Egg - no details - is there any point persuing

Options
My Husband had a loan from Egg and a credit card back in later 1999/ early 2000, he then had a top up loan around 2001/2002.

We then paid this loan off at some point prior to 2005 with a loan from another internet bank who I can't remember it was (may have been cahoot - this was paid off with a nationwide loan - which was fully paid off).

We are pretty sure there was PPI on the egg loan and CC, but do not have any of the paperwork - as we paid it off before all the PPI issues arose. I did help my BIL successfully reclaim from egg back in 2010.

My Husband has since moved banks (in 2006 - from Lloyds) and we do not have any of the bank details.

I thought it was worth trying to submit a claim in egg but Canada square have come back saying they can't find any details. We gave them our 6 previous address - back to 1999.

I am guessing as we probably closed the account somewhere in about 2003/04 they would have disposed of any details? Also we cannot get old back statements as we closed the old bank account again over 10 years old

I just want to check is there is any other avenues to pursue, or is it just time to admit that chances are zero?

thanks all

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    is it just time to admit that chances are zero?
    I don't see where you can go with this. You aren't even certain you had PPI with this lender.
  • Nickijacombs
    Options
    I don't see where you can go with this. You aren't even certain you had PPI with this lender.

Yeah this was mine conclusion, just wanted to check that there wasn't anything else we could check before calling it a day.

We are pretty sure we had PPI as my husband recalls speaking to someone on the phone that suggested he may not be offered the loan if he didn't take the" full protected loan". But obviously as we have no paperwork we cant be 100% sure.
  • Abs99
    Abs99 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had barely more than you, I had a vague idea when I had taken out the credit card, no clue about the details of the loan. No paperwork and no statements. I thought it was a dead end but I also figured I!!!8217;d try the resolver link through here and see what happened. I filled out ONLY the online form with the thinnest of details and gave reasons I thought it was missold (use the guidance pages on MSE website) and they wrote to me to acknowledge the query, again about two weeks later to say there was no PPI on the loan but detailing the last digits of the card (I didn!!!8217;t provide this) and saying they would reply within 4 weeks. I then got a text saying claim successful (but not how much!) and it should arrive within 10 days. Yesterday I opened a cheque for £791 that dated from 2006 on a card with an opening limit of £1000.

Give it a go. It!!!8217;s painless and surely worth a punt?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I thought it was worth trying to submit a claim in egg but Canada square have come back saying they can't find any details. We gave them our 6 previous address - back to 1999.
    Abs99 wrote: »
    I thought it was a dead end but I also figured I'd try the resolver link through here and see what happened. I filled out ONLY the online form with the thinnest of details and gave reasons I thought it was missold. Give it a go. It's painless and surely worth a punt?
    Since a "Resolver" Egg complaint would simply go to Canada Square who have already said they have no details, why would it be worth a "punt"?

The "Resolver tool" is just an E-Mail template and does not somehow magic up records which no longer exist.
    Yesterday I opened a cheque for £791 that dated from 2006
    The OP of this thread was hoping to complain about finance from six years earlier.

Regardless, well done on your own personal success (which you would have enjoyed irrespective of "Resolver")
  • tay14
    tay14 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I had barely more than you, I had a vague idea when I had taken out the credit card, no clue about the details of the loan. No paperwork and no statements. I thought it was a dead end but I also figured I!!!8217;d try the resolver link through here and see what happened. I filled out ONLY the online form with the thinnest of details and gave reasons I thought it was missold (use the guidance pages on MSE website) and they wrote to me to acknowledge the query, again about two weeks later to say there was no PPI on the loan but detailing the last digits of the card (I didn!!!8217;t provide this) and saying they would reply within 4 weeks. I then got a text saying claim successful (but not how much!) and it should arrive within 10 days. Yesterday I opened a cheque for £791 that dated from 2006 on a card with an opening limit of £1000.

Give it a go. It!!!8217;s painless and surely worth a punt?

I have just done exactly the same.I don’t know any of my egg card details so I just filled out the in line form on the Canada square operations web site to check for ppi and I received a letter back saying that I had ppi on my account around 4 days later.
    I filled out the on line claim form on Saturday and I have received a letter today saying they are looking into my claim and will be in contact in 4 weeks. So will have to see what happens.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,548 Forumite
    Options
    Send a SAR and £10 to see what inf is left. If there's none, that's it.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    tay14 wrote: »
    II don!!!8217;t know any of my egg card details so I just filled out the in line form on the Canada square operations web site to check for ppi and I received a letter back saying that I had ppi on my account around 4 days later.
    Thanks for posting, but your experience is totally irrelevant to that of the OP of this thread who has already been informed by Canada Square that they have no record of her finance.
    -taff wrote: »
    Send a SAR and £10 to see what inf is left.
    SARs become free from 25/05/18.
  • betty77
    betty77 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I would send in a free SAR next week to get all the info they have on them and be sure to add proof of your current address as they will sometimes halt any investigation if they cannot verify your new address.

Egg is a funny one I was told by barclays they had no record of me having any egg accounts with them, I then went to canada sq who found a loan in my name but no credit card. However canada squre then passed my details onto Barclays who then did find an account in my name but they halted the investigation because they could not verify my details. Once I passed their security verification over the phone it has been reopened and is now progressing

I must admit I am a little dubious about how they could not find an account based on any of my old addresses and then suddenly they could but I think it would pay to be persistant and send in a SAR after the 25th just to ensure they aren't missing anything which could help your case.

Good luck!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    betty77 wrote: »
    I must admit I am a little dubious about how they could not find an account based on any of my old addresses and then suddenly they could
    Did FOS state this was fraud too? ;)

As you say, it (sometimes) pays to be persistent, although the likelihood of records still existing diminishes the longer ago the account was closed. The OP of this thread closed the account in 2006 and the finance in question was six years prior to that.
  • betty77
    betty77 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I think most people know if they are chancing their arm and there expectations will reflect that. However the banks are not generally paying out on PPI claims that are dubious. If someone recieves PPI then it has almost certainly been shown to be a valid claim or else the bank and POS would reject it after investigation.

Hopefully in future people will carefully read all documentation on financal products but it was a fact that some banks were knowingly misleading their customers to gain financial benefit and that was wrong and people are quite rightly able to seek compensation. I do agree with you that the claims companies are awful but I see nothing wrong with individuals making any complaint regarding PPI to the banks or the FOS they care to.

I do appreciate your honesty about your own motivation but I think the causes of low rates of interest on savings are far more complex this is a link to an post which it explains it well and says nothing about PPI compensation pay outs.

https://www.dailyreckoning.co.uk/economy/why-rates-are-so-low-and-where-theyre-going-next/

I understand you might be peeved that people you see as irresponsible are getting a windfall while your savings have such a poor return and I admit it does seem unfair that people who have done what they were told was the responsible thing i.e. save are missing out. However your resentment is misplaced and it might be better to take your own personal resentments out of the equation when replying to peoples questions on this subforum in future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure