&F less than 65% payable:mad:. You need to have a good reason;) as all my creditors wanted to know why I was dropping to £1 and insisted on an updated I&E from me to reflect the changes in my circumstances.

I'm sorry this post is very doom and gloom but I'm speaking from my own recent experiences and thought you should have a warts-and-all account. All creditors have their own idiosyncracies, you may find some of yours do things slightly differently so it's obviously not a definitive version of what definitely will happen in your case.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress. Anything that puzzles or worries you, just ask:beer:
    fatbelly wrote: »
    1. You won't get anywhere till they default - that should take 3-6 months

2. You can do cca requests at any time - may not have much effect with recent high street lenders but all you lose is £1

3Don't do any banking (certainly not a savings pot) in an account in the same banking group as your debts.

4. You can make the final payment any way you like. I suspect postal orders would carry a large fee.

Thank you fatbelly and Carbootcrazy for both directly answering my beginners questions and the time spent on your detailed responses. It certainly helps to know that there are people here to help Mr and Mrs terman though this.

I will get saving for my F&Fs and send of my CCA requests. One of my Cards HS*C will be nearly 30 Years old so let hope they have had a spring clean.

I may be going off thread so apologise but I don't know how to post else where and link in yet.
    I have one of my creditors Am*x who has already sent me a NOTICE OF DEFAULT and that if I don't pay in 14days they may take the following action. I believe this may have come out so quick as they think I am going Insolvent as I was considering this but have changed my mind for now. Am I correct in thinking for me this will actually be a good thing even though it reads very SCARY!!!!:eek:
    1Jan2019 £100,377 - DEBT FREE 7 YEARS 3 MONTHS (ASSUMING 0% INTEREST)
    TARGET :DEBT FREE : (5YR PLAN - 31 DEC 2024)
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    terman wrote: »
    I have one of my creditors Am*x who has already sent me a NOTICE OF DEFAULT and that if I don't pay in 14days they may take the following action. I believe this may have come out so quick as they think I am going Insolvent as I was considering this but have changed my mind for now. Am I correct in thinking for me this will actually be a good thing even though it reads very SCARY!!!!:eek:
    The notice has standard wording.

It's actually a good thing that they are getting on with it. Interest should be frozen and they may sell the debt to a third party at a discount which would give you options later - exactly what you want.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 January 2019 at 6:19PM
    Options
    terman wrote: »
    They are designed to be that way in order for you to make contact with them, subtle references as to what "could" happen, or what "may" happen, all specifically worded to mess with your mind, but all bog standard, computer generated gumpf they have to send you to comply with the consumer credit act.

If you read them with a more open and relaxed mind, they are actually quite funny in what they threaten, "we may report your account to the credit reference agencies" Oow well i ran behind the settee at that one.........
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    Are you thinking of subject access requests?

The £1 fee was set in the Consumer credit Act (I think 1974) and it would take a revision of that act to change it

Both methods of getting information are covered here

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/getting-information/credit-agreement-advice.aspx

Thanks for the clarification, fatbelly:T. You are correct, as always:)

I knew something that charged a fee has now become free:j. Even better that's it the SAR request as £10 was very steep:eek:. On the other hand, the size and weight of the parcel of stuff Lloyds sent me when I requested a SAR must have cost more than £10 in postage, paper and printer ink:rotfl:

Apologies for any confusion, especially to terman who my post was in response to.
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Oh my word...just had a reply from W*s**t. They have declined our 10% offer, but offered us a settlement figure of 85% of the outstanding debt!!! :eek: Don't think so thank you. Debts were recently sold to C*b*t, so I thought better chance of them being accepted now. Not being funny, but if we had that sort of cash lying around, we wouldn't be in this sort of debt in the first place How do they think people are going to come up with 85% of the total owed in a lump sum.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh my word...just had a reply from W*s**t. They have declined our 10% offer, but offered us a settlement figure of 85% of the outstanding debt!!! :eek: Don't think so thank you. Debts were recently sold to C*b*t, so I thought better chance of them being accepted now. Not being funny, but if we had that sort of cash lying around, we wouldn't be in this sort of debt in the first place How do they think people are going to come up with 85% of the total owed in a lump sum.

Shame they turned down your offer but give them time and they'll probably contact you again with an improved offer especially as it's only been sold on relatively recently. It might take several stages before you can agree to meet somewhere that suits you both. It's just the games that creditors like to play:(.

I started off some of my F&F offers, not just to Wescot, at 20% but I knew it was far too low to be accepted:rotfl:. Worth a try though. Wescot eventually settled mine at 30% payable for one and 35% payable for the other. One was still with the original creditor so I was really happy with that. Another creditor has now come down to a discount of 40% (60% payable:eek:) but I'm not biting yet. I'll just sit back and wait:)

Good luck:beer:
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Shame they turned down your offer but give them time and they'll probably contact you again with an improved offer especially as it's only been sold on relatively recently. It might take several stages before you can agree to meet somewhere that suits you both. It's just the games that creditors like to play:(.

I started off some of my F&F offers, not just to Wescot, at 20% but I knew it was far too low to be accepted:rotfl:. Worth a try though. Wescot eventually settled mine at 30% payable for one and 35% payable for the other. One was still with the original creditor so I was really happy with that. Another creditor has now come down to a discount of 40% (60% payable:eek:) but I'm not biting yet. I'll just sit back and wait:)

Good luck:beer:

Thanks CBC. Need to have a think and decide what to do next. We have 6 debts with them, between us and only been paying £1 a month for the last 10 months now, so you would have thought they would have the sense to realise that the offers we have made on these 2 are very good offers, as at £1 per month, they will never get paid.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback