Three- being charged for handset I returned

Options
hazzypants
hazzypants Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 16 August 2019 at 12:48PM in Mobiles
I have been a three customer for over 10 years.

I upgraded in July, but changed my mind. Didn't use the handset at all, and sent it back as requested, in one of their royal mail pre paid bags.

My tracking number from royal mail shows it arrived on 16th July at their depot.

Three have added a charge to my account for £900 as the 'phone has not been returned'.

I have been on the phone to them 11 times now, as the complaints department investigate. After ages of claiming I had not sent it int he first place (despite me having proof of tracking), they now admit they received the bag, but the bag was empty, and need to investigate where in the warehouse it ended up. Until they find it, my charge will remain. Are they right to keep the charge? I feel this is very unfair- if they have lost it, that is their fault, not mine?

What can I do?? Help please!! It looks like the phone has been stolen/ gone missing... if it doesn't turn up, are they within their rights to charge me???

On advice on someone from three I have cencelled my direct debit to stop a £900 charge coming out of my account next week.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds familiar

Does anyone have any experience with returning a contract and handset to Three for a refund? - a recent thread.

Any indication of the weight in the RM receipt?
  • hazzypants
    Options
    Yes the receipt say 456 g as weight of package.

Do you think they have the right to charge me? I feel this is unfair. Any advice as to what I can do to get them to drop the charge?
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    You used one of their envelopes, have proof the phone was sent (weight) and proof they received the envelope if not the phone. You complied with the t&c of return and since they paid the postage it's up to them to take it up with RoyalMail. I'd put that in writing and say you aren't prepared to pay for a phone which was lost by their agent and not you. I'd also register it as a formal complaint that they have told you they intend to charge you for their error and responsibility.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hazzypants wrote: »
    Yes the receipt say 456 g as weight of package.

Do you think they have the right to charge me? I feel this is unfair. Any advice as to what I can do to get them to drop the charge?

Make a digital copy of the receipt (using your phone is easiest) and write an email to David.dyson at three.co.uk detailing all the facts and attach the image to your email.

Someone from the executive office will get back to you and is more capable of resolving serious issues than customer services.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport