Free camping

Options
Yo dudes,

When I was a nipper I recall my old man taking me camping, and by camping I mean we carried all our gear on our backs into the middle of nowhere, pitched a tent, and walked out the following day. Not a camping site with others around, kind of wild so to speak.

Can you do this these days? I'd like to do it with my kids, but don't know where to start.....
{Signature removed by Forum Team}

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Look at the laws of where youre wishing to go.

In england, the last time i checked dartmoor was the only place you where allowed to wild camp. In wales i think its restricted to pretty much snowdonia national park. Although i think the policy is not allowed but tolerated.

Scotland is a lot more liberal with wild camping although there are some popular tourist areas which have local bylaws preventing it, loch lommond comes to mind.

Google wild camping uk and youll find plenty of information as to where you can and cant and recommendations on spots.
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    In england, the last time i checked dartmoor was the only place you where allowed to wild camp.

Damn, thats not a great start.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Its not free but have a look at CL sites around . Pay the farmer about a fiver a night and maybe you've got somewhere to yourself . We used to disappear into some woods as kids for a few days within walking distance of a shop etc no phones or care if your parents were pulling their hair out . wouldn't like to think my kids/grandkids would do it now.
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • gt568
    Options
    CL sites???????
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    gt568 wrote: »
    CL sites???????

Caravan Club certified locations.

Basically these are sites that met certain standards & are run by the owners rather than the caravan club
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As pointed out, it's technically not legal in England but lots of people do it including myself. Just be sensible, bivvy or small tent, rock up in the evening, no mess, leave early. I bet you can find somewhere good to stay even very close to home.

Look up 'microadventures' as there is a chap promoting exactly this sort of activity.
  • gt568
    Options
    gazapc wrote: »
    As pointed out, it's technically not legal in England but lots of people do it including myself. Just be sensible, bivvy or small tent, rock up in the evening, no mess, leave early. I bet you can find somewhere good to stay even very close to home.

Look up 'microadventures' as there is a chap promoting exactly this sort of activity.

This is the kind of thing I want to do, just to give the kids a taste. Camping on a site, with all the amenities and other people around, doesn't have the same appeal....
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    gt568 wrote: »
    This is the kind of thing I want to do, just to give the kids a taste. Camping on a site, with all the amenities and other people around, doesn't have the same appeal....

The CLs are small - it’s usually a field by the side/at the back of someone’s home. Some have electric hook up but nearly all I would imagine just have toilet/washing facilities.

tbh if your children have never been camping before then to expect them to rough it on their first experience, you might find that it’s their last.
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The CLs are small - it’s usually a field by the side/at the back of someone’s home. Some have electric hook up but nearly all I would imagine just have toilet/washing facilities.

tbh if your children have never been camping before then to expect them to rough it on their first experience, you might find that it’s their last.

I would also agree with this, particularly as it depends in the age of the children.

Another option may be to consider a rougher campsite as previously suggested. One where you can have a camp fire and no distractions like an on site 'club house' etc.. I've had good success with searching on UkCamping and filtering by 'allows fires'.

Where are you in the country? May have some suggestions.
  • gt568
    Options
    Eastern England.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income