Ambulance chasers?

Options
elsien
elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Had a no fault accident earlier in the year. Car sorted, no injury claim as I wasn't hurt.
In the last week I've had calls from a couple of numbers asking about my accident and whether I had claimed everything I was entitled to.

When asked where they'd had my phone number from as I do not recall giving anyone permission to share it (mobile number that I'm careful who I give it to) they said from a general insurance database. When I asked which one as I was unhappy they had my number, they said I needed to ask my insurer and put the phone down on me.

My insurer denies sharing my number with anyone.

How do I find out where these people are getting my details from so I can put a stop to it?
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You don't, you can't. It's nothing to do with your accident (just a coincidence you've had one) they just ring numbers constantly generated by a computer in the hope they get someone like you who says "yes, I've had one". Kerching!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Normally I'd agree, but the first one phoned 4 times over several days before I answered. Would a randomly generated number keep trying, and it seems a bit of a coincidence to then get different companies phoning in the same week.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get a couple of calls a month, and I keep them on the line as long as possible with details of the most horrific crashes ever, dead babies, school buses in reservoirs, wiping out bus stops full of pensioners etc. All good fun, but sadly they always hang up on me, give it a try, really good sport.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was in a garage waiting for my car to be ready and a man came in and got the info of accident vehicles from the garage.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 September 2018 at 9:27PM
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree, but the first one phoned 4 times over several days before I answered. Would a randomly generated number keep trying, and it seems a bit of a coincidence to then get different companies phoning in the same week.
    Too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence?
    Get a phone with call screening / blocking. Best thing I've ever bought I reckon.
    Well perhaps not "the best" but it gets rid of the cold callers!
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    Had a no fault accident earlier in the year. Car sorted, no injury claim as I wasn't hurt.
    In the last week I've had calls from a couple of numbers asking about my accident and whether I had claimed everything I was entitled to.

When asked where they'd had my phone number from as I do not recall giving anyone permission to share it (mobile number that I'm careful who I give it to) they said from a general insurance database. When I asked which one as I was unhappy they had my number, they said I needed to ask my insurer and put the phone down on me.

My insurer denies sharing my number with anyone.

How do I find out where these people are getting my details from so I can put a stop to it?

A straightforward no fault accident but just think of all those who were involved.

Did you have your vehicle recovered by a recovery agent after the accident?
    I take it was taken to a garage who you gave your contact details to?
    The third party insurers.
    Was an engineer instructed by your insurers or the third party insurers to inspect your vehicle?
    Did you get a hire vehicle while yours waa off the road and was there a claims management company involved?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I got those calls too and I haven't had an accident. Loads of people get them - they're just chancers.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    You don't, you can't. It's nothing to do with your accident (just a coincidence you've had one) they just ring numbers constantly generated by a computer in the hope they get someone like you who says "yes, I've had one". Kerching!

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is correct. I was hounded by companies ringing using virtual phone numbers so I would get one call from Drumnadrochit (home of Nessie) and one from Port Askaig on the Isle of Skye. Both were the same person. On every occasion they knew information about the claimant and the incident itself - the date of the incident without me saying a word. Now it is beyond the 3 year period, the calls have stopped.
  • CarolK
    CarolK Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Typical sources of accident information are:-

1. Recovery truck driver
    2. Repairer
    3. Inspection Engineer
    4. Rogue worker in insurance company selling data

Of course, mobile phone companies also sell their data and this could have been a random call from a chancer
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    I got those calls too and I haven't had an accident. Loads of people get them - they're just chancers.

I never had any such calls until I was in a minor accident, and I got them on both my mobile and home number (sometime consecutively if the first number was not answered). I am pretty sure my details came from the repair shop, as they also had details about my car, but we’re not aware that the accident was my fault.

Yes they make random calls but your chances of getting then dramatically increase if you have had an accident.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure