Single DFW

Options

Comments

• Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So September was a great month for me on the debt busting front as I finally received my back dated payrise and also had a nice chunk of overtime on top of that.

This has meant that I was able to clear £2750 off my debt and go below 10.5k. I am now on track to get below 9k by the end of the year.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• Nessa56
    Nessa56 Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Well done you
    :T:T:T

V
    X
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue :staradmin :T:T
  • Muhren
    Options
    So October was another great month, my last bit of over time was paid and I also didn't spend that much this month either. I am now below 9k, which what I was aiming for at the end of the year. I do have some expense coming up between now and then though, my car needs its main service this month and also needs taxing at the end of the year.

I came home to an envolope from a solicitor, I was intially a little worried as to what it was. I opened it and the first thing I saw was a cheque but couldn't think of what it could be for, I then saw the amount and was in a little bit of shocker and thought it must be a scam. I then started to read the letter and it all became clear. It was from the solicitor dealing with my great aunt's estate after she passed away earlier on in the year. It still took a little while to sink in but I have been left £5000.

I actually felt a little down after this as it reminded me that she was no longer with us (it is the first time I have inherited money). I also feel like I have somehow cheated in my quest to become debt, don't get me wrong I am very greatful but in a way I wanted to clear it myself. Is that weird?
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• hydrangea_2
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss, Muhren. However, pleased for you about this opportunity. I understand about the wanting to pay it off yourself, something similar happened to me. Why don't you pay off your highest interest debt, and then leave some aside as an emergency fund if you don't already have one?
  • Muhren
    Options
    I am paying back my folks as they are looking after my finances. I have paid the cheque into a new bank account (waiting for an activation code) once I have that I will transfer it all over. I am thinking of going to Canada to visit a mate next summer so I can use some of that money to do something other than just pay off debt.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• claire1a
    claire1a Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Muhren, Sorry for your loss and I completely understand you not wanting to use this money to clear off debts. I inherited money from my grandma and this went straight into a savings account - this has been used for my 30th trip to florida, getting a dropped curb and some went to clearning off a CC. The rest has been earmarked for replacing my kitchen's flat roof and £1000 of pure emergancy never to be touched ever ever fund...

I suggest that you keep some of this money aside as an emergancy fund and I think using some of the money for something fantastic like a trip to Canada will be a fantastic legacy to your great Aunt (this is just my opinion tho!).
    No longer Debt free
    EF - £525.27/£1000 New York £0/£1500
    SCC- £3000 SL overpayment £2500 M+D - £4000
  • Muhren
    Options
    Have updated my sig, I now have less than 10% of my debt left to pay (plus interest/fees that will be added on, which my dad has been paying). Besides Christmas I have a bit of an expensive month but will still be able to get below 3k by the end of the year.

All being well I will be able to clear the capital by the end of Feb. That is all dependant on getting my company car and being able to sell mine. The delivery of the car has already been put back a couple of weeks, and from other peoples experiences it could be months!

I will also be starting a new job at the end of Feb start of March, which will mean a bit of extra money I can throw that at the interest that I owe my dad.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• Muhren
    edited 1 February 2016 at 10:26AM
    Options
    Happy new year everyone!

I have just had a look back at my post from this time last year and my target was to get below 16k. I have well and truly smashed that, as I am now below £2,700.I know that I had some inheritance but I still can't believe I have paid it down by this much.

As it stands my DFD will be in September but I am hoping that I can bring that forward a couple of months.

Here's to a great 2016 for everyone!!!
    DFD - 17/04/2016

• Nessa56
    Nessa56 Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Muhren wrote: »
    Happy new year everyone!

I have just had a look back at my post from this time last year and my target was to get below 16k. I have well and truly smashed that, as I am now bloew £2,700.I know that I had some inheritance but I still can't believe I have paid it down by this much.

As it stands my DFD will be in September but I am hoping that I can bring that forward a couple of months.

Here's to a great 2016 for everyone!!!

Brilliant. Well done :T:T

Happy new year

V
    X
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue :staradmin :T:T
  • vw_campervan_mum
    Options
    Well done and Happy New Year :)
    Debt Free. Have my Van. :) Find dream
    Frugal 2016 Target @£400 per month
    Month 1 £400/£400 Total of 6 Months: £/£2400
    Food £0/£120 pm Diesel £0/£100 Me/DD £0/£80 Yearly (clothes/holidays/presents) £0/£100

It's not the end, it's the journey and how we travelled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure