firewood fund

Options
one of my daughters works in business partner development (called it sales back when i worked in an office)and from time to time sends me companies she's found that she thinks ill like

She sent me this one the other week and i was wondering if anyone has heard of them

firewood fund you can find it on google

there are 2 things that i believe in paying a bit more for one of them is wine and the other is good quality firewood goes back to my dad who used to work in a timber yard

ive signed up and the idea is t pay monthly until you need wine delivered - we always use our woodburner in the winter,so i like the idea of saving up until we need it

anyone else been tempted by this?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    anyone else been tempted by this?

Well.... Looked at their T&Cs....
    On termination of subscription, we will refund your money saved to date only (minus 5% to cover transaction charges incurred).

OUCH :eek:

Their prices are also quite steep, so no, I'm not even the slightest bit tempted. I save a bit each week via payroll deductions that goes in to a Credit Union account. It pays interest, the money is protected by the FSCS, and there are no admin fees if/when I want to make a withdrawal. It also gives me the opportunity to shop around for firewood and get it at a much better price.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • alankershaw66
    Options
    have to admit hadnt seen that my fault for glossing over small print having said that if theyre a growing business i can see why thatd be the case
  • alankershaw66
    Options
    FreeBear do you have the link to the ts and cs page? struggling to find it but thats probably user error than site error
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Terms and conditions...

https://firewoodfund.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/

I'm not all tempted either.
  • alankershaw66
    Options
    thanks gloomendoom - ill be placing an order either this weekend or next week so the proof as they say will be in the pudding

i'll let you all know my thoughts

hoping this will be a good solution
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looking at their prices, I'd rather just buy a truckload of wood at half that price.

When I bought wood in bulk, I found it better to buy in the spring, then shove it in the log store for another summer's seasoning.

These days, i mostly scrounge the wood, and buy in small quantities to top up if needed.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • alankershaw66
    Options
    where do you get your wood from, out of interest? i use a couple of logburners rather than an open fire
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In the past, it was just firms that advertise in the local papers. They would come round with a pick-up truck or trailer filled with logs, for about £70. The quantity was a bit vague, but must have been around 1 cubic metre. It's always sold as seasoned, but an extra summer in the log store seems to help it burn.

These days, most of my wood is scrounged. I do a lot of voluntary work at local nature reserves, and this is the time of year when we're often cutting down trees where they are not wanted. If I'm lucky, the work site will be within easy carrying distance to the car. The down-side is that I have to saw all the logs to the right lengths myself, split them if necessary and store them for 2 years.

If it ever looks like I'm running out of logs, I'll buy a boot-load of firewood from https://morghew.com/shop/honesty-stall/
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most of my wood is scrounged,and I have landscaper/gardener/builder contacts who drop waste ( which they charge for) and it works.I am multi fuel ( this is our primary heating),and going back to the OP ,I have a coal fund.I chuck a fiver a week into a tin in the workshop,and when the coalman delivers,I pay him cash.Done!
  • Greenfires
    Options
    Not a chance! £175 for a tad over a cube?!! And I have no idea why they say their wood is drier than seasoned wood. Kiln driers work to an average of 20%, which in many good drying years will be beaten by naturally seasoned wood. Just one more example of KD wood being flogged as the best you can buy - it ain't. If you have the money for a truckload, you can have a container full shipped from eastern Europe (which is stacked tighter than a really tight thing - not just thrown in a bulk bag) for much less per cube.
    Maybe I should start flogging my wood instead of burning it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure