beach holiday NOT in euro - emphasis on cheap! Romania? Moldova?

Options
2»

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great VFM in Romania.....but give the beaches a miss and travel round Transylvania by train.
  • spencer999
    spencer999 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    settled on Morocco. Will report back if I get back in one piece
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Great VFM in Romania.....but give the beaches a miss and travel round Transylvania by train.
    Romania is fab, lovely people, inexpensive, loads to see, great food, a Romance language using Roman alphabet rather than Slavic/Cyrillic so it's a lot easier to understand than other Eastern European languages if you understand a bit of French/Italian.

I expected to see a run down country with loads of poverty from what I'd seen and heard, but it was nothing like that at all.

If you saw the interview with Simona Halep after she won Wimbledon - that's what the people I met were like.
  • zagfles
    Options
    spencer999 wrote: »
    Tip - always have a few low denomination notes with you - you will get hassled in touristy places eg Kasbahs with people wanting to give you a guided tour and not understanding la (no), sometimes it's easier to let them do it and give them 10 dirhams or so (less than £1), they seem to be happy with that sort of amount.
    Most cashpoints charge a flat charge of around 15-30 (£1-3), so taking out larger amounts is usually better eg 2000
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    sometimes it's easier to let them do it and give them 10 dirhams or so (less than £1), they seem to be happy with that sort of amount.

I found that shouting "NO" loudly enough for the tourist police to hear seemed to work for me. Another reason I will never go back to Morocco.
  • zagfles
    Options
    I found that shouting "NO" loudly enough for the tourist police to hear seemed to work for me. Another reason I will never go back to Morocco.
    TBH I didn't find it as bad as the timeshare touts in places like the Canaries, they really were scum after your life savings, not just a couple of £.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Strange: I found that a polite but firm 'shokran' (thank you) always did the trick.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spencer999 wrote: »

Which beach resort?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure