The Great 'Dads: what would you like for Xmas?' Hunt

Options
13»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Best gift ever for my Dad was a handmade Monopoly. Asked my grandmothers for all of the addresses my Mum and Dad had ever lived at, with Park Lane and Pall Mall being the two homes they'd had as a married couple. The stations were four cars he'd had - Haynes Manual covers as the image for the stations. Pieces to move around the board were to do with Mum and Dad - bobbin, lego brick etc. Chance and Community Chest cards followed the pattern of the original - all money stayed same so the game worked - but the things done linked to M & D. I was shaking when I gave it to my Dad, it had taken hours. He loved it and it had so much more value than any bought gift.
    That is such a lovely idea, I'm glad he appreciated the work you put into it :)
  • Nuclear_Bear
    Options
    As a Dad can I just say that I love the small things in life. I know my kids love me and I don't expect or need expensive presents from them.

And, by the way, I LOVE getting socks - and if I can get into the second week in January with a new pair each day I'm a very happy man!
    Living in the light of HIS word!:rotfl:
  • kippygolf
    kippygolf Posts: 1,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I was a child my dad had a favourite cognac brandy that we always bought him at Christmas. Each year I used to dress it up in some way to try and make it a surprise. I made a cardboard Santa's sleigh to put it in, or used gold card and paper doilies to make it into one of the three wise men, etc... But his favourite was when I made and embroidered a felt bag for it, as if it was a medicine, with:
    Prescribed for: his name and 'best dad'
    Date: Christmas 19--
    Dose: take regularly, as needed.
    He kept it, and would often use it to amuse visitors. As an adult, I found it amongst his things after he died. That was years ago, and I still miss him!
  • Sulevia
    Sulevia Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    My Dad is 87 and he asked for a memory stick so he can de-clutter the hard drive on his computer and back up some of the stuff he is hoarding on it.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    and I thought it was just me - that didnt really want anything - but felt obliged to come up with ideas for the family to get me.

I enjoy the thrill of watching kids and wife open what I have bought and surprised them with..... memories mean the most to me

Sad ole geet I am :D
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    If you're a sad sack Rob, then I'm a sad sackess :p

Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    My dad is easy to buy gifts for, my mum is not!

This year I've bought him a Stelton coffee jug and a lot of flavoured coffees (my mum doesn't drink coffee, so he can now make a pot full and keep the rest warm). He also likes things from Lush - I normally try to find the most evil glittery thing I can :rotfl: :rotfl:

I bought him a Swiss Army knife for his birthday.

I've also tried to send them to do things for time to time as well, a brewery tour one year and tea at a London hotel went down well.

If only my mum was so easy, she only ever wants face cream from Boots that feels like a bit like vacuum pump grease to me - easy, but I feel unimaginative.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • spaceboy
    spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scaletrix
    AccuPower IQ328 battery charger
    Havana Club rum
    pyjamas
    a Cuban cigar
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    If your husband/dad is a DIY enthusiast and spends hours in the garage or shed (in my case, barn) if he's got no music, a Makita site radio is a nice gift albeit a bit expensive. You can hook an iPod up to it as well. Just got one for my hubby and it's nice and robust so perfect for using outside generally in the summer rather than risking taking out the delicate interior stuff.

What about the neighbours, do they share his taste in music? When I go out in my garden I want to listen to the birds singing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure