PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I made such a nice HM soup the other day. I used a bag of frozen aubergine, peppers and courgettes with a red onion, a carrot, veg bouillon, passata, Italian seasoning and chilli powder. I blended it all up at the end.

It tasted better than the soup I had in a vegan restaurant recently. I think it was the aubergine as I don't usually put that in soup. I will in future.:A

babs_103 wrote: »
    Hi, My DD is coming to us for Christmas Day whoo hoo!!!!!

She is a vegetarian going on vegan, I have seen lots of nice mains for our dinner but they all contain mushrooms which she is dangerously allergic to.

Can anyone please help me out, I know I could get a nut roast but that does not sound festive enough.

Many thanks xx:D

I saw that Asda have a lot of vegan Christmas and party food coming out this month. You would have to check if any of them contain mushrooms, though.:)
  • sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 November 2019 at 3:19PM
    Options
    I hate mushrooms, so made this recipe replacing the mushrooms with sweet potato or butternut squash that had been diced. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/dec/17/features.weekend4

Serve it with sage and onion stuffing and the usual veg, and you've got a very filling and impressive meal. I found the encroute very rich, so in subsequent years, I made them into individual little pasty type parcels and cooked just one portion at a time (it freezes well too)
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • babs_103
    babs_103 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies, I've sent DD the links and will be making squirrels girls recipe for myself because it sounds lush. I'll leave the final decision to her but I must say it all sounds so good. Thank you xx
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

Illegitimi non carborundum

GNU Terry Pratchett

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aldi do some root veg and cranberry pastry crowns in case you want something easy, they look nice and not too pricey.

I made a huge batch of curry today - used up chickpeas, coconut milk, carrots, courgette, mushroom and spinach in the process so am happy with that. Now have a big dish that will feed all 3 of us as well as 4 individual portions in the freezer.
    Going to attempt to make some pizzas and cottage pie tomorrow but will see how that goes. I have a big bag of pizza base mix that I got on yellow sticker ages ago, so will use that and whatever veg ends I find in the fridge.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I just heard on the radio that the Greggs chief executive Roger Whiteside has announced he is a vegan after watching Netflix documentary The Game Changers. :T:T:T

My husband loves the vegan sausage rolls there. I do too. Hopefully this means there will a lot of new vegan products there.

I'm recreating the Tesco cauliflower bites today with cauliflower florets in a tempura batter and a spicy dipping sauce.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've made some more inroads on batch cooking - have frozen two big cottage pie bottoms (with green lentils, to be topped with mash when we defrost) and some pinto bean and mushroom stew with pearl barley.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    I just heard on the radio that the Greggs chief executive Roger Whiteside has announced he is a vegan

Yes, bizarre isn't it...... a man who who runs a company that profits from killing 100's of thousands if not millions of animals a year is claiming to be vegan! Worth noting is he's given an order to stockpile pork in the event of a no deal Brexit. Profit seems more important to him than the vegan principle of not killjng animals it seems? Also talking of animals don't Greggs use at least some Halal meat? You know the animal isnt stunned before having is throat slit so it's fully conscious during the 'process' Again doesn't seem very vegan to me.

If he were to stand down then go vegan he might have some credibility but until then I think he needs to shut up.

#hypocrite
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I'm going to make spaghetti tonight with a HM tomato and black olive sauce and some wilted spinach on top.
    Yes, bizarre isn't it...... a man who who runs a company that profits from killing 100's of thousands if not millions of animals a year is claiming to be vegan! Worth noting is he's given an order to stockpile pork in the event of a no deal Brexit. Profit seems more important to him than the vegan principle of not killjng animals it seems? Also talking of animals don't Greggs use at least some Halal meat? You know the animal isnt stunned before having is throat slit so it's fully conscious during the 'process' Again doesn't seem very vegan to me.

If he were to stand down then go vegan he might have some credibility but until then I think he needs to shut up.

#hypocrite

I was reading about the Netflix documentary he said influenced him and it primarily looks like it is concentrating on the health benefits of plant based eating.
  • I've spent my budget this week :eek:
    I'm on a mini detox- (hm organic juice for brekkie and supplements); grains, pulses and salads for lunch and dinner.
    I've made a grapefruit and orange salad; a papaya and mango salad; and a pomegranate, date, cucumber and chocolate mint salad. I have also made a tomato chutney; puy lentils and quinoa and some houmous. I have giant chick peas soaking that I will cook today.

Fresh veg and fruit wise, I have celeriac, carrots, long stem broccoli, avocado, walnuts, oranges, pomegranates, melon, onions, garlic and potatoes.

For lunch today I will have some quinoa and lentils with houmous and pomegranate and date salad. For dinner, I will have chickpea burgers with tomato chutney, garlic crushed potatoes, papaya and mango salsa with roasted onions

Tomorrow I'll have ramen for lunch, then for dinner I will have sushi and a selection of the salads

Wednesday lunch will be leftover sushi ;) for dinner I'm having steamed long-stemmed broccoli, celeriac and carrot batons pan-fried with walnuts, orange, dijon mustard and maple dressing served on a bed of buckwheat tossed with sage infused avocado oil, the remaining salads and a sliced avocado.

Thursday will be bloomed wild rice salad; melon, pomegranate, date and orange salad plus a sliced avocado for lunch; dinner will be a chickpea and potato curry with the rest of the tomato chutney, the remaining buckwheat, cucumber raita and Toor daal

Friday lunch will be curry leftovers with a carrot and dill salad; dinner will be chickpeas with apricots, harissa and a caper, lemon and thyme dressing served on a bed of shortgrain brown rice with back olives and caramelised walnuts.

Saturday will be veggie soup made from any veg left in the fridge and dinner will be a hm pizza served on a 'raw' pizza crust.

Sunday, it's back to the shop and meal planning ;)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I made spag bol yesterday with veggie mince.

I'm trying to eat down my fridge, freezer and cupboards this week. I've only ordered loo rolls and cloths etc... for the week and I don't want to buy any more food.
    dinner will be a hm pizza served on a 'raw' pizza crust.

Have you got a recipe for that?

You eat really interesting meals compared to me.:o:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport