Ancestry.co.uk

Options
I've been a member for six months now, and after an initial burst, now want to "pause" my family history work. As a result I am thinking about cancelling my subscription.

The problem is that I will lose access to the photos and records I have added to my tree from the site and other users. What is the best and cheapest way to save these? I have quite a lot, hence why I am looking for a better solution than just "download them onto your PC".

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    You can download the tree itself to a GEDCOM file - see under "Tree Settings". GEDCOM is a standard and is readable by other software. However it wont include all of the data. The only thing to do with the detailed stuff like photos is to "download them onto your PC" and keep a copy on a memory stick.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    I am with Ancestry.co.uk and only subscribe for a month every now and again. Just cancel your subscription and you will still be able to log-on, update your family tree, upload pictures, etc. Nothing is lost.

You will not be able to fully search their databases until you subscribe again. But that doesn't stop you receiving suggestions, etc.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting subject this.

Over 10 or more years I've worked on my Family History.

First at a library on their Ancestry set up and then at home using a Heritage site which was free and allowed use of a family tree which for free only recorded 250 entries and which I completed, photos and all and managed to print out even if it was something like 32 A-4 sheets which I had to stick together.

This was all 5 or 6 years ago.

But with 2021 coming up in the not too distant I wanted to have another blast and this time, tight git that I am, I'm going to shell out and do things properly.

So which is the best value site, Ancestry or Find my Past or is there another?

Do they all allow you to put photos alongside the person's entry on a tree?

Do they all allow you to print out a full tree?

I see from F_u_n above that Ancestry keeps your records, tree and photos even if the subscription has run out. Is that the same for all?

Any other tips.

Thanks.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • claire07
    claire07 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    I did a similar thing a few years ago and before my Ancestry sub ran out I treated myself to Family Tree Maker which enabled me to download all the ancestry info (including media items) and see them whenever I wished.
    At the time I was able to get FTM via 3x Tesco vouchers which made it a good deal. Whenever ancestry have a free weekend I can still update my tree online then download it to FTM to have access to everything.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get yourself a family tree software package ( there are paid for and free versions available) and make sure you download records as you find them

That way your research is under your control and you can look at it/work on it whenever you like.

Use Ancestry or FindMyPast (or other sites) as places to search and find information, not as a place to store your tree.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    TonyMMM wrote: »
    Get yourself a family tree software package ( there are paid for and free versions available) and make sure you download records as you find them

That way your research is under your control and you can look at it/work on it whenever you like.

Use Ancestry or FindMyPast (or other sites) as places to search and find information, not as a place to store your tree.

I second this advice. I've been researching my tree for years, pre web days even.
    The only safe way is to keep all your data, images, records etc with you, on your PC, & fully backed up elsewhere

Never entrust a web based site as the only repository for your records
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 October 2018 at 3:23PM
    Options
    I have been an avid Ancestry / Family Tree Maker user for 8 years - and believe that if you cancel your subscription at any point - you keep your access to Ancestry and what you have already built up on line ….
    In fact - you can still add to your tree(s) from other (free) sources (such as https://www.familysearch.org/)
    But as Farway says - never trust ANY on-line repository to hold everything
    BACK IT UP AS A GEDCOM file !
    I paid about £70 for 12 months all access - which was unbeatable
    From ancestrys site
    Family trees

Unless you delete them, any trees you’ve created in your account will remain on the site whether or not you have a subscription. As a registered guest, you’ll be able to do the following with your tree:
    •Add and remove people and photos
    •Add, delete, and edit names, dates, and other facts
    •Manage your tree settings
    •Invite friends and family to view your tree
    •See if you have new hints

We don’t delete family trees, but you can delete trees you've created at any time. Before deleting a tree from your account, you may want to save a copy of it by downloading the tree to your computer in the form of a GEDCOM file.

You will not be able to do the following:
    •View records attached to your tree (unless you uploaded them yourself or they’re from free databases). However, any records or media that you’ve downloaded to your computer will still be available to you after your subscription ends.
    •View hints, or attach hints to your tree
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 1 January 2019 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Slinga, Unfortunately it is not possible to cover all the bases by subscribing to one site only. This is because, in the UK, local archivists can choose who they want to use to upload their records. Some chose ancestry and some FMP. I have ancestors in East Yorkshire and some record data is on ancestry, some on findmypast and some more in local record offices. I have cancelled my ancestry sub and unlike other posters here, I cannot see my family tree which I created on there.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »
    Slinga, Unfortunately it is not possible to cover all the bases by subscribing to one site only. This is because, in the UK, local archivists can choose who they want to use to upload their records. Some chose ancestry and some FMP. I have ancestors in East Yorkshire and some record data is on ancestry, some on findmypast and some more in local record offices.

And in my experience an awful lot of it is wrong, you have check & double check & then it may be right, or not.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2018 at 3:08AM
    Options
    Just checking out Ancestry, Find my Past and My Heritage.

The clincher for me would be the 1939 Registry which only Find my Past had until Ancestry added it at the end of September.

Next important is being able to print out a hard copy of the family tree.
    As far as I can see only My Heritage allows that, although all three will keep the family tree in the archives and allow access even if you are no longer a paying member.

So for me now the clincher between Ancestry and Find my Past is which one allows to print the tree.
    Anyone know the answer to this????

JohnR you've used Ancestry but say you can't keep your records and Tree.
    That doesn't seem to be the case from what I've read. Can you expand on this please.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure