Switching from OVO with smart meter

Options
Anybody successfully switched from OVO with a smart meter and not had it go dumb?

My 2yr fixed tariff comes to an end shortly and OVO's renewal pricing is 25% more than many others on the cheap energy club so it's cray not to switch.

However.....many suppliers are saying my SMET1 smart meter will go dumb until early/mid 2020. I find the smart meter very handy as I don't need to take meter readings, so would rather not lose this.

Part of me wonders whether this is playing into energy companies hands....they hope people will value the smart meter and will be deterred from switching so see it OK to jack up the price.

Has anyone found a supplier that will still be able to use OVO smart meter functions?

According to OVO website: Avid Energy, Co-Operative, E, Economy Energy, Ecotricity, E.ON, First Utility, Flow Energy, Our Power Energy Supply Ltd, Spark Energy, Utility Warehouse and Utilita are compatible.

Economy Energy are now bust and taken over by OVO
Flow are now Co-Op and look seem to be Octopus
It's starting to look like there aren't many options left.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/leaving-ovo#which-energy-suppliers-are-compatible-with-ovo-smart-products

Comments

• We have had "claims " on here in the past that the Ovo Secure Liberty smart meter will continue to work smart with other suppliers who use the same Secure Liberty meter but so far no one appears to have validated this claim.
    No one has made it known on here as of yet that smart switching has been made available neither AFAIK . The DCC is run by Capita !.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 September 2019 at 5:30PM
    Options
    When we moved from OVO I asked EON about compatibility with their systems and got this answer

'I can't give a guarantee that your smart meters will continue to work as smart following a switch to us. Secure Liberty meters are among the makes we've used in the past and I suspect there's a good chance they'll continue as smart once you transfer to us. There could be circumstances that might stop this and we wouldn't be aware of these until we have control of the meter following the switch.

Later this year, we're starting to update SMETS1 meters so they can be managed in the same way as SMETS2. At this point, any smart features that might've been lost will be restored. This is done remotely and we won't need to visit your home. It also covers smart meters we didn't install and now supply.

We're looking to start upgrading most of our earlier SMETS1 smart meters to SMETS2 later this year. We're currently in the middle of a trial. These updates will be done remotely and will mean SMETS1 meters can be managed in the same way as SMETS2 including being able to send us readings automatically.

As well as upgrading the SMETS1 meters we installed, we're also doing the same with meters installed by other suppliers and where the customer has switched to us.

There will be some early smart meter installations (mainly from 2014 and before) where an upgrade won't be possible. In these cases, we'll offer customers new SMETS2 meters'

I have been with EON for four months now and our smart meters are still dumb!

....so clearly the OVO website is not exactly telling the truth about compatibly of their smart meters with EON.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    I moved from Ovo to Economy Energy (now defunct) and then to Octopus. The meter has worked continuously. Octopus is a good bet.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My meter has been dumb since I moved from British Gas, to Bristol Energy, to First Utility to.... (you get the idea). It makes no difference to me at all, because I would always want to double check my meter readings anyway....just saying.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • PennineAcute
    Options
    OVO prepay (now rebranded as Boost Energy) customers, who have their smart meters installed, have had no issues in moving to other companies. Utilita, EON to name two.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ovo installed my Secure Liberty 100 in 2014. I moved to GB Energy in 2016, then Iresa/Octopus/Eversmart and now Symbio and it has remained dumb ever since leaving Ovo.
  • I moved from Ovo to Economy Energy (now defunct) and then to Octopus. The meter has worked continuously. Octopus is a good bet.
    Yes the meter is a meter and will work with any supplier. I think the question posed was will it work smart ? that is that the new supplier get automatic readings from the smart meter..Smart switching doe sn t seem to be available yet AFIK
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    Terry98 wrote: »
    When we moved from OVO I asked EON about compatibility with their systems and got this answer

'I can't give a guarantee that your smart meters will continue to work as smart following a switch to us. Secure Liberty meters are among the makes we've used in the past and I suspect there's a good chance they'll continue as smart once you transfer to us. There could be circumstances that might stop this and we wouldn't be aware of these until we have control of the meter following the switch.

Later this year, we're starting to update SMETS1 meters so they can be managed in the same way as SMETS2. At this point, any smart features that might've been lost will be restored. This is done remotely and we won't need to visit your home. It also covers smart meters we didn't install and now supply.

We're looking to start upgrading most of our earlier SMETS1 smart meters to SMETS2 later this year. We're currently in the middle of a trial. These updates will be done remotely and will mean SMETS1 meters can be managed in the same way as SMETS2 including being able to send us readings automatically.

As well as upgrading the SMETS1 meters we installed, we're also doing the same with meters installed by other suppliers and where the customer has switched to us.

There will be some early smart meter installations (mainly from 2014 and before) where an upgrade won't be possible. In these cases, we'll offer customers new SMETS2 meters'

I have been with EON for four months now and oue smart meters are still dumb!

....so clearly the OVO website is not exactly telling the truth about compatibly of their smart meters with EON.

Hello Terry98 and following on from our previous communication quoted above.

Just a quick update about our plans to remotely upgrade SMETS1 meters so they're managed in the same way as SMETS2. We're looking to start this work in the last quarter of this year.

There are many factors to consider in deciding when smart meters become eligible for an upgrade and so it's not possible to say when this will happen for specific customers.

We'll contact customers whose smart meters were fitted by another supplier and have since joined us once the update has been done. This includes those who had a SMETS1 meter fitted by us, changed supplier afterwards and have since re-joined us.

Those with SMETS1 meters installed by us and who have been continuously supplied by us since won't see any difference. As such, we won't be contacting them once their smart meters have been upgraded.

It sounds like you fall in the first group above Terry98. Consequently, we'll be in touch to let you know once your smart meters have been upgraded.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Just a quick update about our plans to remotely upgrade SMETS1 meters so they're managed in the same way as SMETS2. We're looking to start this work in the last quarter of this year.

Malc, with your insider's hat on ,are you aware of ANY successful upgrades/adoptions into DCC on a larger scale? It seems to me that the positive Press releases from the Spring have not been updated which suggests (to me anyway :)) that small scale trials are still ongoing - I certainly haven't seen anyone on these fora claim that their dumb meters have started communicating again!:(
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

It sounds like you fall in the first group above Terry98. Consequently, we'll be in touch to let you know once your smart meters have been upgraded.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc

Many thanks for the info Malc. You deserve a medal for communication:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills