Should people pay for broadband based on speed?

Options
I used to get bad broadband around 2MB. My neighbhoor could have better speed around 6MB. I just happen to have a rubbish line.

Out of frustration, I paid extra for fibre, but I am annoyed, I have to pay extra simply because the line quality is so bad. How is that my fault?

The phone company should be charging based on the broadband speed I can get. Currently the phone companies have no incentive to improve speeds.

It is unfair, I have to pay for fibre, just to get reliable internet.

The phone company should dig up the road and fix their network, if they want me to pay the full price for broadband.

What do people think?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Find a better provider?

Why should anyone pay by the speed they receive? Can you imagine how much bills potentially would fluctuate by and then all the threads complaining about it.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rajeshk4u wrote: »
    The phone company should dig up the road and fix their network, if they want me to pay the full price for broadband.
    With limited exceptions, you don't buy broadband from the network operator. For the majority of residential sites in the UK, the network of phone lines is maintained by Openreach, but you can't buy broadband from them as they are obliged to offer wholesale access to ISPs. So your broadband provider can't "dig up the road" as it is not their wire to "fix".

If you want to move to a model where the network operator has a monopoly on use of the line so we all have to use their appointed ISP (which would be BT) and to use a different ISP they would have to run their own cable to your house, then you seem to want to make the price of an internet connection far more expensive than it currently is.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Speed more speed.
    Cheap more cheap .

Reliability comes way behind customer asks .

Better speed more reliable service via FTTP no i dont want to pay the price .

Fact is we have old to very old copper telephone cables that need replacing .Users are not willing to pay for this to be upgraded .
  • rajeshk4u
    rajeshk4u Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Find a better provider?

Why should anyone pay by the speed they receive? Can you imagine how much bills potentially would fluctuate by and then all the threads complaining about it.

How will that solve anything?. It does not matter if I switch from TalkTalk, Sky, BT... they will all use the same physical phone line to my house.

It just happens my line, has more 'noise' on it, so the internet I can get limited, so say to my neighbours, who happen to have a better line. There are spare lines, but they are worse, then what I have.
  • rajeshk4u
    rajeshk4u Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Better speed more reliable service via FTTP no i dont want to pay the price .

You mean the shoddy fibre offered by BT, TalkTalk, Sky etc...

The download speed may be around 38MB (or what ever they promise). However, the upload speed is still 1MB.

Companies like HyperOptic are offering 150MB or 1GB speed two ways! Both upload and download. Unfortunately, it is n't available everywhere.

As for customers don't want to pay, what a load of cobblers, these greedy companies have been increasing prices every year, but offering nothing in return.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    No i mean the new rollout of Fibre Optic from Open Reach with speeds 300meg plus .
    Starts from 80/20 .

Hyperoptic 1 gig standard price £63 pm .
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    So you get 2Mbps today and you pay £2 per month on a new speed related sliding scale of charges. Openreach install FTTC and now you can get 70Mbps, so that means you would be happy paying £70?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You mean the shoddy fibre offered by BT, TalkTalk, Sky etc...

The download speed may be around 38MB (or what ever they promise). However, the upload speed is still 1MB.

Companies like HyperOptic are offering 150MB or 1GB speed two ways! Both upload and download. Unfortunately, it is n't available everywhere.

As for customers don't want to pay, what a load of cobblers, these greedy companies have been increasing prices every year, but offering nothing in return.

The upload speed on fibre will be 9Mbps plus, on my fibre I get 37/9.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Hmmm....not quite -looking back I was paying £17.99pm for <2Mb broadband some 12 years ago - I now get ~ 16Mb service for £3.49pm
    Agreed that line rental costs have increased over the same period - but I'm still paying less in total than I was 12 years ago.:)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2019 at 9:02AM
    Options
    You want investment in network for better speeds.

You want it to be cheap.

The 2 are not compatible.

Investment comes from research and investment which both cost huge amounts of money.

Starve BT of money like this , delay your upgrade in the long term.

Down near me they are quietly doing a tidying up exercise in all the local green cabs ( if you've seen inside they are normally a mass of tangled wiring) with brand new connection strips and retermination of all the copper pairs. When finished the cabs are tidy and fault liabilities greatly reduced . No fanfare , just done as it needed doing
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family