Full time mum breaking up :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Afraid_of_Kittens
    Options
    Mummy1986 wrote: »
    I’d say £120k max. £77k left to pay.

There is £43,000 capital in the property.

10% will be disregarded and then 50% of the remainder will be treated as your capital = £19,350.

There is a 26 weeks disregard from the date you leave the property.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/365782/hbgm-bw1-assessment-of-capital.pdf

v a dwelling formerly occupied by the claimant following estrangement or divorce from a former partner. The disregarded period begins on the date of leaving the home. A disregard under this provision can only be applied for 26 weeks unless the home is occupied by a former partner who is a lone parent when the disregard applies for so long as the home is so occupied
    HB Sch 6 Para 25; CTB Sch 5 Para 25

If it was more than 26 weeks ago there is no disregard.

There is no disregard as you are not taking active steps to sell the property, you are not taking legal action to recover the property as your home, the ownership of the home is not in dispute, the property is not occupied by a former partner and your children (if you lived in the property with your children your ex-partner can claim housing benefit as the capital value of the property is disregarded - if he had custody of the children then you can claim housing benefit as a single person and the capital value of the property would be disregarded).

If you make no attempts to sell or recover the property within 26 weeks of leaving all your means tested benefits will cease.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    I agree, Poppy.

The only case where I have seen someone classed as homeless in this situation (i.e having a legal right to remain in the property) is when there has been domestic abuse. Even then they are often put in emergency/temporary accommodation.

Of course, there might be some councils who have lots of social housing available but I very much doubt it.

The only option is to site being unable to live in the matrimonial house due to partner's unreasonable behaviour/detrimental atmosphere to children etc PLUS documented evidence that you have made moves to sort out the house situation through mediation/solicitor.

Your last paragraph sums up what happens.

Enough information is supplied to satisfy that they cannot live in the house and also the house cannot be sold to get hold of any capital, because there is joint equity, therefore unable to force the sale easily.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure