Using Gas but everything off.

Options
I'm away at the mo and my daily smart meter report from BG is showing a small daily usage.

Just a boiler with no pilot light and a hob.

We often leave the house for a few weeks at a time and before smart meters were fitted it read exactly the same from leaving to returning.

in (m³) Consumption in (kWh)
17 Feb 2019 0.00 0.00
16 Feb 2019 0.01 0.13
15 Feb 2019 0.01 0.14
14 Feb 2019 0.02 0.23
13 Feb 2019 0.03 0.33
12 Feb 2019 0.05 0.52
11 Feb 2019 0.03 0.38
10 Feb 2019 0.03 0.37
09 Feb 2019 0.01 0.08
08 Feb 2019 0.02 0.21
07 Feb 2019 0.01 0.14
06 Feb 2019 0.03 0.38
05 Feb 2019 0.06 0.71
04 Feb 2019 0.11 1.25

Are they faulty or is this normal?

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No it look like a small leak on your side.

Try turning off the main vallve and see if it moves. If so then faulty meter.

And call someone now if you can smell gas!
  • PennineAcute
    Options
    I would say you have a problem somewhere. Over the summer, when I may not use hot water, or cook on the hob, my IHD shows 0kW for gas usage.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A "drop test " by a qualified gas fitter would reveal the extent of any small leaks. There is a small nipple on the gas meter to connect a tube and pressure gauge.I think the test lasts around 15 minutes
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had this when smart meters were fitted but our leakage was over double yours.

Turned out to be the seal between the meter and house pipes was the wrong one fitted, called the local gas people who fixed it for free - told them there was a strong gas smell and they fixed it the same day.
  • ogwellian
    Options
    I'm away in Spain, so I'll phone them as see if they can go to the house and check the meter (it's in an outside box).

Thanks for your help.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How utterly idiotic of you Houbara and Mr.Generous for offering information only a qualified person should know.

By giving the info, you're encouraging a non-competent person, plus anyone else who reads this to check their own system. Don't be so ridiculous in future.
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    MeterMan wrote: »
    How utterly idiotic of you Houbara and Mr.Generous for offering information only a qualified person should know.

By giving the info, you're encouraging a non-competent person, plus anyone else who reads this to check their own system. Don't be so ridiculous in future.

The only ridiculous thing is this post. I thought they both explained the procedure very clearly and didn't encourage anyone to do anything.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Leon_W wrote: »
    The only ridiculous thing is this post. I thought they both explained the procedure very clearly and didn't encourage anyone to do anything.

Both sets of instructions are incorrect. You may be savvy enough to not work on gas yourself, but there are plenty of people out there who may stumble on this post and think they can do the test based on the info given. Its dangerous to offer such detailed info on an open forum.

As for calling NGN to check your meter whilst you are on holiday. They don't take chances. I would expect your gas to be disconnected when you come home, where you will have to pay for an engineer to come and reconnect it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 February 2019 at 10:23PM
    Options
    MeterMan wrote: »

Don t be silly Meterman,This information is available in less than a minute on the WWW..
    why on earth would you come to the idiotic conclusion that i m encouraging the OP to have a crack themselves..Can t you read ? I said "qualified person " And that would mean by only a Gas Safe Registered engineer qualified to work on all gas appliances , flues , boilers..Not meter fitters though.. They are not qualified to search out leaks within a property
  • MeterMan
    Options
    Its actually not that easy to find the procedure to test for a gas leak in the UK. There are few ways to determine, but not 100%. Most sites suggest calling the gas emergency services But you're still providing information which shouldn't be given in an open forum.

To staunchly believe what you have done is correct is poor understanding on the dangers of gas to an untrained person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure