35 hour a week work search is becoming difficult. How to not get sanctioned?

Options
Hi. I went on Universal Credit about a month ago. I was supposed to see a work coach about a week or so after signing on, but my dad hasn't been too well and was back n forth at hospital so I forgot entirely about the appointment. I thankfully didn't get sanctioned after explaining why I missed the appointment. Anyway, I went for another appointment (not to see a work coach) and they arranged for me to see a work coach on Monday.

The thing is, I have been struggling with the 35 hour per week job search. I have only been able to do a couple hours of job searching each day because there isn't a lot I can apply for due to not being qualified for a lot of jobs. I mainly apply for minimum wage type of jobs, in the industrial sector (warehouse and factory etc) and customer service. There just aren't a lot of those jobs out there, especially not enough to complete 5 hours of applications per day.

I have even travelled around to a few places on foot (I don't drive) and using public transport to visit some potential employers, but no luck as of yet. I am a bit stressed that I will get sanctioned for not completing 35 hours of work searching.

What can I do?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Play the game and apply anyway. Sorted.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Unfortunately I suspect that the advice from andydownes123 is correct. Despite the fact that what you end up doing is a waste of everybodies time, you need to follow the rules. By all means speak to your work coach and see if they have any other ideas or thoughts on the situation.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I mainly apply for minimum wage type of jobs, in the industrial sector (warehouse and factory etc) and customer service. There just aren't a lot of those jobs out there

It's Christmas. Are you sure about that? Have you tried employment agencies?
    I have even travelled around to a few places on foot (I don't drive) and using public transport to visit some potential employers

Don't do that, it's not evidenced and they may just not believe you did it and sanction you anyway. Have you not seen I, Daniel Blake?

The attitude nowadays is that you have no real entitlement to get benefits and they are actively looking for ways not to give you them. So just do all the things they tell you to do, even if it means applying for jobs you don't want or wouldn't get.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that you cannot find work at this time of year. Employment agencies, especially those who recruit in the warehousing and factory sectors, are screaming out for workers. Warehouses and places like food factories have agency as the bulk of their staffing.

If you genuinely want to find work go and sign up with half a dozen employment agencies advertising for warehouse and factory workers.
  • Enigma16
    Options
    Play the game and apply anyway. Sorted.

I worry about lying because the work coach asks for evidence, right? I don't know how it works with the work coach as this is my first time seeing her. The last appointment I had, the woman told me the lady I am seeing is nice. How true that is, I don't know.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can record other activities too:

1. Updated CV
    2. Careers appointments
    3. Any workshops or jobs fairs you attend
    4. Creating cover letters

I also suggest you look at local job groups on FB.

Try recruitment agencies.

Look at free level two courses you could do to enhance the CV and they are free and many distance learning so you can do them from home.

Try volunteering, looks great and shows themyou are active and doing something with your time.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Enigma16 wrote: »

I have only been able to do a couple hours of job searching each day because there isn't a lot I can apply for due to not being qualified for a lot of jobs.

What can I do?

Ive picked out the relevant bit - what you can do is ask the job centre to send you to college so you can get qualifications. Then there will be more you can apply for.

I once had no qualifications and the job centre paid for me to go back to school and get some. After a few months of study as a mature student I now work in the private sector and will always have employment because I now hold 2 licences to work in the private security industry.

The opportunity to gain qualifications is at your fingertips, just ask them to send you to college and get some. Jobcentre isn't all about signing on once a fortnight. They can also offer the means for further education if lack of qualifications is holding you back & at no cost to yourself in a few months time you could be in a very different position.

Put the work in at college. Otherwise you'll be in this situation much longer & will only ever have a certain job market on offer. "would you like fries with that?". (not that I have any problem with maccy d's lol)
  • Enigma16
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that you cannot find work at this time of year. Employment agencies, especially those who recruit in the warehousing and factory sectors, are screaming out for workers. Warehouses and places like food factories have agency as the bulk of their staffing.

If you genuinely want to find work go and sign up with half a dozen employment agencies advertising for warehouse and factory workers.

I have signed up to two recruitment agencies. Actually, I received some promising news this morning about jobs. Warehouse work, temp possibly to permanent. I am going to enquire further, see what happens. I agree, it should be easier this time of year, but I have gaps on my CV so my work history hasn't been consistent which could be the problem when applying for with other employers.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...... Erm... Hello??
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    So just do all the things they tell you to do, even if it means applying for jobs you don't want or wouldn't get.

But do this sparingly, there was a big article in one of the newspapers about people who apply for things (this was in a fish and chip shop I think it was) and then don't bother turning up for an interview. That on its own wastes everybody's time including the OP's and the potential interviewer and I would argue it's disrespectful to them.

I would say that if the OP is going to apply for things just to appease the Jobcentre, then apply for things that you will at least consider going for an interview for if you're lucky, so don't apply for a job in John O'Groats if you live in Cornwall. if you get an interview you can put that down for the evidence.

There are other avenues to look at; Apprenticeships for example. The pay is peanuts, granted, but they're usually full time and it often means a greater take home pay than you get on Jobseekers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure