Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

beach holiday NOT in euro - emphasis on cheap! Romania? Moldova?

New Post Advanced Search

beach holiday NOT in euro - emphasis on cheap! Romania? Moldova?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
18 replies 1.8K views
spencer999spencer999 Forumite
78 posts
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
Hiya folks, looking for an ultra cheap holiday somewhere that's:
not too far
NOT in the euro
got a beach
warm
not Turkey (for reasons I am happy to discuss elsewhere)

happy to consider unusual places with raggedy paper currency

My OH works in a bureau de change and she says Croatia is top of the charts and not cheap at all,

Estonia isn't cheap I hear and difficult for me to fly to anyway

What about Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova, Montenegro, anyone got an idea on how cheap or how awful their resorts are?
OR is there a guide you recommend where I can do my own research so you don't think I'm just being lazy

THANKYOUPLEASE

Replies

• Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your list of possibilities should also include Tunisia, Morocco and Egypt.

And then there is the coastal city of Batumi in Georgia: flights to Georgia (Kutaisi) from Luton are very cheap and about three hours, and costs once you are there are very low. I did not get anywhere near Batumi but loved Georgia.

Another very cheap country with a coast on the Black Sea is Ukraine: it is now served by Ryanair.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    United Kingdom
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Toucan_toucanToucan_toucan Forumite
    39 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    My friends went to Bulgaria last year (the inevitable Sunny Beach) and loved it so much they're going back this year. They usually go to Turkey.

Croatia is beautiful and cheaper than here but not as cheap as you'd hope. Lots of the resorts tend to be half board though, so even if they look expensive you're often getting meals included.
  • Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Balkan Holidays appear to have a lot of cheap holidays available in the next few weeks, it won't be sophisticated but it will be hot. Bulgaria is on my list of 'never again' destinations but clearly, a lot of people love it.
  • jimbo6977jimbo6977 Forumite
    640 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Bulgarian Lev is pegged to the Euro so the exchange rate issue applies just the same.

Fly to Gdansk and go to one of the Polish sea resorts. Weather normally hot this time of year but the sea is the Baltic so not nearly as warm as the Med.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morocco? We got a really good AI in Agadir for around £400pp for a week and that was in the school holidays (Easter). Otherwise eastern Europe is cheap if you sort it yourself but packages seem a bit expensive relatively.
  • TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    richardw wrote: »
    United Kingdom

It's got some terrible reviews!
  • misscomickatmisscomickat Forumite
    559 posts
    I went to Sunny Beach last year and thought it was awful, and not especially cheap either.
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    We drove past most of the Bulgarian resorts on a road trip last year. They were all fairly horrible. Avoid!

There are still cheap parts of Greece if you can try to stick to where the Greeks go.
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    richardw wrote: »
    United Kingdom

Nah.

Too expensive, and they don't like foreigners. There is some strange new religion that makes people rude and aggressive: I think it is called Brexit. Seems like a variant of Islamic fundamentalism.