Migraine-free wannabe

Options

Comments

• vodkachick68
    vodkachick68 Posts: 758 Forumite
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Thanks, Beautiful_Ravens.

It's good to hear about the keto diet having an effect. I have been reading up on that this week. There's a book about it called The Migraine Miracle - haven't bought the book but checked out the website.

Going to go low carb. Just had celeriac chips!!! But not doing the whole keto way just yet.
    Just a quick update...since I've been on hrt I feel so much better in myself and touch wood no migraines :T Its the best thing I could have done but not everyone's choice,i tried the natural remedy route but nothing helped. I'm also trying to cut right down on my sugar intake which is tough as I love chocolate.

Good luck and hope you stay migraine free:)
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jojo, I have tried two of those pillows to no avail. One was really expensive too. I was so hopeful as I know I sleep in a position that isn't great for my neck. So hard to make myself sleep in a different position though!

Vodaka chick. Wow that the hrt is working. Not sure its for me but will keep an open mind.

I gave up all sugar including fructose for a year. Unfortunately succumbed to a glass of fruit juice then totally crumbled. During that year, I did feel better. They told me once that keeping blood sugar steady could help so I suppose avoiding sugar does that.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I started getting migraines about 12 years ago when I was 50. My GP thinks they are probably hormone related.

They were horrendous. I would get at least 1 a month and would be in bed in a dark room literally unable to even sit up for 2 to 3 days. I couldn't keep even a sip of water down so unable to take any painkillers and, despite having no food or water, would vomit about every 20 minutes. Most times a doctor would have to come out to give me an injection to stop me being sick.

Of course I would be dehydrated so that didn't help. For at least the next day, if not longer, I would feel terrible.

My GP tried a few medications, none of which made the slightest difference and then put me on propranolol and pizotifen which, thankfully, most of the time keep migraines at bay. I have though put on a lot of weight which my GP says can be a side effect.

I suffered them very badly for almost 3 years in which time I had to give up work. I never had any sympathy from my Manager. In fact she told me other people came to work with migraines so she couldn't see why I couldn't! I even got warnings because my husband phoned up when I was off. I honestly could not speak because if I opened my mouth I vomited so how could I phone?

Thankfully I haven't had one that bad for about 2 years but I still get migraines. One of the first signs is yawning practically non stop. Also my husband notices I am slurring my words.

The pain is not as bad as it was but still bad enough. The pain runs from the top of my head, down and around my eye socket, down the side of my face, into my ear and down my neck. I feel sick and yet want to yet literally all the time. I can't concentrate on anything. I can't tolerate any bright light especially sunlight or noise. I find my brain just does not work properly. Last week I had one and I could not remember how to use email!

I also find they affect my sense of taste. Everything tastes weird or horrible. I love my cups of tea but with a migraine they taste awful. I also get really hot and sweat terribly.

I don't really like taking the medication all the time especially because of the weight gain but don't want the really bad migraines back again.

Mine don't seem to be triggered by anything in particular. I kept detailed diaries on everything from the food I ate, what I drunk, the weather, how much sleep I had and there was no pattern at all.

I don't really drink alcohol any more although I don't think it is a trigger for me.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • aileenbo
    aileenbo Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I take a lot of medication for other health problems. Therefore I can't take meds that might help such as Ibuprofen,Aspirin,Triptans etc and even magnesium interacts (although I started taking that enough hours after my other medication to avoid interactions after reading this thread. I managed to thwart one migraine I was due so far :) ).

I'm on the combined pill which I don't think helps, but I take that to help with another health condition. It sounds like I'm falling apart lol.

I'm really here to steal tips! But I have one tip myself: you know those wee menthol twist up sticks? you can get them in pound shops now. I put them on my forehead and it helps a little bit. I've even heard of people using vicks vapo-rub. If it helps it's worth trying.

Being sick is the worst part of a migraine. I sometimes think I could soldier on if I didn't have to stop every 10 minutes for a casual spew!

My current migraine regime is two Migraleve (the one with the anti sickness component) , two propranolol, my trusty menthol stick and my bed.
  • JennyP
    Options
    aileenbo wrote: »
    I take a lot of medication for other health problems. Therefore I can't take meds that might help such as Ibuprofen,Aspirin,Triptans etc and even magnesium interacts (although I started taking that enough hours after my other medication to avoid interactions after reading this thread. I managed to thwart one migraine I was due so far :) ).

I'm on the combined pill which I don't think helps, but I take that to help with another health condition. It sounds like I'm falling apart lol.

I'm really here to steal tips! But I have one tip myself: you know those wee menthol twist up sticks? you can get them in pound shops now. I put them on my forehead and it helps a little bit. I've even heard of people using vicks vapo-rub. If it helps it's worth trying.

Being sick is the worst part of a migraine. I sometimes think I could soldier on if I didn't have to stop every 10 minutes for a casual spew!

My current migraine regime is two Migraleve (the one with the anti sickness component) , two propranolol, my trusty menthol stick and my bed.

Tiger Balm works too. And am having quite a bit of relief from my home made version with lavendar and peppermint oils.
  • JennyP
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    I started getting migraines about 12 years ago when I was 50. My GP thinks they are probably hormone related.

They were horrendous. I would get at least 1 a month and would be in bed in a dark room literally unable to even sit up for 2 to 3 days. I couldn't keep even a sip of water down so unable to take any painkillers and, despite having no food or water, would vomit about every 20 minutes. Most times a doctor would have to come out to give me an injection to stop me being sick.

Of course I would be dehydrated so that didn't help. For at least the next day, if not longer, I would feel terrible.

My GP tried a few medications, none of which made the slightest difference and then put me on propranolol and pizotifen which, thankfully, most of the time keep migraines at bay. I have though put on a lot of weight which my GP says can be a side effect.

I suffered them very badly for almost 3 years in which time I had to give up work. I never had any sympathy from my Manager. In fact she told me other people came to work with migraines so she couldn't see why I couldn't! I even got warnings because my husband phoned up when I was off. I honestly could not speak because if I opened my mouth I vomited so how could I phone?

Thankfully I haven't had one that bad for about 2 years but I still get migraines. One of the first signs is yawning practically non stop. Also my husband notices I am slurring my words.

The pain is not as bad as it was but still bad enough. The pain runs from the top of my head, down and around my eye socket, down the side of my face, into my ear and down my neck. I feel sick and yet want to yet literally all the time. I can't concentrate on anything. I can't tolerate any bright light especially sunlight or noise. I find my brain just does not work properly. Last week I had one and I could not remember how to use email!

I also find they affect my sense of taste. Everything tastes weird or horrible. I love my cups of tea but with a migraine they taste awful. I also get really hot and sweat terribly.

I don't really like taking the medication all the time especially because of the weight gain but don't want the really bad migraines back again.

Mine don't seem to be triggered by anything in particular. I kept detailed diaries on everything from the food I ate, what I drunk, the weather, how much sleep I had and there was no pattern at all.

I don't really drink alcohol any more although I don't think it is a trigger for me.

Mine are like that. Fortunately I have now married a retired GP and we keep the injections at home.

My boss was also unsympathetic and I also gave up work. I so relate to the story of not being well enough to ring in myself then the boss demanding to know why I hadn't called.

Nightmare.

Sorry to hear of your suffering though I take a little bit of comfort knowing I'm not the only one .
  • Iamadored
    Iamadored Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    My non-medicinal treatment options are a single coffee or can of (diet) coke. I guess it is the caffeine that helps.

My migraines were never period-related, so this may not apply to hormonal migraines but, for what it's worth, mine were caused by caffeine withdrawal.

I was in the habit of drinking a lot of tea and coffee on weekdays at work, but none at weekends. The result was a migraine every weekend.

It took me a long time to make the connection; but, when I did, I gave up caffeine, and have not had a migraine since (over a year).
  • Kris35
    Kris35 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I'm on s mission to spread the word. I've had debilitating headaches for almost 30 years. Tried absolutely every. Drugs, water, diet etc. I've had tests and an operation. 

Read up on Aspartame and migraines. Because since I've taken that chemical off my consumption list... mainly in the form of diet coke, I've not had a headache and it's totally changed my life.
    I'm still looking into it.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Kris35 said:
    I know this is an old thread but I'm on s mission to spread the word. I've had debilitating headaches for almost 30 years. Tried absolutely every. Drugs, water, diet etc. I've had tests and an operation. 

Read up on Aspartame and migraines. Because since I've taken that chemical off my consumption list... mainly in the form of diet coke, I've not had a headache and it's totally changed my life.
    I'm still looking into it.
    It was probably the caffeine, there's no strong evidence of aspartame causing headaches, plenty of evidence that caffeine withdrawal does. 

https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/research-casts-doubt-on-aspartame-sensitivity/
  • Kris35
    Kris35 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No that's not correct. People need to read up on Aspartame and headaches. There's lots of information out there which says there is a link. I still drink coffee and no headache. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback