Crazy cheap October car hire at Malaga

Options
Over October half term 2018 there are numerous ridiculously cheap car hire deals coming up for collect / drop off at Malaga Airport. For example I found a Panda with unlimited mileage for £5 for 9 days!
I am well aware of the tricks these cheaper guys play (Goldcar etc) but has anyone managed to hire one at this price reliably whilst avoiding all the pressure to buy extra insurance and potential claims on the deposit you leave? It strikes me this is far too good to be true and I just cannot bring myself to go with any of these cheap deals but I'm interested to know if anyone has and what was their experience. The only way these hires can make money is if they sell insurance and make ambiguous damage claims!

Comments

• antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OMG..................lambs to the slaughter.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I wouldn’t do it but I know someone who goes regularly to Alicante and hires cars for stupidly low amounts and has never had to pay extra.....yet
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    I wouldn’t do it but I know someone who goes regularly to Alicante and hires cars for stupidly low amounts and has never had to pay extra.....yet
    Oh yeah......that bloke in the pub....i think i know him too
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 12 September 2018 at 7:42AM
    Options
    antenna wrote: »
    Oh yeah......that bloke in the pub....i think i know him too

as i said I woudnt do it because of the hold they put on your card.

but its a family member who does, he does have an annual excess policy and always has to argue with them at the end of the hire to get a hand written signature confirming no damage

I have just returned from Alicante and paid 180 euros for the week, He thinks I am mad but he is also prepared one day to get caught with massive extras

I woudnt have posted it if I wasnt sure of my facts, there is too much of that on here
  • lurkylurky
    Options
    I am on holiday at the moment and paid £6.80 for a three week car hire from Alicante with Goldcar. I have excess insurance so my credit card is ring fenced for 1200 euros.

I was dubious the first time I got one of these stupidly cheap deals but have had several of the last couple of years and so far have had no issues.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    lurkylurky wrote: »
    I am on holiday at the moment and paid £6.80 for a three week car hire from Alicante with Goldcar. I have excess insurance so my credit card is ring fenced for 1200 euros.

I was dubious the first time I got one of these stupidly cheap deals but have had several of the last couple of years and so far have had no issues.

It's not really £6.80, as you paid over the odds for fuel and driving back with an empty tank isn't advisable.
    Then there is a possible long wait on both sides. Picking up the car and then waiting/insisting on them signing off the car and giving out a final invoice before you leave.
  • lurkylurky
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    It's not really £6.80, as you paid over the odds for fuel and driving back with an empty tank isn't advisable.
    Then there is a possible long wait on both sides. Picking up the car and then waiting/insisting on them signing off the car and giving out a final invoice before you leave.

It's Full/Full. Literally £6.80 has appeared on my credit card. I hire a car five or six times a year. I've had some amazingly good deals in the last couple of years. Paid 82p for six days in January. We've had no long waits so far but I do fly quite late at night. I've had no issues with them signing off the cars yet.

I do understand your scepticism, it sounds too good to be true, but honestly so far I've had no issues. One thing that does worry me is the 40/50 Euro late charge pick up. With Goldcar it's after 2300. If I was significantly delayed I'd have to pay this. But I think all car hire companies charge for late pick up and some are earlier than 2300.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    It's Full/Full. Literally £6.80 has appeared on my credit card. I hire a car five or six times a year. I've had some amazingly good deals in the last couple of years. Paid 82p for six days in January. We've had no long waits so far but I do fly quite late at night. I've had no issues with them signing off the cars yet.

I do understand your scepticism, it sounds too good to be true, but honestly so far I've had no issues. One thing that does worry me is the 40/50 Euro late charge pick up. With Goldcar it's after 2300. If I was significantly delayed I'd have to pay this. But I think all car hire companies charge for late pick up and some are earlier than 2300.

You are right, I am somewhat sceptical of that story. But on the other hand, there is no reason for you to lie.
  • lurkylurky
    Options
    No reason at all to lie. Just sharing my money saving experience on our money saving site.

Also, I've checked my Topcashback account for his morning and £10 has gone in from my purchase of my insurance4carhire yearly excess policy. That's more than covered my three week car hire. Can't get more money saving than that.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    No reason at all to lie. Just sharing my money saving experience on our money saving site.

Also, I've checked my Topcashback account for his morning and £10 has gone in from my purchase of my insurance4carhire yearly excess policy. That's more than covered my three week car hire. Can't get more money saving than that.

:)

Did you use a broker to book Goldcar?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family