Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Options

Comments

• Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 12:04PM
    Options
    LL well done on making a start. ive decided that my weigh day is a Tuesday , think it might get me through the weekend better knowing its coming up lol . Well as you know its a grey murky day here............BUT ive done another walk , Im so determined. DH always takes the dog early mornings, and alternates between a couple of parks . walkways etc , so everywhere is a beautiful walk .......it would have been SO EASY this morning to stay in bed , but i told myself GET UP. and off i went ............... i aim to do one walk a week for starters, and any extras is a bonus , Got to meal plan for today , Its not hard, i went to slimming world for years so i know what im doing , no excuses, i HAVE to do it for my health , I have health problems ( Artheritis in my joints , a couple of stents etc etc ) but lets face it , when you are in your 60's it goes with the territory that we are going to have a few aches and pains . so some days i might be slower than others , but ANY progress its going in the right direction . and by Summer we are going to be so different . Another area , im going to target is pelvic muscles, i need to strengthen them , just do a few exersizes for that every day , and increase over time , baby steps,,,,,,,, Ive never done Yoga, maybe i should look at that on you tube ...........Decluttering is a bit overwhelming at the moment as so much i want to do ,,,,,,,,so ill aim at areas for now instead of big stuff, When i read on here, about nice spots in houses to sit and relax ,,,,,,,,,,,,,it sounds so tranquil , i have a lovely old house , just need to dig it out .............i just have too much " stuff " . but im getting better and making headway . My son still has all his gym stuff at home , and comes occasionally to have a work out , Dont laugh i cant get on the bike , its too big for me ,and i dont want to adjust it , as its awkward for him to get it where he wants it for him , but we have a treadmill and a rowing machine , they are in the garage , and thats been used as a dumping ground , so again , thats my first area to de clutter, as at the moment , we could only use one piece of equipment at a time due to space , so i need to make "The Gym " more accessible , ill let you all know how i get on , the garage is a workout in itself lol . might take a few days . My friend doesnt have a dog ,,,,,,,,,,,,,so she says she takes her imaginary dog for a walk every day , It gets her out of the house
  • eandjsmum
    Options
    Look at the positives - you resisted the doughnuts so congratulations to you :A So you slipped a bit today but you are still ahead of the game.

Teeth are so important, a couple of friends had a tooth out within a few weeks of each other. They were debating if it was worth the money to have an implant and both decided it wasn't worth it. Neither are particularly short of money and I was so surprised, both a good ten to fifteen years younger than me. I said I'd definitely pay but we all have different priorities I suppose.

Just wanted to add have you tried interdental brushes? I've flossed for many years but 3 or 4 years ago I started using interdental brushes as well and I've had no fillings since and the hygienist reckons it has made a big difference. If you haven't tried them it is worth asking the dentist which size would suit you. The dentists usually sell a brand called Teepee but sainsburys do some that are just as good in my experience and cost less.

I never got on with the teepee brushes so gave them to dd. Cheched weight today and have lost again so probably not much damage done.
    I have just dragged the coffee maker out of back of cupboard as found some quality coffee lurking . It's not bad. Pity I must have given the caffitierre away.
  • humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 12:50PM
    Options
    eandjsmum wrote: »
    I never got on with the teepee brushes so gave them to dd. Cheched weight today and have lost again so probably not much damage done.
    I have just dragged the coffee maker out of back of cupboard as found some quality coffee lurking . It's not bad. Pity I must have given the caffitierre away.

Glad you got good news from the scales. We all need a treat now and then.

Shame about the teepee brushes, my husband doesn't get on with them either. I think his teeth are more crowded than mine, well they are more crowded than mine which makes them harder for him to use.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 January 2019 at 1:13PM
    Options
    Brunch at 11.30 so my window is open until 7.30 tonight. Just enjoying my coffee.

Humpty no swimming I'm afraid. My physio says I do it wrong and make matters worse. Shame because I do like swimming.

A tip....if you have dodgy knees apparently you are not supposed to do breast stroke. Who knew. :rotfl: but the big one Is I can't put my face in the water - too scared - so i was straining my neck. Maybe I should try these nose clip things so I can do a proper head in the water front crawl.

Moll - definitely get that garage sorted and the gym set up. :rotfl: my ultimate goal is to clean out the shed.....and turn that into my gym. Its huge so I would have a lot more room to spread out the equipment. There's power and light too. Its bit of an eyesore actually but I can titivate it and make it look nice on the outside. A lick of paint and a bit of judicious planting, make it look more like a chalet. A bit of insulation and a space heater and it should be ok.

Back bedroom/study going well. Should finish today.

Omelette for brunch. Got a homemade chicken curry in the slow cooker, cauliflower rice and then a mango for a treat. Creamy curry so definitely more than 500 calories today, even though I will only be having two meals. :rotfl:

Summer. Yes if we stay focussed we should see a big difference by then, My birthday is July 6th. .....could I lose 2 stone by then. It would be nice.

I'll make that my target. :eek::D
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Brunch at 11.30 so my window is open until 7.30 tonight. Just enjoying my coffee.

Humpty no swimming I'm afraid. My physio says I do it wrong and make matters worse. Shame because I do like swimming.

A tip....if you have dodgy knees apparently you are not supposed to do breast stroke. Who knew. :rotfl: but the big one Is I can't put my face in the water - too scared - so i was straining my neck. Maybe I should try these nose clip things so I can do a proper head in the water front crawl.

Moll - definitely get that garage sorted and the gym set up. :rotfl: my ultimate goal is to clean out the shed.....and turn that into my gym. Its huge so I would have a lot more room to spread out the equipment. There's power and light too. Its bit of an eyesore actually but I can titivate it and make it look nice on the outside. A lick of paint and a bit of judicious planting, make it look more like a chalet. A bit of insulation and a space heater and it should be ok.

Back bedroom/study going well. Should finish today.

Omelette for brunch. Got a homemade chicken curry in the slow cooker, cauliflower rice and then a mango for a treat. Creamy curry so definitely more than 500 calories today, even though I will only be having two meals. :rotfl:

Summer. Yes if we stay focussed we should see a big difference by then, My birthday is July 6th. .....could I lose 2 stone by then. It would be nice.

I'll make that my target. :eek::D

When my kids were having swimming lessons one of them was frightened of putting their face in the water, even if we got him to do that he held his breath rather than breathe out. Swimming teacher told me to get a big bowl of water and every night get him to put his face in the bowl until he felt comfortable then get him to put his face in and blow bubbles. It did work but not sure you would want to do that every evening,

I don't like jumping in and diving is even worse, one sadistic swimming teacher at a mother and baby class got me standing on the side and in position to dive, I said no I couldn't and went to back away and she said, "Well you have to or you will be telling your child that it isn't safe to do." I did it but never again. I know where it stems from as when I was about ten we were messing about in a swimming pool with floats and things, I had a swimming ring on and dived in and the ring ended up round my ankles and I couldn't get it off, couldn't stand up and was in danger of drowning. Strange how these things stay with us. So I am the person the pool steps were invented for:rotfl: Maybe a nose clip and goggles would help.

I can see how breast stroke wouldn't be good for knees, its the way you turn them isn't it.

I'm going out for dinner tonight, looking forward to it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I use an air flosser on my teeth - my dentist recommended it when I had implants a few years ago. You fill it with water and it jet sprays into the gaps. I lost my 3 front teeth about 12 years ago. I had a lot of crowns from an early age and then around Christmas time 12 years ago one of my front crowns fell off (always happens when the dentist is closed, doesn’t it!). I wasn’t too worried, just thought, Oh no another crown and the expense. My then (NHS) dentist put another crown on, but that too fell off a week later. I was told that the bone density in my mouth wouldn’t sustain a crown any more. He suggested an implant (they weren’t as common back then) and referred me to a dental surgeon. After the consultation, I was told that, all 3 of my front crowns would eventually fall off. I had the3 teeth extracted and wore a temporary denture until the implants knitted with the bone. I had a Bridge in the middle. This was a while ago, and I believe the process took longer then

Fast forward 6 years, my NHS dentist retired, I now see a private dentist. 3 of my bottom teeth started to go the same way, and I now have 6 implants, 2 bridges. My teeth look OK, hardly film star look, but I have teeth! I am meticulous about brushing and flossing and see the hygienist every 3 months.

It was an expensive process, but well worth it to me. It’s funny how some people will happily spend their money on expensive holidays or cars, but won’t spend on their teeth. When I was working, a colleague once said, “Oh, I’ve been told I need an implant, but I couldn’t possibly afford it, you are very lucky”. This colleague lived for her holidays and always had an expensive holiday every year (think Florida, Maldives etc) and a few short breaks in between. I don’t, but then again, that is my choice. Horses for courses.

I am continuing to drink my water, and I have lost 2 lbs this week, so like LL - onwards and downwards:smiley:
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I use an air flosser on my teeth - my dentist recommended it when I had implants a few years ago. You fill it with water and it jet sprays into the gaps. I lost my 3 front teeth about 12 years ago. I had a lot of crowns from an early age and then around Christmas time 12 years ago one of my front crowns fell off (always happens when the dentist is closed, doesn’t it!). I wasn’t too worried, just thought, Oh no another crown and the expense. My then (NHS) dentist put another crown on, but that too fell off a week later. I was told that the bone density in my mouth wouldn’t sustain a crown any more. He suggested an implant (they weren’t as common back then) and referred me to a dental surgeon. After the consultation, I was told that, all 3 of my front crowns would eventually fall off. I had the3 teeth extracted and wore a temporary denture until the implants knitted with the bone. I had a Bridge in the middle. This was a while ago, and I believe the process took longer then

Fast forward 6 years, my NHS dentist retired, I now see a private dentist. 3 of my bottom teeth started to go the same way, and I now have 6 implants, 2 bridges. My teeth look OK, hardly film star look, but I have teeth! I am meticulous about brushing and flossing and see the hygienist every 3 months.

It was an expensive process, but well worth it to me. It’s funny how some people will happily spend their money on expensive holidays or cars, but won’t spend on their teeth. When I was working, a colleague once said, “Oh, I’ve been told I need an implant, but I couldn’t possibly afford it, you are very lucky”. This colleague lived for her holidays and always had an expensive holiday every year (think Florida, Maldives etc) and a few short breaks in between. I don’t, but then again, that is my choice. Horses for courses.

I am continuing to drink my water, and I have lost 2 lbs this week, so like LL - onwards and downwards:smiley:

That's encouraging. If I lose any teeth I want to have implants if possible. I don't smoke and I was told that is good as it makes it more likely the implants will work, don't know if it is true. I know what you mean about what people spend money on, one of the people I mentioned who couldn't afford an implant has a yacht which seems a luxury to me but like you say horses for courses, would be a boring old world if we were all the same.

I'm not doing very well with drinking water so I must try harder. Well done on the weight loss.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    That's encouraging. If I lose any teeth I want to have implants if possible. I don't smoke and I was told that is good as it makes it more likely the implants will work, don't know if it is true. I know what you mean about what people spend money on, one of the people I mentioned who couldn't afford an implant has a yacht which seems a luxury to me but like you say horses for courses, would be a boring old world if we were all the same.

I'm not doing very well with drinking water so I must try harder. Well done on the weight loss.

I think it is true, as people who smoke have receding gums, which makes it harder for the implants to 'take'. My ex-next door neighbour had receding gums through smoking. She had gum disease and had to have all her teeth removed. She wanted implants but it would have run to 1000s, which she just hadn't got.

She also had the beginnings of COPD, but I'm glad to say that as she quit smoking as soon as she knew, that has not got any worse.

I haven't smoked for nearly 30 years, I am so glad, I had a smoker's cough (which of course now would be called the beginnings of COPD!) even then, I probably would have been on constant oxygen by now, if not dead. My lung function came up fine on my recent health screening. :)

I don't take credit for giving up, I had prayer and the addiction was taken away which enabled me to not start again. I know not everyone believes in prayer, that is fine, but that is how it worked for me :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 2:30PM
    Options
    If there is anyone here who smokes who wants to give up, here is a timeline of the benefits of stopping:

A Quit Smoking Timeline

So the reasons for quitting seem pretty sound, but how long do you have to wait before the health benefits actually take effect? Let’s break down the changes over time, so you’ll know when you’re likely to start noticing the results of smoking cessation.

20 minutes: Your pulse rate will return to normal.

8 hours: Your oxygen levels begin to return to normal, whilst nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in your blood decrease by over 50%.

48 hours: You should start to notice an improved sense of taste and smell. As nicotine levels become depleted, the side effects of nicotine withdrawal such as anxiety and irritability might start to creep in (don’t worry! We have tips to help you with that).

72 hours: Your lungs begin to relax and breathing should be easier. Nicotine is completely eliminated from the body and as a result nicotine withdrawal symptoms will have reached their peak.

5 to 10 days: The average smoker will begin to notice a reduction in the number of nicotine cravings experienced in a day (you’re getting there!)

2 to 12 weeks: Your circulation starts to improve. You may notice that physical activity becomes a lot easier. You’ll be free of the addiction and any psychological effects of withdrawal should have ended.

3 to 9 months: Lung function begins to improve markedly. Coughing and wheezing becomes less frequent and the risk of respiratory infections begins to decrease.

1 year: Your risk of heart disease decreases by around 50%.

5 years: Your risk of stroke is significantly reduced, as your blood vessels begin to widen again, making blood clots less likely.

10 years: Your lung cancer risk is reduced by around 50%, whilst the chance that you’ll develop cancers of the mouth, oesophagus, throat and pancreas is also far less likely.

15 years: Your risk of developing heart disease is the same as that of a non-smoker.

20 years: The likelihood that you’ll develop pancreatic cancer is now equivalent to that of someone who has never smoked. In females, the risk of dying from all smoking-related causes is also now the same as that of a non-smoker.

https://www.quitgenius.com/blog/quit-smoking-timeline
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you Humpty.

I have never smoked but my teeth have never been great. I was born at the end of 1955 and I remember eating a lot of sweets! And I don’t remember cleaning my teeth that much. I remember cleaning them at night, not so much in the morning.

When I was 5, we moved to Hong Kong for my father’s work, and I went from being a very chubby little toddler to a very thin little girl. I didn’t seem to like the food and I used to just drink bottles and bottles of Coca Cola. My parents were naive and I suppose they thought at least I was getting some nourishment. No-one realised the damage it was doing to my teeth. I had my first filling out there at the age of about 8. When we arrived back in the UK, by the age of about 15 practically all my teeth were filled. I then progressed to crowns and then ultimatlely implants. I wish I had looked after my teeth when I was younger, but, there wasn’t as much focus on dental hygiene then, was there? But, hey ho, at least I have teeth now!

Good luck with drinking more water. It’s just a habit that you need to get into. I like to get my first litre all at once first thing in the morning, but then sometimes forget to keep it up during the day:doh: must try harder:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure