Ambulance chasers?

Options

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NHS sold my details onto an accident firm, treated at A&E who had my details (noted the posters in there for accident firms!) and within a day or two had them contacting me about an accident claim. No-one else had my mobile number and knew about the accident. Had never had any messages about that sort of thing before the incident, rarely even get PPI calls/texts
  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    id take that for helping the nhs
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree, but the first one phoned 4 times over several days before I answered. Would a randomly generated number keep trying,

Yes. I have a call blocking app on my phone and whenever I get one of these calls I immediately block it. The app has a log of any blocked numbers who attempt to call and it's normal for them to try again multiple times before they give up. I haven't made an insurance claim of any description for at least 15 years.
    and it seems a bit of a coincidence to then get different companies phoning in the same week.

Again, not unusual at all to get a few difference companies phone close together.
  • JohnM5206
    Options
    Since early September these firms are in breach of law:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ppi-calls-personal-injury-ban-fines-government-laws-a8528591.html.

Start reporting them to ICO.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Normally I'd agree, but the first one phoned 4 times over several days before I answered. Would a randomly generated number keep trying, and it seems a bit of a coincidence to then get different companies phoning in the same week.

Yes, it does. The computer keeps going round the numbers that don't answer.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JohnM5206 wrote: »
    Since early September these firms are in breach of law:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ppi-calls-personal-injury-ban-fines-government-laws-a8528591.html.

Start reporting them to ICO.

The only way it will stop is if the people involved get prosecuted.

There's no point in fining the companies, as these telemarketing companies have no assets. They operate out of rented offices, with rented computers and rented or second-hand office furniture.

At the first sign of a fine, the company will be would up, and a new one started.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CarolK wrote: »
    Typical sources of accident information are:-

1. Recovery truck driver
    2. Repairer
    3. Inspection Engineer
    4. Rogue worker in insurance company selling data

Of course, mobile phone companies also sell their data and this could have been a random call from a chancer

Or comparison website when you enter you have had a non fault accident
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The police sell your details too
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2018 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Normally I'd agree, but the first one phoned 4 times over several days before I answered. Would a randomly generated number keep trying, and it seems a bit of a coincidence to then get different companies phoning in the same week.

Yes I have a few ringing me, same number look them up, cold caller and then added to my block list. I can see on my third party app the same number rang me 7 times in 2 days - didn't get through :)

Just looked through my blocked list and I have 120 numbers!
  • SID160991SID
    Options
    The accident repair centre's sell the contact details. FACT.... Trying to get them do admit it is a different story.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure