2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• lindez
    lindez Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great question how much gloop is used per wash. I will try and make some thank you
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
  • lindez
    Options
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    Laundry 'gloop' - the above, once dissolved, gets watered down to between 5 and 7 litres, depending on how you want to store it, but use a wide mouth tub or a bucket as it can set.
    how much do you use in a wash please, and how do i dilute it thank you so much
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    lindez, I use about a tablespoon, plus a little more to 'scrunge' onto a tough stain a few mins before running the load.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • CosmicZebra
    Options
    Frankie M- I use almond oil from H&B. Tiny amount from mid to end, then put shampoo on then rinse. My hairdresser recommended it instead of Pantene and it's sorted my head-straw problems. V cheap- one bottle lasts a year!
    Savings from frugal & simple living:
    Jan ISA& Save Acc £1600 Mort o/paid £250
    Feb ISA&save acc £1330.89 Mort o/paid£500
    March ISA&save ac£811.35 mort o/paid £250
    :j
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    Just delurking to ask DawnW how far apart to put the Olbas oil teabags?

I don't measure to be honest, just scatter them about a bit - they don't really cost anything, but they aren't particularly attractive either....
  • lindez
    Options
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    lindez, I use about a tablespoon, plus a little more to 'scrunge' onto a tough stain a few mins before running the load.
    Thank you Stoozie1
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    OMG this thread has descended into washing tips
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mbmonty wrote: »
    OMG this thread has descended into washing tips
    whats wrong with that?
  • mbmonty
    First Anniversary
    Options
    FrankieM wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide whether it's time to turn the heating off yet? Has anyone made the big decision?

If you are really into this Frugal thing then you have missed the boat on the heating.

The idea is to make having the heating on to be the exception rather than the norm.

I have mine off all the time, I have only put it on when the snow was at it's worst and that is because all of the connected buildings were frozen solid.

I worked out that if we get sun outside it warms the building and I get heat if I make sure curtains are open when sunny and close them when it gets below 5 degrees outside.

For your other half I suggest a small blanket, I got mine from an airline (no I did not pinch it)

I open the oven when finished cooking and that is all I have needed this winter except for the heavy snow days.

If you really want to embrace this frugal thing you have to be prepared for lifestyle changes, for example I comply with the conditions for requirements to not have a TV licence.

I also set my internet service annual budget to £65 (the lowest I found previously available on MSE) so when there is not an offer I do not have internet via an ISP, I use a free service.

The most important phrase is "It is not forever"
  • mbmonty
    First Anniversary
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    Re shampoo, I use Boots coconut shampoo and conditioner. It was on a money saving program and was said to be as good as the premium brand person had been using. At 90p a bottle (less with discount for having contacts) it is definitely saving me fortune.

I do not have any allergies so I am able to use the cheapest of the cheap out there.

My previous low was one at Aldi at 35p for shampoo and the same for conditioner, it came in Coconut, Berry and Tea Tree. They recently stopped stocking it except in Belfast. However, I found the same stuff at Lidl for 49p.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure