PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Options

Comments

• DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was this close :kisses3: to a nsd then saw the sweetie man (very naughty man who leaves a tray of bags of sweets £1 each and an honesty box in our coffee room) had some meerkat sweeties. Bought 2packs to give as silly pressies. I shall make instructions on how to play 'compare the meerkat.com' to go with them!
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • coldcazzie
    coldcazzie Posts: 1,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 February 2012 at 8:24PM
    Options
    cleggie wrote: »
    Coldcazzie- i am exactly the same (re the bit in bold). i think that because having an emoty fridge/freezer/cupboard for so long WAS because i had no money or food in the house, i cant bear to see any of them empty, even wheni KNOW i have plenty of food.
    A prime example of this is this morning. My fridge is virtually empty, only ham, eggs and marg in there really, and it made me so miserable as we didnt have cheese, yogurts, chocolate (all the 'luxury' things for me)...but i also know that barr milk, i have everything i need in the fridge. I have a weeks worth of meals written down, that i have all of the ingrediants to..so i shoudln't worry about it looking empty, all i need is milk!
    I think both the above apply to me .... I grew up in the middle of nowhere (literally) and we were frequently cut off for weeks in the winter and ended up eating the same staples over and over (but at least we did eat).

I think some of it is having a larger choice. If you have ham and several cheeses and patê and some veg in your fridge then you can choose whether you want cheddar and ham, or lancashire and tomato or patê and cucumber, whereas when you're hard up that choice can be taken away from you - you have to have cheddar every day because you've nothing else and can't afford anything else. I find that particularly hard with the kids, while they're quite happy to have a cheese sarnie two days running, I feel like a bad mum for not being able to offer them that choice; to say do you want ham or cheese and would you like a yogurt or a banana afterwards. I feel like I've failed them.
    Then I got really into debt and the SM replaced the clothes, make up (and handbags .... lots and lots of handbags:o) as it was the only shop I could justify visiting.

I think past debt is important - it's so hard to understand what it's like to live on such a tiny budget unless you've actually been there. I remember my mum once saving to me "but the multipacks are better value" and I said "I know they are, but to get that better value requires a bigger outlay in the first place, and I simply don't have the money for it". It's very hard to shake those habits once theyre ingrained - more money means you can stock up and get those better value things you werent able to get before.

And again it goes back I think to feelings of failure at not being able to provide for your family. Part of the period of my life that lead to my LBM involved tax credits screwing about with my payments in that way they like to do. They'd sent me an award, but by the time the payment arrived they'd sent out a subsequent award (which hadn't yet arrived) which changed the payment amount. I rang them and queried the fact that the amounts didn't match to be told airily "oh that award notice is out of date". So I asked, panicking, how I was supposed to buy food for 4 for 3 weeks with the £80 they'd paid me (I was expecting £250+) and was told "well, it's not a benefit, it's a credit, so you shouldn't rely on it to buy things with". I was stunned at the callousness of such a statement but more than that I felt horribly guilty and like a complete failure as a person and a mum at having to 1, rely on handouts to be able to feed my kids, and 2, at having to ring my mum in tears and ask her to buy me food so we could eat.
    Rule 7: If you're not changing it, you're choosing it.
    MFW 2020: 1 Jan £92903.90 ~ OP £536.80/£500
    MFW 2021: 1 Jan £89281.21 ~ OP £404.62/£500
    MFW 2022: 1 Jan £85579.20 ~ OPs on hold.
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gotta run but had to say what a wonderful bunch of people are on this thread. Said it since before I started but the support is blooming marvellous!

And unlike the sm products, really priceless!

Thank you all,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 February 2012 at 9:03PM
    Options
    I just want to send hugs to everyone who's exploring really difficult stuff. I hope it's not too grim doing it but I suspect it is a valuable process.
    Big hugs

Weekly shop done, mainly in Mr M with The S*n voucher, managed to get just above the £40 to get the £5 off, then frozn veg in Asd@ but ggrr they had run out of the discounted coffee beans I wanted, will have to go another time. Asd@ have some Garnier/Nivea skincare at £1.50, great if you use it, as I do. 'New' freezer now stocked with 3 ys loaves, hurrah!

More than half the budget spent but that's this week's shop pretty much done and then only one more week to go.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    ooh thankyou i will look out for it

Just had to jump in as I love Halloumi too... Mr T are very good with the range of halloumi, in my (medium sized small town) Mr T, they do normal, lighter (30% less fat), halloumi with chillies in and another that I can't remember. HOWEVER, they are £2.28 ish a pop so a real luxury for me! Plus, I have been known to use the quarter of a block I need in a recipe, then while waiting for it to cook, just nibble on a slice of the remainder of the block, then another, etc, so before you know it that was one expensive recipe!! :rotfl: (I'm a piggie though...oink :D )

LC
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone just declaring my first NSD in well ......ever!!! Thanks to your hints and tips x:T
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Finished my Week 3 shopping today, spent £5.31 in actual money. Used a £5 Mr T voucher, and also went to L1dl for the first time ever... I didn't love it, but I'll certainly be including it on my trips in future if only for the veg... it's quite small, so I found the veg didn't have a huge selection (e.g. no cooking apples for my tea tonight...) but I think it's definitely somewhere I'll start including. :money:

I got some great whoopsies, e.g. a choc chunk muffin for 14p, a mushroom pilau rice 34p, a WHOLE roast chicken £1.14 (should have been £6) - that one I'm a bit afraid of as I don't know where to begin cutting it up to make it into freezable portions... :eek:

Also was VERY naughty and got half price HD ice cream... £2.22 :mad: but soooooooooooo good, I shall have some after my tea :D

I am currently waiting for my Mock Goose to cook... it's a recipe I'm trying from We'll Eat Again... if it's good, I'll post it! Hint: The clue is NOT in the title :rotfl:

I don't need to get anything else from Week 3 - still have tons of food in, am just topping up fresh stuff really, and whoopsies!

Ok, off to check on my "creation" and watch 90210 so will report back later...

LC

Feb GC: £66.95/£98
    Week 1: £13.38/£14
    Week 2: £17.69/£18
    Week 3: £11.64/£13
    Week 4: £0/£14
    Week 5: £0/£14
    Stores: £24.24/£25
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Another (unplanned) spend on groceries on Saturday - I now only have £18.45 of this month's budget left :eek:
    Cheryl
  • mumwithamission
    Options
    Was hoping for a NSD today but broccoli down from £1 to 20p and Quorn mince down from £2.10 to 49p got the better of me at Mr T's. :rotfl:
  • bupster
    bupster Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another NSD for me, pleased with that anyway, two in a row. Horrific month budget-wise as lots of big outlays, but I got an unexpected bonus from work so that's alleviated the panic.

To those who struggle to stay out of supermarkets, I know exactly how you feel. I think mine comes from somewhere else rather than childhood, though I have been proper skint on more than one occasion.

I feel like going shopping for food and trying to get bargains counts as getting hold of myself and my life, like being in control, and it's also almost like a game, where you put your prizes in the fridge, only being good at it is also being good, if that makes sense.

So coming home with seven quid's worth of shopping and posting it on here is my equivalent of dragging the hairy mammoth back to the cave and waving my spear around. It's much harder to say, well, actually, my fridge is full of mammoth and I've got no money so I can't go and triumph over anything today. No prizes for me, in fact nothing at all. I'll just sit here and not do anything except be skint.

Anyway, that's my tuppenceworth and apologies if it's completely garbled.
    Grocery challenge September 2022: £230.04/£200
    Grocery challenge October 2022: 0/£200

2012 numbers:
    Grocery challenge - April £65.28/£80
    Entertainment - £79

Grocery challenge March £106.55/£100
    Grocery challenge February £90.11/£100
    Grocery challenge January £84.65/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories