Energenie Standby Shutdown monitor

Options

Comments

• bluejosiah
    Options
    Need to leave some feedback as I received one too...
    I first plugged it in to my stereo system downstairs, followed the instructions and left it. After about 5 minutes the stereo switched off automatically which I thought was strange. I gave it another go and the same thing happened.

I went upstairs to a getto-blaster, I followed the instructions and blow me down it switched itself off! I was really really puzzled so I phoned the company and was told that this was probably happening as the use of electricity was too low for the device to work :mad:

I'm very good at not leaving things on standby, however I do leave my stereo's on standby as this saves the programmed radio frequencies, so I don't have to retune each time. However it turns out that they don't work on my stereo's even though there are pictures of stereo's on the box. So, it looks like I'm not going to have a use for the device. Guess I'll get round to putting it on freecycle and give it to someone who can use it! :confused:
  • allan2006
    Options
    oooooooohh bluejosiah and i thought i was the only one!

I tried it on a hifi and it kept switchin off, the large tv was ok.....but it doesnt work on a portable tv either....

I`m guessin you can only use this on something which uses quiet a lot of electric but according to the box it works with dvds and stereos so a bit misleading
  • jscalow
    Options
    I've got mine on the tv and it is a bit of pain bending and reaching behind the tele, but am sure i will get used to it.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got mine too. I wanted to post a thanks but couldn't find a thread. Thanks for making this one JB. :)

Many thanks to MSE and Energenie.
  • Juneno
    Juneno Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I got mine a couple of weeks ago too but couldn't find a thread til now!

I agree the cable is too short but it has saved me some cash since I put the bedroom tv on it as hubby is too lazy to get up and switch it off, so puts it to standby.

Many thanks Energenie and, of course, MSE :beer:
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    I've been having problems with this device too, but didn't like to post as it was a freebie!
    I tried it initially with a small LCD tv and DVD. It kept turning off
    . I contacted Energenie, and they suggested connecting another appliance. I added a set top box. It worked initially, but then turned off after about 20 mins. Not really energy saving if you have to turn on more appliances than you want.
    I've tried it on a larger TV and that turned off after about 20 mins.
    Also, if I can reach the plug then I turn appliances off at the plug.I don't really see the point of this if you still have to access the plug to turn it back on.I'm still hoping to find an appliance this will work on.
    Can people post what appliances they've got them working on please?
  • MD_Energenie
    Options
    Jazzy_B wrote: »
    Got mine today
    Many thanks MSE and Energenie
    Just a bit a feedback. Does anyone know if this can be used with more than one appliance?
    Where I want to put mine is on a TV that has a plug behind a chest of drawers. As it has to be turned on again using a button on the appliance, a longer lead would have been much more useful to me.
    Don't wish to sound ungrateful, but I thought I'd put in my tuppence worth.
    Hi I am Alan Tadd the MD of Energenie. Thanks very much for your feedback we are currently looking at improving the product and trying to provide an optimum length of cable, can you please advise the length that would met your requirement. You can reply to me at [EMAIL="atadd@powerconnections.co.uk"]atadd@powerconnections.co.uk[/EMAIL].

Best Regards
    Alan Tadd
  • cjt105
    cjt105 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

Well, I've had my device for a week or so now, and so I thought I'd post a review here. Not sure if there is somewhere more appropriate on the board to post it - if so, mods feel free to move it.

On reading the back of the packaging, I was quite disapointed to read that it wasn't suitable for laptops, as I had originally intended to use it on my laptop, hoping that I could plug in my laptop charger at the end of the day, and then when the laptop was recharged it would switch off. Undeterred, I tried it anyway, and discovered that it simply didn't switch off! I guess the laptop just doesn't draw enough current.

After that, I tried it on my TV, with more success, in that it switched off after about ten minutes or so. Unfortunately, I've now removed it from there, due to problems with the length of cable. I really don't want to go crawling on my hands and knees around the back of the TV every time I want to switch it on! I've given it some thought, and I'd recomend that the manufacturers change the industrial design so that it looks something like this:

PL-200AV-piggy-plugged-in.jpg

Then, you could run a cable (perhaps 2m), to a small seperate switch which could be mounted on top of the TV with blu-tack or similar.

As a bit of a greenie, I was very impressed with the packaging - no plastic, yet still looked great. It really shows what you can do with a bit of imagination :T

Finally, in terms of whether it is a money-saving tool... It currently retails for £12.99 and my TV uses about 15W on standby. My electricity costs 12p or so per unit. So for the device to break even, I'd have to use 109 units of energy, which represents leaving my TV on standby for 7266 hours - approximately ten months!

In conclusion, if they fix the usibility issues with the length of cable, and you're the kind of person who is likely to leave their TV on standby for very long periods, then go for it. Otherwise, you're probably better off convincing the kids just to switch the TV off! :mad:

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Cheers,

C
  • stylin_and_profiling
    Options
    I really wanted one of these :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts