PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 16 mega index/christmas chat!!!

Options

Comments

• crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    You poor thing, you should be spending time with your baby! On the bright side, by the time Christmas comes your little one will be reacting to lights and smiling and gurgling like a good 'un :)

Thank you. I hope she will. I've gone a little mad. Any "baby's first Christmas" things I can find I now have. Including her own personalised stocking, decoration and present sack :) and even though she won't understand yet I got an elf on a shelf.
    I think I'm a little more excited than usual. If that's even possible.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you. I hope she will. I've gone a little mad. Any "baby's first Christmas" things I can find I now have. Including her own personalised stocking, decoration and present sack :) and even though she won't understand yet I got an elf on a shelf.
    I think I'm a little more excited than usual. If that's even possible.
    Something that our lo loved last year was a musical biscuit tin. I bought it from Marks at the end of October - she was just 7 months at the time - when it was on 1/2 price promotion (£6 I think) and didn't put it away until May, so we had jingle bells until then! We'll keep it as a Christmas trinket for years, until she's old enough to look after it herself.

I took the biscuits out and forgot about them btw, but they still tasted ok out of date!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Gwendolyn
    Options
    I am mostly good at OS ways except when it comes to one or two things and I loose the plot and spend like there's no tomorrow. Christmas being one of my weak spots.

This year I've bought over half the 40 gifts I give by shopping throughout the year and have gone well under budget so far. I even bought some in the January sales!

I try to be sensible with gifts and generally am. When it comes my children it's harder - I don't mind investing in longer term gifts - such as instruments, bikes etc
    My daughter would like an electric guitar - she's been playing acoustic for a couple of years. We set her a savings target and if she reaches it - we will go halves on a good quality guitar. Her target is over 6 months pocket and birthday and chore money - a lot for an 8 year old. But she's determined and focussed and we're taking advice from her guitar teacher.

I really fall down on excessive spending on food and decorations etc. This will be our first Christmas without my mother - so tough for me and the children who miss granny very much. For her last Christmas, dad decorated their house like a grotto with thousands of lights and snowglobes etc. It was magical.
    The children loved it so much I'd like to recreate a touch of that this year. I think I have plenty of lights (though the mice may have eaten them) and lots of tree decorations. I am perfectly capable of making decorations too but I am drawn to certain things like light up decorations that we don't have.
    On the other hand, I know Christmas is a short period and anything I buy will have limited use each year (assuming it lasts more than one season), so it seems unwise to spend much. Better buy a nice light that lasts the whole year if that makes sense.
    Even so, I get drawn to decorations like a moth to a flame!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    When our two were littlies, I used to give them a jelly bean each to plant on Christmas Eve and tell them that they were magic beans sent to good children by Santa's elves. Before they got up in the morning I swapped the beans for a candy lollipop (the big ones that you get at the seaside) then we made a mould to press in 32 tiny reindeer hoofprints into the ground and sprinkled glitter in them.
    They still remember it now and they are now 27 and 22:eek: Hopefully they will do the same for their children
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    Things like that do last a long time. I remember when I was 4 or so hearing my mum yell "ouch" late on Christmas Eve. She came up stairs to show me her foot, Rudolph had stood on it when she was feeding him his carrot she said. She had a perfect hoofprint on the top of her foot.
    Turns out she had dropped a can of fruit on it when she was making the trifle and it happened to make the right shape. But it stuck with us for years and I told EVERYONE about Rudolf.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Wow, those stories are amazing. I'll be sure to do things like that when I have kids (let's hope that's not any time soon)!!
  • Handbag59
    Options
    I saw Christmas decorations in the window of John Lewis at St Pancras this morning.

I am still beavering away at my Christmas makes, here are the most recent

http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/50-makes-for-christmas-11-to-20.html
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Handbag59 wrote: »
    On FB I saw a Christmas related post suggesting a different advent calendar idea. Have a box that you put something into each day to give to the food bank, they suggested dropping it off on Christmas eve but I think that would be too late!

Now that Advent Calenders are out, I always buy some and pop them into the food bank on the 20th November so that they can give them to families with children, little things like that mean a lot to children who don't understand why they can't have one.
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I have just bought loads of seeds from the garden centre, all at 50p and some from Wilko's (Own brand) for 10p.

My God daughter and Niece have both got into growing their own food, so I am making them up a hamper with seeds, gardening gloves that I got from Wilko's 3 pairs for 25p and reduced pots (10p, 25p and 50p) and a trowel and fork that were under £2 in the gardening sale. So £6 for a gift that will last a year and help save them money.

I have a lot of baskets that I got from the market for pennies......... literally 10p each and I have some from fruit gifts that people have sent us over the years. I am always on the lookout throughout the year.

Wilko still have their garden sale on and remember at the moment up to the end of October, most garden centres have reduced plants.
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Now that Advent Calenders are out, I always buy some and pop them into the food bank on the 20th November so that they can give them to families with children, little things like that mean a lot to children who don't understand why they can't have one.
    Aww, that's a lovely idea ❤

There was a definite chill in the air this morning and, when we did our shopping yesterday I noticed that Aldi were sneaking their Christmas stock in. This is my favourite time of year :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure