Individual Electoral Registration – changes voting registration

Options

Comments

• Electoral_Commission
    Electoral_Commission Posts: 19 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Is it a legal requirement to be registered to vote?

If I decide I'm apathetic to politics and therefore not registered, can it effect my credit rating?
    Hi Julian,

With regard to whether registering is a legal requirement, if you receive a request for your registration information from your local electoral registration office then you are legally obliged to respond. If you do not respond you could face a fine of up to £1,000.

You need to be on the electoral register to vote in all UK elections and referendums. If you aren't registered to vote, you won’t have the chance to have a say on who represents you. We’d strongly recommend registering to vote – your vote matters!

Thanks,

Electoral Commission
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the Electoral Commission. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
  • Hazzinho
    Hazzinho Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Want to use this opportunity to ask ..

Could any organization try to search my name and address on Electoral Vote and send unsolicited mail using my full name and address without my permission ?

Also apart from names and address what other public information on particular person is published ?

Thanks for your time ...

Not if you opt to be on the edited register, it tells you on the forms every year.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Bob,

Credit Reference Agencies can check the names of those registered to vote at a particular address but they can’t access other information (e.g. NI no.) from the register.

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks,

Electoral Commission

Thanks for the information. Good news if that's the case. Unfortunately the whole new procedure is bad news. For example, at the moment I register my three adult children. The chances of them registering themselves are less than zero. I could sum up the new arrangements by using that well-worn clich! - a solution looking for a problem.
  • Electoral_Commission
    Options
    Hi Adindas,

We'll answer your questions separately.

Could any organization try to search my name and address on Electoral Vote and send unsolicited mail using my full name and address without my permission?

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.

Electoral registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register is, by law, a public document. It is available for inspection to allow members of the public to check to ensure that all eligible names have been included and that the names of ineligible people have not. This is considered to be an important safeguard against the potential for abuse of the electoral system. As indicated above, it can only be supplied to certain persons/organisations specified in law, and those persons/organisations are not able to disclose any information from it (that is not included on the open register), and can only use the information contained in the electoral register for the purpose for which they are entitled to receive it. The electoral register is usually in street order rather than name order.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

In order to check whether you are on the open version of the register, you will need to contact the Electoral Registration Officer at your local council, as they are responsible for maintaining the register. To find their contact details, enter your postcode on aboutmyvote.co.uk.

Also apart from names and address what other public information on particular person is published ?

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. Franchise markers are also included indicating eligibility to vote in particular elections for certain electors. Where the person registered is between 16 and 18 their date of birth is included to signify when they will be able to vote for the first time. The open register is identical to the electoral register except that it does not include the details of any elector who has requested that there details be excluded.

More information about electoral registration can be found at aboutmyvote.co.uk.
    I’m the official organisation rep for the Electoral Commission. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 July 2014 at 11:02AM
    Options
    MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    It can also help boost your credit score as if you're not on the electoral roll it's unlikely you'll get accepted for credit.

That just means it has boosted your likeliness to get credit, as people do not have individual credit scores (see thread by MSE Helen Saxon further down).

To quote the article...
    I’ve just found out that my credit score has dropped – should I be worried? Right, hold on there for a second. Actually, you don't have a credit score in the UK, you don’t have a credit rating, and there’s no such thing as a credit blacklist.

Bit worrying that different MSE people are giving conflicting advice.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    How will you verify someone does live where they claim to?

I understand individuals will be able to apply online. What checks will be done to ensure someone does not intentionally use an incorrect address? will something be sent out in the post to confirm the address.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for comprehensive answer
    Hi Adindas,

We'll answer your questions separately.

Could any organization try to search my name and address on Electoral Vote and send unsolicited mail using my full name and address without my permission?

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.

Electoral registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register is, by law, a public document. It is available for inspection to allow members of the public to check to ensure that all eligible names have been included and that the names of ineligible people have not. This is considered to be an important safeguard against the potential for abuse of the electoral system. As indicated above, it can only be supplied to certain persons/organisations specified in law, and those persons/organisations are not able to disclose any information from it (that is not included on the open register), and can only use the information contained in the electoral register for the purpose for which they are entitled to receive it. The electoral register is usually in street order rather than name order.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

In order to check whether you are on the open version of the register, you will need to contact the Electoral Registration Officer at your local council, as they are responsible for maintaining the register. To find their contact details, enter your postcode on aboutmyvote.co.uk.

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. Franchise markers are also included indicating eligibility to vote in particular elections for certain electors. Where the person registered is between 16 and 18 their date of birth is included to signify when they will be able to vote for the first time. The open register is identical to the electoral register except that it does not include the details of any elector who has requested that there details be excluded.

More information about electoral registration can be found at aboutmyvote.co.uk.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Just received a letter from my local (English) council about individual registration. This says "... you have been automatically registered under the new system ... you do not need to do anything now".

This puzzled me, as I have never provided my local council with my National Insurance Number. So how did they get it?

A quick bit of research revealed that local councils have been carrying out a "data matching exercise", marrying up data held by local councils with that held by the DWP!

No mention of this in the letter from the local council, or in the original post in this thread.

Could it be that the Electoral Commission and the councils don't want people to know that they've done this? It smacks of Big Brother. I thought organisations that held personal data had to be up front about how they gathered it? And how can I be sure that my local council has stored my NINo correctly, when I haven't provided it to them and they haven't told me what NINo they have recorded against my name on the Register?

It would have been better if the Council and the Electoral Commission had been open and honest about this.

I have nothing to hide, but this Big Brother mentality, and the patronising attitude of "we know what is best for you" does not it well with me!!
  • alextexmex
    alextexmex Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    Here's a question I am very interested in getting a response to as when I talked to the electoral commission they were less than helpful.

I left the area years ago due to abusive ex partner and their family. Now I'm back I am about to register, but my ex partner still poses risk to me, already been verbally attacked and my car vandalised.

Her sister works for a political party in the UK and has access to the register, and I know for a fact used it to track me in the past.

I had looked at anonymous registration, but says I need a court order and I don't know if the local parties could see my real info on the records. What should I do? What are my rights?
  • Electoral_Commission
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »
    How will you verify someone does live where they claim to?

I understand individuals will be able to apply online. What checks will be done to ensure someone does not intentionally use an incorrect address? will something be sent out in the post to confirm the address.
    Hi Tixy,

When registering online, people will need to provide their full name, date of birth and National Insurance number, as well as their full address, including their postcode. The Electoral Registration Officer is required to acknowledge unsolicited applications, the purpose of this being to establish a connection between the applicant and the address. This applies whether the application is online or otherwise. A confirmation letter must also be sent where an unsolicited application is successful. It is an offense to knowingly provide false information to the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) punishable by a fine of up to £5000 and/or up to six months in prison.

We hope that answers your question.

Thanks,

Electoral Commission
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure