iPhone pricing glitch

Options
Hopefully, this is the right forum:

If you're thinking of buying a new iPhone XS or XS Max outright - head to J*hn L*w*s online. There appears to be a significant pricing glitch on the top spec models.

iPhone XS 512Gb should be £1,349, but is priced at £1,149 - the same price as the 256Gb model. (Gold and Silver only, Space Grey is full price).

iPhone XS Max 512Gb should be £1,449, but is £1,249. Again, this is the same price as the 256Gb model. (Sold out in Silver, still available in Gold and Space Grey).

That's £200 off Apple's standard pricing. The lower spec models are all labelled as per Apple's usual prices for these models.

This pricing doesn't apply in store, and doesn't appear to be part of any promotion. I think they've just made a mistake. Obviously, it's not a saving if you weren't going to buy one anyway, but if you were...or you were just wishing your budget could run to the bigger storage spec, this might be good timing.

If you do go-ahead, remember that the vendor can cancel the sale right up until you have the goods in your hands. Suggest you arrange next-day delivery, or in-store collection to minimise the time they have to do that.

Please ask yourself the Money Mantra questions before handing over your hard-earned. I don't want a load of people slating me for encouraging frivolous spending :A

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Wow. What a bargain. I'll be rushing off to order several.
  • throwaway71
    Options
    @mobilejunkie

IF someone was going to buy one, then yes, it is a bargain.

That’s almost 15% off a product that is very seldom discounted, or which usually requires you to tie into a secondary cost (ie sim contract) to get a discount.

If what you need is a functional, moderately priced phone, then obviously this isn’t for you.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks very much for registering, to provide this info.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im all for people buying what goods they like but these prices are obscene, over £1k for a phone.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't forget when John Lewis do not send the phone and tell the customer it was an error. The threads will appear on Consumer section saying John Lewis did not honour and what can I do?;);)
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Im all for people buying what goods they like but these prices are obscene, over £1k for a phone.

They are a bit aren’t they!!!
    I’m questioning whether I really want an XS max or an XR. They are getting to silly money now!
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Not as good but you can get 10% off of your first credit order at Very, new customers only. It should work with phones, just be sure to pay before any interest is payable.

I considered doing it this way a couple of years ago when shopping around for a Samsung.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hopefully, this is the right forum:

If you're thinking of buying a new iPhone XS or XS Max outright - head to J*hn L*w*s online. There appears to be a significant pricing glitch on the top spec models.

iPhone XS 512Gb should be £1,349, but is priced at £1,149 - the same price as the 256Gb model. (Gold and Silver only, Space Grey is full price).

iPhone XS Max 512Gb should be £1,449, but is £1,249. Again, this is the same price as the 256Gb model. (Sold out in Silver, still available in Gold and Space Grey).
    cjv wrote: »
    Not as good but you can get 10% off of your first credit order at Very, new customers only. It should work with phones, just be sure to pay before any interest is payable.

The prices mentioned by the OP seem to be available at Amazon now, so nothing special. Even 'cheaper' elsewhere.

Apple iPhone XS (512GB) Silver - £1,149

Apple iPhone XS Max (512GB) Gold - £1,249

Choosing a different colour can add £200 to the price.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    John Lewis are worth watching. Two weeks ago I bought an iPhone 6S 128gb for £319 that should have been priced at £399; the 64gb was correctly priced at £299. This was oos online but available in store. 2 days later the price had been corrected.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Options
    I succumbed. But I went for the XR - it was the promise of the best battery life ever that clinched it for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure