Migraine-free wannabe

Options
After a bad year of headaches (daily) and migraines (not as frequent but awful when they arrive) I am on a mission to be healthier and have less migraines. Wonder of there's anyone else with same problem who might join me?!!!

So far, I have gone cold turkey from codeine. Two weeks of being codeine free and it was far easier than expected. I stopped getting daily headaches almost immediately. So now just the migraines to tackle.

Now I am successfully off the codeine, I want my next goal to be losing weight. I read somewhere (but now can't find it) that losing weight can decrease the frequency of migraines. Have also read the opposite too - that it makes no difference. Think it'd be good for me to lose maybe 8 kilos anyway so that's a goal.

I also want to reduce my stress levels. Although I don't work anymore, I can get easily stressed over the smallest thing
And I am trying more regular exercise - cycled 40km yesterday which is a first for me.

I get migraines towards the end of my period. Regular as clockwork - every 4 weeks to the day. Have read that iron tablets can help with that. Hubby (retired GP) is sceptical but I plan to buy some iron tablets this afternoon to see.

Comments

• BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get regular hormonal migraines too, and find one thing that I have to ensure is that I keep my blood sugar levels from spiking and plummeting too much. If I miss meals it can trigger a migraine. Also getting dehydrated can be a trigger for me. Maybe something to keep an eye on while you are trying to lose weight (well done on that, by the way, and also the cycling - go you!)

I'm happy to join you on your healthy and migraine-free quest, I could do with some of that myself! Count me in....
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, Blondeheadon!

I'm really careful about eating regularly and keeping hydrated as that's a trigger for me too. Can't do the 5:2 for that reason. It didn't half trigger migraines when I tried it. Hoping to do the blood sugar diet - perhaps not completely carb free but definitely eating less carbs. I love potatoes so was thinking cutting back to potatoes twice a week would be good.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you haven't already, ask around your family about migraines. You might find a relative who has suggestions of things that worked for her. At least in my family many of us have similar triggers.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • JennyP
    Options
    No-one in the family has them.
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have found that two things are likely to bring along my migraine cluster attack (dehydration and getting over tired). Once I realised, dehydration was ease to manage but events can make over tiredness more difficult to avoid.
    One thing I think helps is as soon as I'm heading into over tiredness area, I take some paracetamol. Doesn't always work but I do believe it's kept a few away.

I think I'm just at the end of a three day cluster attack, fortunately I'm down to just a few attacks a year and that's bad enough so feel for you going thru it daily.
  • JennyP
    Options
    I can't take paracetamol, aspirin or ibuprofen unfortunately due to a liver condition.

I can't get tired either but ironically too much sleep triggers it too.
  • BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with the too much sleep trigger, as well as not enough - also sleep at different times triggers a migraine too. I always get a migraine after the clock go back in the Autumn, it jiggers my body clock. However I am fine when the clocks go forward in Spring for some reason.

I take Maxalt Melts for my migraines, but I also have a very strange but cheap and works for me 'medication' when I have an attack.... an Aldi Belgian Bun! One of these eaten with a cup of tea can stop a migraine developing too far, or I cut one up and nibble on it through the day when I have a migraine but no longer feel nauseous. I have no idea why the bun works so well, it is just the perfect combination of stodge and sweetness for me. I have discovered that the buns freeze well, so I always keep several in the freezer for migraine days. I can't stand the things the rest of the time, it's just all I crave when the dreaded M strikes....!

I've tried other makes of Belgian Buns by the way, and none work as well as the Aldi ones. I have no idea why.

I also have no idea whether this will help anybody else, but the buns are about £1.00 for a pack of 2, so not expensive to try.

:)
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I suffer from cluster headaches and have around 8 attackes a day when on cluster persiod so i feel your pain (literally lol)..

I presume you have sumitriptan tablets or nasal spray to use ? (I have the injectable version)

On the natural remedy side of things, you might also want to try ginger - 1 teaspoon in a bit of water chugged down always seems to help a bit (you might want a nicer way to ingest it)
  • JennyP
    Options
    I've tried other makes of Belgian Buns by the way, and none work as well as the Aldi ones. I have no idea why.

:)
    That made me laugh! Thank you! They should organise clinical trials of Belgian buns!!! I will try them!

Got my iron tablets yesterday. Hubby said the ones for £1 in wilko weren't the right ones or strong enough so he told the pharmacist in Boots what I needed. £7!!!! If they work, I will ask the GP to prescribe them as I have a prescription prepayment certificate.

I used to find maxalt worked and sumatriptan too but now they just delay my migraines. Got zomatriptan now instead but I have heard that triptans can cause heart attacks. I read that there's been a clinical trial where people took.a quarter of a teaspoon of dried ginger at the start of a migraine and it was as effective as triptans. Will try that next time. Have now got cyclizine injections at home too which have always helped me before but it was a pain traipsing to the hospital for one.

Anyway, maybe the iron tablets will mean there isn't a next time!
  • JennyP
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    On the natural remedy side of things, you might also want to try ginger - 1 teaspoon in a bit of water chugged down always seems to help a bit (you might want a nicer way to ingest it)

I was typing my reply as you were writing yours!!! Great minds think alike!

I almost want my next migraine as I feel quite hopeful about ginger. Used to drink ginger and green tea during migraines which seemed to help but it makes me nauseous now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback