Dial-up Connection Probs

Options
I have a problem folks and I hope someone can help please :)

When I switch on PC the dial-up connection opens straight away without me prompting it and I don't know why or how this happened.
I have tried to find it but can't.
It's not in the System Registry and it's not in Start Up.

Has anyone got any ideas please :)

Comments

• mr_fishey
    Options
    You will probably find one of your programs is trying to access the net to check for updates.Run mscofig and check in there disabling items one at a time untill you can restart your pc without the dial up window poping up
  • LincsLad_3
    Options
    Normal follow-up questions I'm afraid:

1. Which version of Windows are you using?

2. Have you added any hardware or installed (or uninstalled) any software recently?

3. Is your antivirus software running and up to date?

There are several possible causes... is some program (Norton is a prime candidate) dialling out to update itself... if you have installed RealAudio...any of several virus/trojan programs...installing certain Lexmark printers...and using some Microsoft products!!

Any info you can provide to help us narrow down the cause is appreciated! :)
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Normal follow-up questions I'm afraid:

1.  Which version of Windows are you using?

2.  Have you added any hardware or installed (or uninstalled) any software recently?

3.  Is your antivirus software running and up to date?

There are several possible causes... is some program (Norton is a prime candidate) dialling out to update itself... if you have installed RealAudio...any of several virus/trojan programs...installing certain Lexmark printers...and using some Microsoft products!!

Any info you can provide to help us narrow down the cause is appreciated! :)
    Windows XP

No nothing at all recently

Yes ,all up to date

Hubby thought something was trying to dial out but can't find it anywhere...........even deleted the dial-up altogether to see if it would come up .............such and such trying to update.............but nothing is showing.

It's not actually dialling but the box is coming up before Explorer or Outlook are launched :-/

Thanks for any help , much appreciated. ;D
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You will probably find one of your programs is trying to access the net to check for updates.Run mscofig and check in there disabling items one at a time untill you can restart your pc without the dial up window poping up

Will do this later tonight and let you know what happens

Thank you ;D
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A bit more info ...............a invalid password keeps appearing in my dial-up :-/

Does that mean I have a virus ???
  • leosayer39
    Options
    Hi all,

Just to help you a bit you should run

msconfig

not

mscofig

I am in no way an expert but I think i'm right on this one.

Hope this helps

Leo :):):)
    Dont you just love freshly congealed pigs blood, with a bit of fat in :D
  • LincsLad_3
    Options
    This MS article might also help: KB316530.
  • trafalgar_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you Mr Fishey,Lincslad Leo and of course Typical_Scot (who helped also by PM) for your responses. ;D

UPDATE........................

Hubby (who is not a convert of MSE >:( ) hijacked my PC and proceeded to perform 3 hrs of operations on my poorly computer ::)................he works in IT so knows best :-/

No success, but he begrudgingly decided he might as well give msconfig a go 8)

Guess what guys...................................instant problem solving ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You won't believe what ear-ache he has just endured :o

So thank you everybody ......................dial-up box prob gone ;)

You are all stars ;D ;D thank you, thank you ,thank you.

Hubby is sulking in the corner :D:D
  • mr_fishey
    Options
    Glad to be of assistance,next time I'll check my spelling before my next post (mscofig!!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure