Hot water pipe lagging

Options
I've just took up the floorboards and lagged the hot water pipes with foam insulation, and also whilst I was doing it, insulated the outside wall within the joists .
However, some pipes were so close to each other I insulated them together, and now realise that some may have been cold water pipes (i.e. the rising main). Should I undo this or will it help.Also I mean to insulate the cupboard where the header tanks are housed and have left some of the hot pipes within this cupboard floor to help heat it, (minus about half a yard of floorboard, which I shall replace with a grille of sorts. Is this good practice.
I have run out of the foam insulation (1 metre lengths) and wondered in I could use metalised bubble wrap, as advertised in Screwfix Autumn catalogue, perhaps cut into strips or to size to fit round the pipes, (then tape)Sorry for all the questions but have the bit in my teeth.
Can you help Mr.Plumber.

Comments

• mattt44
    mattt44 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    I'm glad you asked about insulation, because its been in my head for a week or two, if someone knows of the best moneysaving way to buy insulation could they please let me know.
    I've seen it in B&Q and the like, but it seems very expensive for what it is, even at screwfix it was expensive.
    I was thinking of lagging the pipes under the floors same as you Ken, what did you insulate the walls within the joists with?
    I've almost finished building heat deflectors behind every radiator, double thickness cardboard, with bubblewrap (if it fits behind the rad) on the back and foil over the front. Over alot of my rads I have windows with wooden cills, so I have a piece of foil fronted cardboard coming out at an angle to deflect the heat away from the window and just pushing the heat over the cill and I have to say this seems to work very very well. We seem to get alot more heat from the rads now.
    Hope I haven't hijacked your thread a bit, sorry.

Matt
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    mattt44 wrote:
    I'm glad you asked about insulation, because its been in my head for a week or two, if someone knows of the best moneysaving way to buy insulation could they please let me know.Matt

You can normally get grants for it (either professional installation or DIY). Check out the grants section of the energy savings trust:

http://www.est.org.uk/myhome/

It's also worth checking with your energy suppliers as these tend to run offers as well.
  • mattt44
    Options
    Thanks Lee I do appreciate you replying (on Kens thread, sorry Ken), but I should have been clearer, I meant pipe lagging insulation.
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    mattt44 wrote:
    Thanks Lee I do appreciate you replying (on Kens thread, sorry Ken), but I should have been clearer, I meant pipe lagging insulation.

Gotcha. Shame :( . I take it lagging is out of scope on any of the grants then?
  • mattt44
    Options
    We earn too much to get a grant apparently, on £15000 for 2 people and a child, we seem to be just outside any help really.

Thanks
    Matt
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi Mat....tis OK ....got some cheap pipe lagging ex Friday Ad private advert..100 one metre lengths for £15 plus £5 travel, so well pleased....neighbour is buying the surplus at £1 a length...and bought some of that metalised bubble wrap years ago..offcuts..so am able to do the wall/joists area.Got Energy Savings Trust recommended company coming on Friday to assess possible grants, am over sixty so touch wood.
    There is an insulation firm mentioned in Friday ad (free.. available in my town at Tescos or worth checking online.)
    Did the same as you Matt, re radiator backing using these offcuts, and shelves on sills.
    Curious the gas readings have gone down a little over the week, yet quite a marked reduction in electric meter readings...early days..tho could be the pump doesn't come on so often.
    Did wonder whether insulating the pipes in the centre of the house was worth it, seeing as how the heat given off is contributing to the overall warmth, but near the wall almost certainly is needed. Like you, can't find cheap fibrewool anyway, only huge lumps for overall loft covereage.
    Will let you know via this thread any further info. Cheers for now.
  • Ken68
    Options
    http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Category.asp?iCategoryID=509 Here as some cheaper materials, Matt......
  • Ken68
    Options
    pps......Focus 22mm pipe lagging is 5 rolls for less than £3....get an oap to buy, get 10% off on a Tuesday.
  • mattt44
    Options
    Thanks Ken, much appreciated, I'll have a look at this next month, I've no DIY/household budget left this month, the £3.99 apple tree from Netto, pushed me over :)
  • uncleseagull
    Options
    We are about to have loft insulation installed. Can anyone tell me if I still need to lag pipes that will be under the insulation? Trying to save myself an extra job.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport