Just had EOn smart meters installed, can I now switch?

Options
tadaska
tadaska Posts: 57 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Was with EOn with my old prepay meters for maybe a year and just had them fit credit smart meters. Was going to go for their Fix Online deal but just saw Shell Energy has a much better deal. Can I just switch or is there a time period before I can switch?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No time period - switch away
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • CityLite
    CityLite Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    But be aware you may be credit checked by any new supplier, who may as a result demand a security deposit, or refuse you credit entirely.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2019 at 9:50AM
    Options
    @tadaska
    If you have just had the meters swapped then you might want to first check that E.ON have updated the national database with the new meter details before switching away.
    It might cause you issues if E.ON haven't registered them correctly.
    Details on how to find out who to contact to check, look at this Citizens Advice web page
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home-your-energy-supply/find-out-who-your-gas-or-electricity-supplier-is/ and use the national databases to verify the E.ON has those new meters registered to your address.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tadaska wrote: »
    Was with EOn with my old prepay meters for maybe a year and just had them fit credit smart meters. Was going to go for their Fix Online deal but just saw Shell Energy has a much better deal. Can I just switch or is there a time period before I can switch?

Hello tadaska and, as others have said, there's no need to wait a set period before switching following a meter exchange.

Please be aware, as gsmlnx points out, there's always a delay after meters are changed before accounts are updated with the new details. This is because the meter operator who changed the meters sends us these details by electronic messages. We then need to let several industry third parties know about the changes. These include the energy distributors, meter readers and the national databases that hold details of all energy meters. This is also done via electronic messages.

As gsmlnx says, make sure the national databases have the new meters registered before starting a switch.

Also, avoid going on any of our tariffs with exit fees during the period between the meter exchange and when you switch.

Sorry to lose you tadaska.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @tadaska
    If you have just had the meters swapped then you might want to first check that E.ON have updated the national database with the new meter details before switching away.
    It might cause you issues if E.ON have registered them correctly.
    Details on how to find out who to contact to check, look at this Citizens Advice web page
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home-your-energy-supply/find-out-who-your-gas-or-electricity-supplier-is/ and use the national databases to verify the E.ON has those new meters registered to your address.

Spot on gsmlnx - excellent advice. Many thanks.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • tadaska
    Options
    How do I know if the new meters have been updated on the national database?

It tells me who my supplier is but because the supplier remained the same it does not tell me if the database has been updated.

Also, I found out what are the MPRN and MPAN numbers they have but my new meters not only do not have those numbers, they don't have numbers with the same number of digits at all...
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi when I switched to first utility they required a £300 deposit returned after 6 months.
  • tadaska
    Options
    Hi when I switched to first utility they required a £300 deposit returned after 6 months.

A deposit for what?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @tadaska
    Sorry, yes you are correct, they show the MPRN/MPAN numbers only.
    The serial numbers should appear on your bills from E.ON so you can (or used to be able to) enter meters readings and get a new bill generated straight away. They are hidden as part of the "Your Supply Details" box, I believe.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    tadaska wrote: »
    Was with EOn with my old prepay meters for maybe a year and just had them fit credit smart meters.

People are confused as what appears to have happened as here.
    wrote:
    I just don’t understand why a prepayment meter was installed..... I have always paid by monthly DD
    wrote:
    Hi all, After trying to cook some lunch yesterday and finding no gas coming through, I discovered that the gas meter was unresponsive when pressing the buttons. It appears that the battery has failed, even though the meter was only fitted in September 2016! I am now without heating, hot water and cooker and have been for 24 hours. I have sent messages to find out what is happening and so far to no avail.... I understand that there is a time frame for getting a reply from Pure Planet, but you would think that this emergency would somehow be prioritised! We live 1000ft above sea level, so you can imagine that the temperatures are dropping as autumn comes in. What are your experiences with the level of customer service received, as I am currently VERY disappointed!

https://community.purepla.net/threads/2551-Battery-Failure-on-Gas-Meter?p=11895&viewfull=1

Thers no such thing as a credit smart meter,if the above for example was in prepayment mode the supplier would have had to attend and repair in four hours'.If someone gets a quote on another suppliers site it will show credit smart meter even if its in prepayment mode.

I would not have mine switched back to credit again for all the tea in China,bills went immediately rose and had great difficulty geting them reverted back again to prepayment mode.As we can see above the battery problem arises again and fast call out response is required.Prepayment is the place to be with this battery problem,a meter is suspect after two years plus or minus a period.As well as price check the level of service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure