The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    2/25
    More of these to follow.

I like Bridget jones Cupptea but I'm not half as posh.
    BUT I think it's very interesting all the talk of middle class drinking. We are definately fed the mantra of successful hard working people drink wine in the evening after being at work and all houses must have wine.

I never thought about these things till recently. Also a colleague is trying to cut back/drink less and is getting enormous grief Over it. Somehow people think they have every right to tell you what you should put in your mouth and body. It is quite upsetting really. So far she has stood her ground but I just don't really get how people get so involved in pressuring people to drink. I don't think they even engage their brains. I think people automatically go into pressure mode without and rhyme or reason.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Wanna_Bee_Free Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2017 at 6:54AM
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    How did it go, WBF?

The lure of free wine in the sunshine was too tempting so I joined in. Had a lovely evening but staggered home somewhat the worse for wear. Not a good look I'm sure.

I went out last night but that was a planned drinking day. Two in a row wasn't ideal but drank less and ate more so all good. Time spent with a very dear old friend who I don't see often enough.

Checking in early with tonight planned as my third AFD in July.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Making sure I manage my Mon-Thurs this week by declaring early for tonight - that will take me to 4/12 please Shaggy - will be drinking Fri-Sat-Sun but will keep it to a reasonable amount ;)
  • WJN222
    WJN222 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    morning all - well I'm sad to say I did not manage AF last night. However I am determined to draw a ine under it and not let it derail me!
    There is a lovely saying over on the SW thread about a bad day - it has stuck with me and hope it might help someone here too - You wouldn't slash all your tyres - when you have slipped up/not met today it doesn't mean its all been for nothing - after all if you went out in the morning and found that you had a slashed tyre on your car - you wouldn't slash all the ohter tyres would you :)
    walk 2018 miles in 2018 - 781 of 2018
    Save £5 for every PR: 10 of 35
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Quite right WJN222 but somehow in the heat of the moment finishing the cake / bar of chocolate / bottle of wine seems to be an almost pragmatic solution to the situation.

I didn't think you'd be able to resist completely, WBF - the way you put it sort of suggested you really weren't looking forward to an evening of abstinence!
    cathybird wrote: »
    Honey Bear, the odd thing is that I did that long ago, many years ago, and I'm not saying changes didn't result from it then and gradually since, but it was the more recent decision to cut the weekend bottle of wine from four weekends a month to two that resulted in no bottles of wine per month and almost no alcohol at all. Which was not the result I was expecting!

I'm pretty sure there are two things going on with alcohol, and very few people think about them as distinct from each other which isn't actually that helpful. There's the habit, and then there's addiction. If we're drinking every day it's definitely a habit, but it would be very difficult for anyone other than the person doing the quaffing to know whether anyone else is addicted.

Breaking a habit is much more straightforward than dealing with addiction. The earlier the habit is tackled, the better, obviously. However, like you, I knew for years and years I should do something about my drinking before I actually made any changes. Sometimes we just need that lead-in time for it to work. Brilliant of you!
    BUT I think it's very interesting all the talk of middle class drinking. We are definately fed the mantra of successful hard working people drink wine in the evening after being at work and all houses must have wine.

I never thought about these things till recently. Also a colleague is trying to cut back/drink less and is getting enormous grief Over it. Somehow people think they have every right to tell you what you should put in your mouth and body. It is quite upsetting really. So far she has stood her ground but I just don't really get how people get so involved in pressuring people to drink. I don't think they even engage their brains. I think people automatically go into pressure mode without and rhyme or reason.

I've posted about that mantra several times, PSL - how we've normalised drinking alcohol as being a necessary ingredient to celebrate anything, as a reward at the end of a the working day, as the only way to enjoy ourselves with or without company. It's taken a long time, decades, but the booze companies have done it very successfully. They take the profits but they're not the ones picking up the tab for it - the police and the health service are, in other words, taxpayers - us.

As to the way your colleague is being treated - Gggggrrrrrrrr. How disrespectful is that? I've got every sympathy for the bullying that is going on, and it is bullying, I'm afraid. Only two people I knew were tricky when I stopped drinking, all of my friends were 100% supportive and lovely. The two people who made comments weren't particularly close to me and I lost all my respect for them because it was none of their business what I drank or ate, and they were extremely rude to make any comment about it. Your colleague will either find a way of deflecting i as I did with those two people, or cave in to the pressure, which would be very sad but either way - he or she should avoid those people because they're bullies.

6/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Welcome back Maman. Is full fat tonic more gassy and therefore more bloatworthy than slimmers?

Not sure HB but I have to blame something!:rotfl:

I'm easing myself gently back into RL after my holiday rather than go cold turkey. Out to eat yesterday and today but only moderate drinking. Monday I'm back to 'normal'.:)
  • ElusiveLucy
    ElusiveLucy Posts: 686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    4/13 for last night please - that's 4d in a row :rotfl:

Feeling better now but going to try and hold off tonight. Just found out I have a minor op next week so have to stay AF Mon-Wed at least.
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Evening all, 6/21 for me please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • smiley_77
    smiley_77 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    5/30for today. Posting to avoid a banana skin!
    Do I really need it? Probably not.:A
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Poor_Single_lady Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    3/25

Hoping to go straight through the weekend into next week.

HB it is bullying. There is a lot of it where I work. But it's a very middle class office so unfortunately everyone is programmed to think this way and the office culture fuels this so it just goes round and round.
    The only acceptable reason seems to be driving. Even medication and child care will not be viewed as valid. It's actually quite terrible when I think about it.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills